2020 Packers Defensive Backs

Shanedorf

Agree, King was good.  I'm hoping that if he can stay healthy, he'll be as good or better this year.

Shane, thanks for notes on Sullivan.  I'd earlier seen the 4.7, and wrote him off.  But if that's not fully representative, maybe he's got a chance to play in the league and be a depth guy.  I wonder how his actual game-speed will compare to Ento, for example.  

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

You're nuts. King was step for step with Jaire all year. 

Ehhhhhhhhh, this one is a stretch.  When teams passed, it was against King.  Except for the Cowboys game, anytime we got passed against it seemed to be King. 

King had 5 picks mostly because when a QB had to target one corner, he chose King. 

King certainly wasn't bad, and had a lot of good last year, but step for step with Jaire I don't know if I'd agree. 

25 minutes ago, craig said:

Agree, King was good.  I'm hoping that if he can stay healthy, he'll be as good or better this year.

Shane, thanks for notes on Sullivan.  I'd earlier seen the 4.7, and wrote him off.  But if that's not fully representative, maybe he's got a chance to play in the league and be a depth guy.  I wonder how his actual game-speed will compare to Ento, for example.  

I tried to look for some video of Sullivan running with other players.  All I could find was a 2011 high school highlight video, that he probably posted himself.  Obviously, that isn't super relevant to his current speed.  I didn't notice any lack of speed when he was on the field last season, but I also wasn't really looking for it. He certainly isn't as fast as Nick Collins, who really pops out when you watch him.  He also didn't remind me of Gunter, who needed to have perfect technique every time or he was just toast.  

39 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Ehhhhhhhhh, this one is a stretch.  When teams passed, it was against King.  Except for the Cowboys game, anytime we got passed against it seemed to be King. 

King had 5 picks mostly because when a QB had to target one corner, he chose King. 

King certainly wasn't bad, and had a lot of good last year, but step for step with Jaire I don't know if I'd agree. 

The numbers:

Alexander was targeted 98 times (55 receptions - 56% completion), King 82 (49 receptions - 60% completion). Alexander had a 2% INT rate, King had a 6% INT rate. Alexander had a 72.3 PFF rating, King had a 62.5 PFF rating.

Just now, incognito_man said:

The numbers:

Alexander was targeted 98 times (55 receptions - 56% completion), King 82 (49 receptions - 60% completion). Alexander had a 2% INT rate, King had a 6% INT rate. Alexander had a 72.3 PFF rating, King had a 62.5 PFF rating.

I don't want to accept this, so I will counter with King was covering #2 receivers and Jaire was covering #1s. 

4 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I don't want to accept this, so I will counter with King was covering #2 receivers and Jaire was covering #1s. 

King had 1027 snaps (9.5% target rate), King had 805 (10.2% target rate) as well.

So, I'd say they were targeted roughly equally, King was more prone to bigger plays (positive and negative) and Jaire was more steady and overall better.

Just now, incognito_man said:

King had 1027 snaps (9.5% target rate), King had 805 (10.2% target rate) as well.

So, I'd say they were targeted roughly equally, King was more prone to bigger plays (positive and negative) and Jaire was more steady and overall better.

Tell me, smarty, did King rip the ball out of a grown man's hands like a BAMF or no? 

• Like 1

On 5/22/2020 at 6:26 PM, incognito_man said:

Eh, you need depth to 4. Our top 2 are good, after that is all question marks.

there just aren't many teams with really deep groups at corner.  I'd rather have 2 guys you can count on to compete with the other team's best weapons than have a lesser top end and deeper group.

For once, I'm not worried about the secondary.  It's the best it's been since the 2013 season.  If a young player arises from that group of UDFA/7th rounders/Josh Jackson trash heap then this will be the second strongest unit after Edge.  If Savage stalls out in his development and isn't a great player, that could also be an issue.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

You don't have to accept it .. Jaire is clearly the more talented player.

And he’s one of only two Packers (I THINK Woodson did it, but I’m not sure) I know of to make the most beautiful play possible since I’ve watched football.  

King is just... a really unique player.  he's so tall and long.  I hope pettine puts these two to work in different ways depending on the opposing WRs rather than matching Jaire against the #1 all the time.

Jaire is like a guy who is purpose built to take emmanuel sanders or other route technicians out of the game. Jaire does everything pretty well, and plays above his size.  He's also the closest we have in the secondary to a true playmaker who will come off his assignment to make an INT or jump a route if he sees the opportunity.

King seems super well suited to cover AJ green or Kenny Golladay or other long striding receivers with air skills.  I'm not gonna say Julio since Julio does everything Sanders does well too.  King is also tall enough to cover a split out TE.

Both are good tacklers against wrs and TEs.

The biggest pass coverage gap this team has is against a move TE.  They lack a really fast competent LB/S hybrid who can make these light boxes work in practice.  I don't think that's Amos after watching him for one year, but maybe if they get more from Savage they can let Amos do more roaming and disruption.

• Like 1