2020 Packers Defensive Backs

Shanedorf

48 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I did kill one when I was like 6.  Probably negligent homicide (or whatever that term is for chipmunks), not murder.  I was chasing them from hole to hole and somehow one was too slow and I kicked it when I was running.  I was a very upset little boy.  

I could forgive that because there was no ill intent.  Much better than, say, throwing rocks at harmless chipmunks because they were on your backpack.  Although you should probably have not been chasing them.  Then again, you were six.  Tricky one.  I’m not sure how I feel about you anymore, Dave.

AM I SURROUNDED BY ****ING CHIPMUNK MURDERERS?

From PackersWire

Signed last May, Chandon Sullivan made plays all summer, won a roster spot at camp and then impressed every time he was on the field during the regular season. The numbers for Sullivan over a limited sample size in 2019 (350 snaps, 31 targets faced) were terrific. He broke up six passes, produced his first career interception and allowed a completion percentage of 35.5 and a passer rating of 34.3 on throws into his coverage. He proved athletic enough to handle shifty receivers in the slot, versatile enough to play out wide and even some at safety, and tough enough to play the run near the line of scrimmage.

usatsi_13799431-e1576625707804.jpg?w=100

• Like 2

DB Raven Greene: 
"He was on the field a lot the first two weeks as Pettine’s go-to option as the hybrid safety-linebacker, but his season was wrecked by a significant ankle injury. Will he win the important job again to start 2020 ?"  

usatsi_11106120-e1561480038138.jpg?w=100

1167699468.jpg.0.jpg

( I forgot he switched numbers)

Edited by Shanedorf

LaFleur on former vike coach: “I’ve had the ability to (be in) a lot of our guys' meetings and I’ve been super impressed with Jerry Gray. Obviously, he was a hell of a player. Former first-round pick. Multiple Pro Bowls. Then when you combine his coaching experience with that, I think he’s just a tremendous resource for our defensive staff.

He’s been in a lot of different systems, he's been a coordinator so he sees it through that coordinator’s eye and understands how all 11 work together. He does such a good job of connecting with our players in a short period of time that they’ve had a chance to sit down and talk. I’m really excited about just what he brings not only to that room but our entire football team.”

Packers open at minny and there won't be any post-game handshakes

16 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I could forgive that because there was no ill intent.  Much better than, say, throwing rocks at harmless chipmunks because they were on your backpack.  Although you should probably have not been chasing them.  Then again, you were six.  Tricky one.  I’m not sure how I feel about you anymore, Dave.

AM I SURROUNDED BY ****ING CHIPMUNK MURDERERS?

I used to love chipmunks when I was a kid and thought they were great musicians.   Now when I have to listen to the Chipmunks Christmas album every year I want to murder every last one of them and their families too.  Dale's a prick

Edited by Kampfgeist

1 hour ago, Kampfgeist said:

I used to love chipmunks when I was a kid and thought they were great musicians.   Now when I have to listen to the Chipmunks Christmas album every year I want to murder every last one of them and their families too.  Dale's a prick

You mean Dave?

I never really liked the Chipmunks, but the guy got rich by playing records at the wrong speed.  If people will buy it, good for him.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

...The numbers for Sullivan over a limited sample size in 2019 (350 snaps, 31 targets faced) were terrific. He broke up six passes, produced his first career interception and allowed a completion percentage of 35.5 and a passer rating of 34.3 on throws into his coverage.

Hadn't realized his stats were that good.  Sullivan is still only 23, and he was an academic all-american in college, so may perhaps be a smart guy.  So hopefully he's legit, and perhaps still has some upside left? 

The risk with small-sample guys is that they get exposed later.  (Heh heh, as discussed in the DL thread, Lancaster and Adams supposedly had some good stats down the stretch in 2018, so posters were optimistic they were ready to emerge as anti-awful NFL rotation guys.  But then some of their limits were exposed last year...  Hopefully that won't be Sullivan's deal.) . 

I like the academic all-American bit.  Sometimes I think fast and seemingly athletic undrafted secondary guys from smaller conferences come in with good speed and athleticism numbers, and I get enthused; but most of them never actually pan out.  I think sometimes that's because while their 40 and 3-cones are good, that sometimes their mental-processors in real games aren't fast enough.  Hopefully Sullivan's is.   

The UDFA safety Black from Baylor got a $25K guarantee in addition to his $7K signing bonus.  

One of three guys to get the $32K combo ($7 + $25).  The others were DE from Rutgers; LBer from Utah State.

Two other guys got guarantees to go with their $7K signing bonuses, Bruffy the OT ($20K) and Scott the SMU edge ($15K).  

3 hours ago, craig said:

The UDFA safety Black from Baylor got a $25K guarantee in addition to his $7K signing bonus.  

One of three guys to get the $32K combo ($7 + $25).  The others were DE from Rutgers; LBer from Utah State.

Two other guys got guarantees to go with their $7K signing bonuses, Bruffy the OT ($20K) and Scott the SMU edge ($15K).  

I'm hoping he pans out given that hit he laid on Hurts this past season. 

20 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

You mean Dave?

I never really liked the Chipmunks, but the guy got rich by playing records at the wrong speed.  If people will buy it, good for him.

I think we had some confusion between Warner Bros’ Chip and Dale and The Chipmunks.

Leaving the Chippendales out of the discussion entirely.

Geez, Rick, I hope this is the dimensional timeline where Chandon Sullivan becomes an awesome cornerback for the Packers in 2020. 

Edited by Uffdaswede
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Uffdaswede said:

I hope this is the dimensional timeline where Chandon Sullivan becomes an awesome cornerback for the Packers in 2020. 

I think he'll step up this year barring injury.

On 5/27/2020 at 4:53 PM, AlexGreen#20 said:

Alternative, watch Kings interceptions against the Vikings and then tell me he's not THAT DUDE. 

That interception in the redzone where he ran the entire width of the field with Diggs and then boxed him out fully outstretched in the corner of the endzone, and then where he ran that C3 Cut to perfection, and played it perfectly to the hash to get that pick. Those were the two best defensive plays of the year.

LVSX151.gif

y8czQbG.gif

As much as people like to slurp Jaire and ride King, the alternative version of this play is:

T90IWyr.gif

and I totally get that this is a matter of opposite hashes and the like, one of them showed the ball skills and took this away, the other didn't.

King has some nutty levels of talent.  Man can find the ball in the air with the best of them, and knows how to go get it.  On top of that though, feel like he's a very intelligent player who's only going to get better the more reps he gets.  Giving him the long term contract scares me with his injury history, but really think his best is still ahead of him and that's a man who's ceiling is somewhere in the upper stratosphere.

On 5/27/2020 at 11:42 PM, Shanedorf said:

Darnell Savagewho plays the other safety position for the Packers – is one of those young players. Many have predicted the former Maryland star to break out in 2020. During his rookie season, Savage tallied 55 total tackles and two interceptions and was named to the All-Rookie Team.

Amos believes his teammate will improve on an impressive first year in the NFL.

“He is a very smart football player. He picked up on everything really fast,” Amos said. “Coming into year two, we have the same secondary so he knows where I am gonna be, who the corners are, and things like that. I feel like he can make a big jump in that way.”

usatsi_13200439-e1568929752955.jpg?w=100

Man.  There's really not much better (football related) than hearing that your highly drafted safety, who is about 200 pounds and runs a 4.36 40, is also an intelligent player.

Gives me goosebumps.

• Like 2