2020 Packers Defensive Backs

Shanedorf

On 7/1/2020 at 9:02 AM, vegas492 said:

I agree.  If he was in their plans, he would have signed an extension by now.  What we've heard out of Jones' camp is that they've had "discussions".  Probably agent initiated or a deal would be done already.

I'm not going to like it when he leaves, because I am a Jones fan, but I get it.  And I'd much, much, much rather pay a starting corner a second contract than a starting running back.

Same. Love the dude but it's just not possible to keep him. Sucks.

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/ranking-the-packers-no-51-kadar-hollman

CB Ka’dar Hollman (6-0, 196, second year, Toledo)

“He’s a scrappy, strong individual. He wants to get up there and fight with these receivers, and that’s a great thing in this league because that’s what coaches want to see,” veteran cornerback Tramon Williams observed last summer. “They want to see you get in the guy’s face and knock the receivers off their routes and challenge these guys, not give up easy completions. That’s the things coaches like and that’s the things that they teach. That’ll definitely get him in the league and he’ll be in for a long time doing those types of things.”

“I just think there’s times where he’s had practices where you have to really go back and look to see if a ball even got caught on him,” Pettine said last year. “He’s been up essentially with the ones and the twos most of the time, so it’s not like he’s been kicking butt in the JV game and feeling good about it. He’s been up against some of our better guys and more than held his own.”

7 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

“He’s a scrappy, strong individual. He wants to get up there and fight with these receivers, and that’s a great thing in this league because that’s what coaches want to see,” veteran cornerback Tramon Williams observed last summer. “They want to see you get in the guy’s face and knock the receivers off their routes and challenge these guys, not give up easy completions. That’s the things coaches like and that’s the things that they teach. That’ll definitely get him in the league and he’ll be in for a long time doing those types of things.”

“I just think there’s times where he’s had practices where you have to really go back and look to see if a ball even got caught on him,” Pettine said last year. “He’s been up essentially with the ones and the twos most of the time, so it’s not like he’s been kicking butt in the JV game and feeling good about it. He’s been up against some of our better guys and more than held his own.”

They should have a guy like Hollman watching tapes of Al Harris. When I read Tramon's quote, Al Harris is the guy I immediately thought of.  

• Like 1

From Packers Wire

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2020/07/10/tramon-williams-still-unsigned-ranks-as-one-of-nfls-best-slot-defenders/

Even at age 36, cornerback Tramon Williams ranked as one of the NFL’s top slot defenders during the 2019 season.

Williams, who turned 37 in March, remains unsigned after spending the last two seasons with the Green Bay Packers.

His work last season didn’t go unnoticed. Doug Farrar of Touchdown Wire ranked Williams as the NFL’s eighth-best slot defender, noting his football intelligence and effectiveness in coverage from the slot during a highly effective year in Green Bay.

From Farrar: “Williams may not have the absolute recovery speed he once did, but he’s learned enough about the game in his 13 NFL seasons to decipher what’s coming from the opposing passing game, and he’s as smooth a route-runner as most receivers. This allows him to carry his targets from the first step through the end of the route, no matter what that route may be. That’s an incredibly valuable skill for any slot defender to have.”

usatsi_13544674.jpg?w=1000&h=667

Edited by Shanedorf

On 7/10/2020 at 12:42 PM, Shanedorf said:

Heh heh, so in last year's camp, that would have meant like Allison, Kumerow, and MVS?  :):):)  

I have no idea if it's realist, but I got hope for Josh Jackson still... especially after Gute AND Pettine hyped him. 

Though, Gute hyped all the guys that might step up to fill holes lol...

But usually Pettine is more reserved and when he says something, it's true.

11 hours ago, Beast said:

I have no idea if it's realist, but I got hope for Josh Jackson still... especially after Gute AND Pettine hyped him. 

Yah, it truly is an LOL when talking about Gute hyping guys.

Last year he hyped the linebacker named Crawford big time.  Then he mentioned Lancaster.

And...Crawford was released.

Very true about Pettine and his praise.

12 hours ago, Beast said:

When did Pettine hype Jackson? Must have missed something

13 minutes ago, festiveonion said:

When did Pettine hype Jackson? Must have missed something

I think it was during the off-season, he honestly didn't say too much, but he never does, so when he does speak, it usually means something.

He just said they need to find ways to get Jackson on the field, and talked about possibly in the slot. And he had talked Sullivan and Redmond sorta took advantage of when Jackson got banged up.

Which many writers disagree with him in the slot role...

It wasn't much, but it's more than I've heard Pettine say about any other potential guys that might step up at DL, ILB or DB... he's talked more about some at OLB.

2 hours ago, Beast said:

I think it was during the off-season, he honestly didn't say too much, but he never does, so when he does speak, it usually means something.

He just said they need to find ways to get Jackson on the field, and talked about possibly in the slot. And he had talked Sullivan and Redmond sorta took advantage of when Jackson got banged up.

Which many writers disagree with him in the slot role...

It wasn't much, but it's more than I've heard Pettine say about any other potential guys that might step up at DL, ILB or DB... he's talked more about some at OLB.

Problem is Jackson is nothing worth getting on the field until the game slows down for him.  He was a second round pick for his ability to read the QB, find the ball in the air, and make the play on it.  If he can't use those skills (and he can't when he never knows what's coming), then he's very much a JAG.  He's not a special athlete, he's got average size, doesn't turn and run particularly well, isn't a great tackler.  He's a ball hawk or he's out the door.  The question for Josh in 2020, last chance saloon, is whether or not he's comfortable enough with the pro game this year to be able to start playing proactively, rather than reactively.

1 hour ago, MrBobGray said:

Problem is Jackson is nothing worth getting on the field until the game slows down for him.  He was a second round pick for his ability to read the QB, find the ball in the air, and make the play on it.  If he can't use those skills (and he can't when he never knows what's coming), then he's very much a JAG.  He's not a special athlete, he's got average size, doesn't turn and run particularly well, isn't a great tackler.  He's a ball hawk or he's out the door.  The question for Josh in 2020, last chance saloon, is whether or not he's comfortable enough with the pro game this year to be able to start playing proactively, rather than reactively.

And I'm not disagreeing with that, (other than I think 2021 is the last chance), but people literally said he's extremely green after only one year starting in college from well before the draft, he had no chance of being prepared before year 3.

I'm not saying he's developed, I'm just saying he has the potential, especially if he gets comfortable with bump and run. But he didn't nothing both outside zone in college,.and never was really even asked.to do much back petalling, that's extremely raw.

We'll see where he is at this year.

I get the Jackson angst.  I really do.  He's done almost nothing for two years.

But...the silver lining is his RAS score.  9.27 out 10.00 at cornerback.

He's got good size for a corner.  And with that size, he had a very good 3 cone and his 40 time is mid 4.5's.  Playable.

@MrBobGray is right.  Game needs to slow down and he needs to trust what he is seeing and processing.

• Like 1