2020 Packers Defensive Backs

Shanedorf

1 hour ago, MrBobGray said:

Ento is a fun little lottery ticket: 6'1.5", 190, 32" arms and superb explosion numbers (41.5" vert, 133" broad).  I can live with a 4.54 40 with that length and strength (11 reps on the bench), and he looked surprisingly good in man for a guy who had never played CB in college.  Excellent at finding the ball and attacking it with those long arms too.

Here's some WR highlights, at least he's played in the snow before.  I did laugh at his interview when they asked him about hiking in the local mountains in Colorado and he said: " I'm not about to endanger myself just to go for a walk"   LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh5kCTQpCRg

Some notes from training camp last year

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/packers-training-camp-2019/2019/8/5/20754150/as-concerns-over-kevin-kings-injury-settle-in-kabion-ento-is-emerging-for-the-packers

"Ento follows up with a really nice pbu in coverage on Shepherd. For a converted WR, Kabion Ento doesn’t look out of place at all.
Those are the type of plays that’ll get you noticed."

CB Kabion Ento keeps showing up with passes broken up. Played WR at Colorado, but he has cornerback length and a 41 1/2-inch vertical. Interesting prospect to watch rest of camp.

1146917135.jpg.0.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

I dunno, CB room looks a little weak on paper. Need a minimum of one of Sullivan, Jackson, or Hollman to take a significant step this year.

I think if you assume that King and Alexander are better than just "good", then I don't see it as weak on paper at all.

S is a pretty strong group.

King is the biggest ? since he can't be trusted to stay healthy.  But, he had his best year last year along with his healthiest year.  He gets a lot of flak on here and Alexander always gets a pass, but I don't think they are that far apart in overall talent/skill.

2 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Here's some WR highlights, at least he's played in the snow before.  I did laugh at his interview when they asked him about hiking in the local mountains in Colorado and he said: " I'm not about to endanger myself just to go for a walk"   LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh5kCTQpCRg

Some notes from training camp last year

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/packers-training-camp-2019/2019/8/5/20754150/as-concerns-over-kevin-kings-injury-settle-in-kabion-ento-is-emerging-for-the-packers

"Ento follows up with a really nice pbu in coverage on Shepherd. For a converted WR, Kabion Ento doesn’t look out of place at all.
Those are the type of plays that’ll get you noticed."

CB Kabion Ento keeps showing up with passes broken up. Played WR at Colorado, but he has cornerback length and a 41 1/2-inch vertical. Interesting prospect to watch rest of camp.

1146917135.jpg.0.jpg

Appreciate you finding that stuff, it's pretty typical preseason fluff hype but I do think just based off last year you gotta be excited to give him a longer look in camp year 2.

I swiped this one from the UDFA thread
Comments below from Packerraymond on CB Stanford Samuels III:     ( SSIII )

"Haven't seen this posted here, but apparently Samuels had an irregular heartbeat at his Combine med check, they made him do a 45 minute stress test on an elliptical in order to pass him for onfield work the next day. Said he had total dead legs the following day running the 40 and doing the workout. This according to him in a Bob McGinn article.  Samuels has some nice tape, he's long, decent cover skills, good ball skills and hits really well for a CB. If he's really a high 4.4/low 4.5 guy on a good day, might be a steal. Should challenge the back end corners for a roster spot IMO.

Scout comments via McGinn:

AFC scout: “I love his toughness and competitiveness. I almost considered making him a safety. Ball skills are a little sketchy.
I love the kid and the way he competes. Might be a practice-squad guy.”

NFC scout: “We liked him. He didn’t run great. You love the size and the length. He’s tall and leggy. Good in press. Just not real twitchy. Gets thrown on some on an island. That’s a good get. He was a draftable guy. If he ran faster he would have got drafted.”

AFC scout: “I had given him a third-round (grade) because he’s quick and is in position, but he ended up running 4.7.
When you run bad there’s nothing to hang your hat on for the guy.”

wu2c9ifidw86fn1tgxuy

The Green Bay Packers agreed to terms with CB Stanford Samuels III on Apr. 29, 2020.

Samuels appeared in 37 games with 24 starts in three seasons, totaling 145 tackles (94 solo), 5.5 tackles for a loss, a sack, 16 passes defensed, eight interceptions, a quarterback hurry and a forced fumble. In 2019, he started all 12 contests he played in and was named honorable mention All-ACC after setting career highs with 60 tackles (37 solo) and seven passes defensed. Samuels registered multiple interceptions in all three seasons, including a career-high four INTs in 2018 to rank No. 4 in the ACC.

Edited by Shanedorf
  • Like 3

Marc-Antoine Dequoy, CB-S, Universite de Montreal

Measurables: 6-2 ½, 200, 4.36. Vertical jump of 37 inches, broad jump of 10-8. He ran a blazing 3-cone of 6.65 and a short shuttle of 4.14. Arms were 32, hands were 9. On March 9, two NFL scouts conducted the pro day in Montreal on FieldTurf they described as “old and bumpy.” They also noted: “Player was ill and coughing a lot.” Later, Dequoy sought medical attention. “I got tested for COVID-19 afterward,” he said. “I had all the symptoms. I didn’t have it. That was the good news. I think it was bronchitis or the flu.” Wonderlic of 19. From Bizard Island, Montreal, Quebec, played at College Bourget High School in Rigaud, Quebec.

I assumed I’d be a safety (in Green Bay) because most of the teams saw me as that. I think they are still trying to figure out where I’ll play -  but it looks like I’m starting at corner.

11 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

I swiped this one from the UDFA thread
Comments below from Packerraymond on CB Stanford Samuels III:     ( SSIII )

"Haven't seen this posted here, but apparently Samuels had an irregular heartbeat at his Combine med check, they made him do a 45 minute stress test on an elliptical in order to pass him for onfield work the next day. Said he had total dead legs the following day running the 40 and doing the workout. This according to him in a Bob McGinn article.  Samuels has some nice tape, he's long, decent cover skills, good ball skills and hits really well for a CB. If he's really a high 4.4/low 4.5 guy on a good day, might be a steal. Should challenge the back end corners for a roster spot IMO.

Scout comments via McGinn:

AFC scout: “I love his toughness and competitiveness. I almost considered making him a safety. Ball skills are a little sketchy.
I love the kid and the way he competes. Might be a practice-squad guy.”

NFC scout: “We liked him. He didn’t run great. You love the size and the length. He’s tall and leggy. Good in press. Just not real twitchy. Gets thrown on some on an island. That’s a good get. He was a draftable guy. If he ran faster he would have got drafted.”

AFC scout: “I had given him a third-round (grade) because he’s quick and is in position, but he ended up running 4.7.
When you run bad there’s nothing to hang your hat on for the guy.”

wu2c9ifidw86fn1tgxuy

The Green Bay Packers agreed to terms with CB Stanford Samuels III on Apr. 29, 2020.

Samuels appeared in 37 games with 24 starts in three seasons, totaling 145 tackles (94 solo), 5.5 tackles for a loss, a sack, 16 passes defensed, eight interceptions, a quarterback hurry and a forced fumble. In 2019, he started all 12 contests he played in and was named honorable mention All-ACC after setting career highs with 60 tackles (37 solo) and seven passes defensed. Samuels registered multiple interceptions in all three seasons, including a career-high four INTs in 2018 to rank No. 4 in the ACC.

I felt bad when the kid ran a 4.7 but with the heart issue, you can't help but think that was the reason why it happened. His scouting reports looked good, he did some nice things on the film I saw of him though he could use a little coaching in order to be able to disengage from blocks more often. He reminds me of LaDarius Gunter a lot, both the good and the bad FWIW...

12 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Marc-Antoine Dequoy, CB-S, Universite de Montreal

Measurables: 6-2 ½, 200, 4.36. Vertical jump of 37 inches, broad jump of 10-8. He ran a blazing 3-cone of 6.65 and a short shuttle of 4.14. Arms were 32, hands were 9. On March 9, two NFL scouts conducted the pro day in Montreal on FieldTurf they described as “old and bumpy.” They also noted: “Player was ill and coughing a lot.” Later, Dequoy sought medical attention. “I got tested for COVID-19 afterward,” he said. “I had all the symptoms. I didn’t have it. That was the good news. I think it was bronchitis or the flu.” Wonderlic of 19. From Bizard Island, Montreal, Quebec, played at College Bourget High School in Rigaud, Quebec.

I assumed I’d be a safety (in Green Bay) because most of the teams saw me as that. I think they are still trying to figure out where I’ll play -  but it looks like I’m starting at corner.

I think we're going to line up a lot of these "lottery ticket" DB's all over the place. You look at Samuels' film and he's lined up in multiple spots in the defensive backfield. Someone posted that hit Henry Black made on Jalen Hurts last year that broke Hurts' visor and he made that play lining up more as a slot DB than a Safety.  Dequoy and D. Amos(former ECU CB) seem to be speed guys whose range is going to be tested more than anything else.

ACME with an article up on 7th rounder Vernon Scott

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/nfl-draft-2020-packers/2020/5/24/21267766/vernon-scotts-versatility-and-high-ceiling-could-be-overlooked-part-of-packers-draft-class

One of the Packers’ final picks of the draft could provide some upside in filling the team’s revolving door at hybrid linebacker, while providing depth at safety and on special teams. The Packers may have found their eventual answer in TCU’s Vernon Scott, selecting the senior safety in the seventh round. While Scott may not be field-ready immediately as a late blooming college player, he could represent an intriguing long-term option in the event that Greene cannot recapture some of the ability he showed prior to injury early in 2019.

1063530032.jpg.0.jpg

Article on my local guy Marc-Antoine Dequoy. Along with Reggie Begelton at WR, this year’s team might have a very Canadian vibe to it eh?

https://torontosun.com/sports/football/nfl/at-25-montreals-marc-antoine-dequoy-eyes-nfl-career-at-safety

This is the backstory of the man whose last name is pronounced “De-KWAH,” and who in conversation goes by just Marc, not Marc-Antoine.

Last month, he had one last chance to impress NFL talent evaluators at his University of Montreal ‘pro day’ — where a prospect takes part in acutely templated speed and athleticism drills, then does on-field work in game-type activities specific to his position.

By good fortune for Dequoy, U of M’s pro day was arranged for March 9 — just four days before most non-essential enterprises in Canada from schools, to sports, to shops would suddenly shut down (followed by all international borders) because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Two of 32 NFL clubs sent a scout up to watch Dequoy in action that day: The Chicago Bears and Philadelphia Eagles.

Boy, did Dequoy impress.

At 6-foot-2¾ he might be a bit taller than a typical NFL safety, but the 198-pounder from the Montreal island community of Île-Bizard proved he’s more physically and athletically talented than most top safety prospects in this year’s NFL draft — even if his on-field readiness for pro-level American football (after having only played three-down, 12-man Canadian ball on 110-yard fields) could best be described as raw, at best.

Dequoy had a scorching 4.35-second time in the 40-yard dash, and a 6.65-second three-cone shuttle.

Of 49 safeties and cornerbacks who ran the 40 at the NFL scouting combine seven weeks ago (a scout’s dream of a meat market featuring the top 338 overall draft prospects), cornerback Javelin K. Guidry of Utah was the only one to run a faster 40, in 4.29 seconds.

And none of the 20 who attempted the three-cone shuttle at the combine came close to matching Dequoy’s 6.65 time; only 11 even broke the seven-second barrier.

What’s more, only four of 20 safeties who did the vertical jump leapt higher than Dequoy’s 37 inches and only six of 19 safeties in the standing broad jump leapt further than Dequoy’s 10-feet-8.

Dequoy’s speed and athleticism numbers indeed are “pretty freaky,” NFL Network’s chief draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah told Postmedia last Thursday on a conference call.

Yet more impressively, Dequoy posted them all while afflicted, on that second Monday in March, not with the coronavirus, but with what turned out to be the seasonal flu.

“I was really sick. I started getting ill on the Saturday,” Dequoy said this week by phone, from the Montreal apartment he shares with his girlfriend. “On the Sunday, I wasn’t feeling well; just rundown. Then the night before I didn’t sleep a lot. I was really tired that morning.

More at link

Edited by SneakyFrenchSpy
One g Beg

27 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

Call me crazy but I have more confidence in Sullivan long term (slot/nickel) than I do King on the boundary. Haven’t forgotten how bad he looked vertically last year. 

You're nuts. King was step for step with Jaire all year.