2020 Packers Defensive Backs

Shanedorf

Yeah, he sounded really good.  Seemed nice, expressed his thoughts and answers very clearly and concisely, seemed to listen well and actually answer the questions asked, cheerful and a nice sense of humor, and seemed very confident both about the young player group and about his ability to help them, to teach them and help them with technique.  

I thought it was interesting that he was asked about some interception against Randy Wright back in the 80's, and he was immediately able to remember and detail the play.  He suggested that guys from the Bill Walsh tree tended to run the same simple routes, and he could tell what was going to happen from the receiver.  

To some degree, MLF is so committed to the run-pass combo and the idea that the defenses won't know what's coming.  But I admit I kinda wonder whether the Packers offense last year really was very unpredictable at all?  Or whether defenders who had seen Atlanta and San Fran and MLF's Titans over previous years pretty much already knew what was happening, and whether the offense is so simple that it really isn't very confusing or stressful to smart NFL defenders?  

• Like 1

from PackersWire:

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2020/06/12/tim-boyle-raven-greene-will-be-breakout-player-for-packers-defense-in-2020/

Backup quarterback Tim Boyle told Jimmy Christensen of Packer Report that he thinks Greene will be the defense’s breakout player in 2020.

“I said this last year and unfortunately he got hurt, but Raven Greene,” Boyle said. “He is a talented player, super smart, knows where to be, and is just one of those guys that has a knack for the ball. He is very instinctual. Hopefully, he is back and ready to go. I think he’s going to have a big year on the defensive side.”

Greene played 70 snaps on defense the first two weeks, mostly as Mike Pettine’s top hybrid safety-linebacker. He produced seven tackles and broke up a pass while giving the Packers defense a smart and capable player in the box against the run and an athletic defender of running backs and tight ends in the passing game.

usatsi_13123022.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

• Like 3

Thanks, Shane, that's interesting.  The part I especially like and hadn't appreciated previously is "super smart, knows where to be, and is just one of those guys that has a knack for the ball. He is very instinctual."  

After going back and watching the Bears game, I gotta say I am pretty interested to see Greene this year.  He plays faster than you'd expect, and he plays physical.  But also, there was this play and it makes me laugh every time I watch it.  Nothing like the Bears' starting left tackle getting bull-rushed by a DB.

Edited by MrBobGray
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

Nothing like the Bears' starting left tackle getting bull-rushed by a DB.

That had to be a fun film session... for both teams. I'm guessing his bear- OL mates won't let him live that one down

Here's Greene on the fake punt vs the dolphins

https://www.nfl.com/videos/raven-greene-successfully-mimics-dolphins-fake-punt-279815

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

After going back and watching the Bears game, I gotta say I am pretty interested to see Greene this year.  He plays faster than you'd expect, and he plays physical.  But also, there was this play and it makes me laugh every time I watch it.  Nothing like the Bears' starting left tackle getting bull-rushed by a DB

It was definitely a setback to the defense when he got hurt - IMO of course. He was making some strides early on and never caught that same wind after coming back. Perhaps this year. 

Edited by Leader

Thoughts: 

Coach looks like a madden sideline character for sure.

If we win the Super Bowl this year, it’s because this secondary is the best we’ve had since we lost Nick Collins.

I have to take a timeout to say losing Collins was devastating. He was headed to the Hall of Fame. Didn’t have the immediate impact like Sterling did but got dam.

Alexander-King-Amos-Savage is the most talented combination I can remember in our secondary across the board. Whomever the opposing QB is, Rodgers will have less to fear in the throwing windows. 

I wanna know the 3rd corner right now though. I want Sullivan out on that field but I want a capable 3rd CB to bump him off if he has a bad start, or in case of injury. Josh Jackson is still alive in my book. I’m not as high on Tramon as everyone else around here but he’s not bad and appears to bring plus leadership. Not sure what the deal is there. Hollman might ignite with the 2nd year jump. Always one of the group of five random UDFAs looks good. But uh...

We may be screwed by injury. Lacks depth. I think Gutes trying to save money on depth because he wants to back the truck up and dump his wad on Alexander AND King A$AP and just be Gucci.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

Nothing like the Bears' starting left tackle getting bull-rushed by a DB.

And that's their best Tackle going into the year too...

I was listening to Pat Kirwin and Jim Miller on Sirius the other day and they think Chicago's got the worst OL depth in the league, maybe even a bottom-5 OL overall. They were high on Cody Whitehair, but nobody else.

14 hours ago, ChaRisMa said:

I wanna know the 3rd corner right now though. I want Sullivan out on that field but I want a capable 3rd CB to bump him off if he has a bad start, or in case of injury. Josh Jackson is still alive in my book. I’m not as high on Tramon as everyone else around here but he’s not bad and appears to bring plus leadership. Not sure what the deal is there. Hollman might ignite with the 2nd year jump. Always one of the group of five random UDFAs looks good. But uh...

Why?

3 hours ago, Joe said:

I was listening to Pat Kirwin and Jim Miller on Sirius the other day and they think Chicago's got the worst OL depth in the league, maybe even a bottom-5 OL overall. They were high on Cody Whitehair, but nobody else.

Why?

10 hours ago, Joe said:

Why?

6’ 200 lbs with ball skills. Age 24. Some NFL experience. He has a chance. I still think he’d be way better being a zone boundary corner but he has a chance. Development can happen anywhere along a rookie contract. Some are late bloomers. His 2017 was awesome. I’m wondering if he was on the roster hurt last year.

8 hours ago, ChaRisMa said:

6’ 200 lbs with ball skills. Age 24. Some NFL experience. He has a chance. I still think he’d be way better being a zone boundary corner but he has a chance. Development can happen anywhere along a rookie contract. Some are late bloomers. His 2017 was awesome. I’m wondering if he was on the roster hurt last year.

Hoping for the best, expecting the worst for him.   He's on his last leg to bloom this year .. would be great to see.