2020 Packers Defensive Backs

Shanedorf

from our very own @rcon14 via ACME

Rcon14: Chandon Sullivan

The reason Green Bay is comfortable with not bringing Tramon Williams back has everything to do with Chandon Sullivan. Sullivan’s passer rating when targeted was 34.3. That number is incredibly low, but also not that predictive. Passer rating is a garbage stat, coverage is volatile year-over-year, and his snap count wasn’t that high. His PFF grade of 73.2 is solid, which is what his play felt like last year. On a roster, you need to take risks on young players somewhere, and with Sullivan’s league minimum salary and solid play, it made sense to hand him the reins to the nickel spot in 2020.

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2020/5/27/21272328/wednesday-walkthroughs-who-are-the-sleepers-on-the-packers-roster?

On 5/25/2020 at 1:04 PM, Outpost31 said:

And he’s one of only two Packers (I THINK Woodson did it, but I’m not sure) I know of to make the most beautiful play possible since I’ve watched football.  

Alternative, watch Kings interceptions against the Vikings and then tell me he's not THAT DUDE. 

That interception in the redzone where he ran the entire width of the field with Diggs and then boxed him out fully outstretched in the corner of the endzone, and then where he ran that C3 Cut to perfection, and played it perfectly to the hash to get that pick. Those were the two best defensive plays of the year.

LVSX151.gif

y8czQbG.gif

As much as people like to slurp Jaire and ride King, the alternative version of this play is:

T90IWyr.gif

and I totally get that this is a matter of opposite hashes and the like, one of them showed the ball skills and took this away, the other didn't.

Edited by AlexGreen#20

44 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

That interception in the redzone where he ran the entire width of the field with Diggs and then boxed him out fully outstretched in the corner of the endzone, and then where he ran that C3 Cut to perfection, and played it perfectly to the hash to get that pick. Those were the two best defensive plays of the year.

LVSX151.gif

Great play? You've seemingly failed to notice the only thing of relevance, namely that Cousins delivers LATE. Instead of standing in, delivering on time and taking a hit, he gets spooked by Lowry, dances backwards and ruins the timing. Then he makes an abysmal decision to force the pass anyway and compounds it by under-throwing the jump ball. All of those mistakes allowed King to factor in the play. He was beat. An accurate pass delivered on time is a TD. 

Best defensive play of the year?  No.

On 5/25/2020 at 1:04 PM, Outpost31 said:

And he’s one of only two Packers (I THINK Woodson did it, but I’m not sure) I know of to make the most beautiful play possible since I’ve watched football.  

Clay Matthews ripped the ball away from Adrian "go pick your switch" Peterson and then scored.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Clay Matthews ripped the ball away from Adrian "go pick your switch" Peterson and then scored.  

Yes.  Now somebody help me because I could swear Charles Woodson did this at one point in his career.

Jaire’s is my favorite still.  Even though he didn’t score, it was one on one.  Clay wasn’t involved in the tackle, he kinda snuck in there and stole it, which fit his finesse style.  Still an all-time favorite play of mine, but I think I literally gave myself a hernia when Jaire did that to Fant I want to say was his name.  The Broncos first round rookie TE.

Amos and Redmond, snippets from Packersnews and PackersWire

Amos has been dialed in at home with his workouts and has not been hindered by the pectoral injury that knocked him out of the NFC championship game in the first half of the January loss at San Francisco. The safety said he did not need surgery.

“It healed up pretty good,” he said. “I feel great. I’m 100% right now. So yeah, I’m feeling good.”

“In the second year of learning something, you are not just trying to get it in and learn the playbook. Now, you are trying to perfect the playbook. I feel like as a defense we should be clicking a lot faster just off of knowledge about what we have to do,” Amos said.

Amos also told reporters that he is “already learning a lot from Gray.”

“He has been in the league for a while,” Amos said. “He has played in the league and has a lot of experience and success. In the meetings that we have, you see his stance and viewpoint on playing the secondary. I just feel like he has a lot of knowledge. He has a lot to give to this young secondary.”

ca9ef5cb-b5ec-4fe8-89bb-ce79bf03e594-GPG

Edited by Shanedorf

Darnell Savagewho plays the other safety position for the Packers – is one of those young players. Many have predicted the former Maryland star to break out in 2020. During his rookie season, Savage tallied 55 total tackles and two interceptions and was named to the All-Rookie Team.

Amos believes his teammate will improve on an impressive first year in the NFL.

“He is a very smart football player. He picked up on everything really fast,” Amos said. “Coming into year two, we have the same secondary so he knows where I am gonna be, who the corners are, and things like that. I feel like he can make a big jump in that way.”

usatsi_13200439-e1568929752955.jpg?w=100

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Yes.  Now somebody help me because I could swear Charles Woodson did this at one point in his career.

Jaire’s is my favorite still.  Even though he didn’t score, it was one on one.  Clay wasn’t involved in the tackle, he kinda snuck in there and stole it, which fit his finesse style.  Still an all-time favorite play of mine, but I think I literally gave myself a hernia when Jaire did that to Fant I want to say was his name.  The Broncos first round rookie TE.

I seem to recall him doing something to Jason Witten, in 2009, but I could be mistaken...

9 hours ago, Les Punting said:

Great play? You've seemingly failed to notice the only thing of relevance, namely that Cousins delivers LATE. Instead of standing in, delivering on time and taking a hit, he gets spooked by Lowry, dances backwards and ruins the timing. Then he makes an abysmal decision to force the pass anyway and compounds it by under-throwing the jump ball. All of those mistakes allowed King to factor in the play. He was beat. An accurate pass delivered on time is a TD. 

Best defensive play of the year?  No.

As opposed to all the other interceptions where the QB makes a great play and a great decision? Duh Cousins makes a stupid play. 

King wasn't beat. He ran the entire width of the field in the hip pocket of an elite WR and had the ball skills to make a play on it. That was a phenomenal play. 

• Like 4

from PackersWire

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2020/05/28/packers-kevin-king-hailed-as-one-of-nfls-top-man-coverage-cbs/

Doug Farrar of Touchdown Wire recently set out to find the NFL’s 11 best cornerbacks in man coverage. His evaluation led him to Packers cornerback Kevin King, who he listed as the 11th best in the NFL in a man coverage role.

From Farrar’s breakdown:

At 6’3″ and 200 pounds, King is one of the better new wave of big, physical press conerbacks developing right now. Aggressive to a fault off the line of scrimmage (and occasionally too grabby), King makes quick slants and drag routes very difficult for opposing receivers, because he has the size, physicality, and short-area quickness to erase those concepts. He will occaionally get lost on the back stem of longer routes, and smaller, quicker receivers can give him fits at times, but that can be said of most bigger cornerbacks, and when King trusts his instincts and doesn’t over-concentrate through the route, he’s just fine. The third-year man from Washington is one to watch.

3 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Are you a chipmunk murderer?

I did kill one when I was like 6.  Probably negligent homicide (or whatever that term is for chipmunks), not murder.  I was chasing them from hole to hole and somehow one was too slow and I kicked it when I was running.  I was a very upset little boy.