2020 Packers Defensive Backs

Shanedorf

Green Bay Packers DBs have a new coach in Jerry Gray - who has massive amount of NFL experience.
Gray is entering his 33rd season in the National Football League, having played for nine seasons and coached for the past 23

He and Pettine haven't worked together before - but Mike is pretty stoked to have him on board.
Gute has given him a bunch of youngsters to mold into NFL players - but with limited time to do it

q3ns8s82m9xcvbxkdjnv.jpg

CB Room

Jaire Alexander
Kevin King
Tramon Williams
Chandon Sullivan
Josh Jackson
Ka'Dar Hollman
Will Sunderland
Kabion Ento
Stanford Samuels
DeShaun Amos
Marc-Antoine Dequoy

Safety Room

Darnell Savage
Adrian Amos
Raven Greene
Will Redmond
Vernon Scott
Henry Black
Frankie Griffin

https://www.packers.com/team/players-roster/

umta46fyxvx7sapf9tzd

gh0byin4md4opmdaw9qx

uffhqktzf5djlysfi0po

ekzpdxt0edixgtemwkhv

• Like 1

2019 Crew was ranked at number 9 in pass defense at Football Outsiders

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/nfl/team-defense/2019

2019 pass defense: Opponent Passer Rating = 82.8
That was good enough to rank number 5 in the NFL

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opponent-average-team-passer-rating

More team stats here

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/team-stats/

• Like 2

The thing with Jerry Gray is that he's an aggressive coach and pushes his players hard. With that in mind, I can't help but think some of these non-starters like Hollman and Jackson will greatly benefit from their time together. Perhaps Gray can clean up some of the issues that have dogged Jackson in his pro career. Given that we haven't resigned Tramon, I'm thinking that Gray will help Pettine bring a more aggressive attitude to our defensive backfield, especially given how aggressive Savage is as a Safety.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

2019 Crew was ranked at number 9 in pass defense at Football Outsiders

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/nfl/team-defense/2019

2019 pass defense: Opponent Passer Rating = 82.8
That was good enough to rank number 5 in the NFL

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opponent-average-team-passer-rating

More team stats here

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/team-stats/

I'm not convinced the pass defense is a top 10 unit. Look at the QBs they went against:

Trubisky X2

Cousins X2

Stafford

D. Blough

Flacco

Wentz

Prescott

Carr

M. Moore

Rivers

K. Allen

Jimmy G.

D Jones

D Haskins

5 rookie/backup QBs and Trubisky twice, that's 7 games against sub par QBs. The best QBs they played against was probably Prescott, Jimmy G, and P. Rivers. Both Jimmy G and Rivers had their way with the secondary, won't count Prescott since they were down big the whole game and was force to throw.

5 minutes ago, dwaye50327 said:

I'm not convinced the pass defense is a top 10 unit. Look at the QBs they went against:

Trubisky X2

Cousins X2

Stafford

D. Blough

Flacco

Wentz

Prescott

Carr

M. Moore

Rivers

K. Allen

Jimmy G.

D Jones

D Haskins

5 rookie/backup QBs and Trubisky twice, that's 7 games against sub par QBs. The best QBs they played against was probably Prescott, Jimmy G, and P. Rivers. Both Jimmy G and Rivers had their way with the secondary, won't count Prescott since they were down big the whole game and was force to throw.

I would absolutely take Stafford, Wentz and Cousins over Jimmy G at this moment, and Rivers was a shell of himself this year.  Prescott is harder to judge, I put him somewhere between Jimmy G and that first group probably, given his career at large.   

14 minutes ago, dwaye50327 said:

Trubisky X2

Cousins X2

Stafford

D. Blough

Flacco

Wentz

Prescott

Carr

M. Moore

Rivers

K. Allen

Jimmy G.

D Jones

D Haskins

DVOA is adjusted for opponent already. So it not only factors in the teams (QBs) GB faced, but also every other team in the league.

• Like 3

Still think Josh Jackson has a chance, which I did not expect to be saying at this point.  I had completely written him off until the end of last year, when he started to show up on ST.  Played physical against the double teams as a gunner, and was on a number of occasions was able to fight straight through it.  Also was solid on the outside in kickoff coverage, made a few tackles and generally did a good job taking on his blocker and working through them, rather than around them.  He's got a long way to go to have a real chance as a NFL starter at CB, but it starts with making the team and he'll do that by excelling at ST.  You want to see your struggling guys put the effort in where they get snaps, and that's exactly what he's doing.  No way to know how it'll turn out, but it seems his head is in the right place and he sure looks like an NFL player on the eye test.  Just needs to figure out how to play man without being on the back foot literally every step of every snap.

Also pretty high on Kadar Hollman and to a lesser extent Kabian Ento.  Both showed pretty well in preseason last year from memory, and both have the physical tools.  Hollman can run (4.38 40), has NFL size (6', 196), and has crazy upper body strength (18 reps on the bench) and very good agility (6.81 3-cone).  Hollman was pretty sticky in man and effective in press, and snagged an INT playing the route perfectly.  Ento is a fun little lottery ticket: 6'1.5", 190, 32" arms and superb explosion numbers (41.5" vert, 133" broad).  I can live with a 4.54 40 with that length and strength (11 reps on the bench), and he looked surprisingly good in man for a guy who had never played CB in college.  Excellent at finding the ball and attacking it with those long arms too.

All around, I think there's some interesting pieces in the back half of this group.  I still like Greene, though the hype was always way overboard for what he actually was, and honestly Redmond's pretty much an ideal fourth safety.  Can get you out of a game at any DB position, even if he's not particularly great at any of them, and plays his *** off down to down.  Loves to hit and compete.  Good ST and glue guy, kinda a destitute man's combination of Jarrett Bush and Micah Hyde.  Still has those high end physical tools too, so if the light ever really comes on there you could have a legit stud.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

I dunno, CB room looks a little weak on paper. Need a minimum of one of Sullivan, Jackson, or Hollman to take a significant step this year.

indeed. And Pettine just said they're still talking to 38, so we'll see what happens there.
Lots of bodies and a new position coach, but the abbreviated off season hurts the youngsters
There are/were some serviceable vets like Prince Amukamara, but he just signed elsewhere.

I would be interested to see if Jaire could play slot CB and have somebody else win a spot outside

5b7659a947481.image.jpg?resize=1200,769

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

indeed. And Pettine just said they're still talking to 38, so we'll see what happens there.
Lots of bodies and a new position coach, but the abbreviated off season hurts the youngsters
There are/were some serviceable vets like Prince Amukamara, but he just signed elsewhere.

I would be interested to see if Jaire could play slot CB and have somebody else win a spot outside

5b7659a947481.image.jpg?resize=1200,769

If we can keep the young guys and still have 38 at a good price i'd take him for another year. He was really good last year and has aged well.