2020 Packers Defensive Backs

Shanedorf

1 hour ago, Beast said:

Yeah, it's a bit early but what FA or top 2 round CB will the Packers pick up in 2021?

As I'm not expecting they're going to stick with the current crew, as I'm thinking it needs improvement, unless a couple of guys seriously surprise and step up a lot.

I'm using Spotrac for information:

The Packers are currently 26th in the league as far as CB spending goes.  They have $10.5 million spent for 2020, the league average is $18.9.  I will guess that Kevin King is your 2021 FA signing.  The only way I see him leaving is if he stinks on ice, is injured really bad, or is great and commands absolute top money.  If we take away King's 1.4 million, then make up the difference of the league average spending that puts a new deal for him at 9.8 million, which would make him the 15th highest paid CB in the league.  For current level Kevin King, that is IMO what we are looking at money wise anyway.

2021 is going to be tough for the Packers cap, IMO.  They are backing up the Brinks truck for Rodgers, Smith, Smith, and Adams.  They have two must signs, IMO, in Bakhtiari and Clark.  And an estimated 30 million to do that.  King might be the odd man out, but if he is, he is probably replaced on the cheap.  

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I'm using Spotrac for information:

The Packers are currently 26th in the league as far as CB spending goes.  They have $10.5 million spent for 2020, the league average is $18.9.  I will guess that Kevin King is your 2021 FA signing.  The only way I see him leaving is if he stinks on ice, is injured really bad, or is great and commands absolute top money.  If we take away King's 1.4 million, then make up the difference of the league average spending that puts a new deal for him at 9.8 million, which would make him the 15th highest paid CB in the league.  For current level Kevin King, that is IMO what we are looking at money wise anyway.

2021 is going to be tough for the Packers cap, IMO.  They are backing up the Brinks truck for Rodgers, Smith, Smith, and Adams.  They have two must signs, IMO, in Bakhtiari and Clark.  And an estimated 30 million to do that.  King might be the odd man out, but if he is, he is probably replaced on the cheap.  

I certainly agree with you, in that 2021 is a tough cap spot, with Bakhtiari and Clark needing to be resigned AND as for CB money goes, we need to save room for Alexander to be resigned.

That we simply don't have that much free money to risk, and King hasn't exactly been able to stay healthy, with his shoulder injury that he hurt as a freshman in college still bothering him, and probably will only get worse with time, and might not want to play through pain as much when he gets paid. (That's nothing against him, personally, just normal human nature, in average the more you can walk away from pain, the more you actually do).

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

King's good, I really hope GB keeps him around.

King is inconsistent as hell... top 10 in passes knocked down, INTs and top 10 in TDs given up and I believe #1 in yardage given up.

Might I add, that's when the pass rush is dominating and facing a number of struggling QBs that either don't deal with pressure well, or they're fairly young.

I fear the Packers DBs (mainly CBs) are going to be lit up this year, as we're facing much better offenses (especially QBs) than last year. You know, assuming they're healthy, like Patrick Mahomes and Matt Stafford weren't (once), when we faced their teams last year.

King can be great, but consistency he's all over the freaking map....

And even if we do resign King, I still say we need to upgrade the CBs, which is why I'm expecting them to draft a CB in the top 3 round next year (and thinking it's gonna be in the top 2 rounds).

2 hours ago, Beast said:

I certainly agree with you, in that 2021 is a tough cap spot, with Bakhtiari and Clark needing to be resigned AND as for CB money goes, we need to save room for Alexander to be resigned.

That we simply don't have that much free money to risk, and King hasn't exactly been able to stay healthy, with his shoulder injury that he hurt as a freshman in college still bothering him, and probably will only get worse with time, and might not want to play through pain as much when he gets paid. (That's nothing against him, personally, just normal human nature, in average the more you can walk away from pain, the more you actually do).

King is inconsistent as hell... top 10 in passes knocked down, INTs and top 10 in TDs given up and I believe #1 in yardage given up.

Might I add, that's when the pass rush is dominating and facing a number of struggling QBs that either don't deal with pressure well, or they're fairly young.

I fear the Packers DBs (mainly CBs) are going to be lit up this year, as we're facing much better offenses (especially QBs) than last year. You know, assuming they're healthy, like Patrick Mahomes and Matt Stafford weren't (once), when we faced their teams last year.

King can be great, but consistency he's all over the freaking map....

And even if we do resign King, I still say we need to upgrade the CBs, which is why I'm expecting them to draft a CB in the top 3 round next year (and thinking it's gonna be in the top 2 rounds).

King's getting unfairly killed on some of these stats. The long Diggs TD and the long Kittle TD were both at least partially Amos and Alexander. That's 100+ yards and 2 TDs that shouldn't be his exclusively.

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

King's getting unfairly killed on some of these stats. The long Diggs TD and the long Kittle TD were both at least partially Amos and Alexander. That's 100+ yards and 2 TDs that shouldn't be his exclusively.

That's probably true, but the same might be said about everyone else in the top 5...

And still, he's number 1, so take some yardage off and he's still probably giving up top 5 or at least top 10 yardage.

Also he's being helped by one of the best pass rushers in the NFL and some pretty ****ty QB play that he luckily got to go against...

So there are some bad luck, but there was also good luck, the bottom line is he was one of the more inconsistent CBs in the NFL as he as his absolutely great moments, and absolutely horrible moments.

Yards given up is a pretty volatile stat year to year. Knock downs/passes defensed are pretty consistent. For a third year player King had a solid season. I’d rather extend him before the season because it looks like his trajectory is going up.

Edited by deathstar
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, deathstar said:

Yards given up is a pretty volatile stat year to year. Knock downs/passes defensed are pretty consistent. For a third year player King had a solid season. I’d rather extend him before the season because it looks like his trajectory is going up.

I just think he is priority #3.  To me, it is:

1. Clark

2.  Bakhtiari

3.  King

4.  everyone else that is a pending FA

11 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I just think he is priority #3.  To me, it is:

1. Clark

2.  Bakhtiari

3.  King

4.  everyone else that is a pending FA

The thing is though, Bakhtiari already got paid. An extension from him isn't going to eat up much larger of a slice of the cap than he is already getting. Clark and King are coming off rookie deals so those are the numbers that could pinch.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, spilltray said:

The thing is though, Bakhtiari already got paid. An extension from him isn't going to eat up much larger of a slice of the cap than he is already getting. Clark and King are coming off rookie deals so those are the numbers that could pinch.

GB has about $178M in salary committed for the 2021 season.  It is a big unknown how much the 2021 cap will go up....if at all.   That leaves about between 30-40M.  Even of Bahktiari has been paid in his previous contract, you are likely not re-signing him for less than a $12-15M per year average.

I am beginning to wonder if GB is holding off on a Clark extension to see how the 2020 season goes from a revenue perspective.

King has a ton of upside talent, I just don't trust him in terms of consistency and shoulder injuries.

And even with King, I feel like the CBs need to be upgraded unless some others step up.

Also, I'm still trying to figure out why the Packers got away from man coverage, into more zone coverage last year. 

55 minutes ago, Beast said:

King has a ton of upside talent, I just don't trust him in terms of consistency and shoulder injuries.

And even with King, I feel like the CBs need to be upgraded unless some others step up.

Also, I'm still trying to figure out why the Packers got away from man coverage, into more zone coverage last year. 

No expert here....

But I feel that is a "Pettine thing".  I feel like zone is the way you play when you have a lead and a good pass rush.  It should, key word 'should" eliminate big plays.  Make the other team use a lot of time to get down the field.

Clearly it didn't always go down that way.

I've thought that King has the making to be one of the best man corner in the league.  But, his shoulder needs to be strong to get a good jam.  And I don't feel like it is.  So, he plays off more than he should.  But dang, there aren't many guys his size with his speed and COD ability.

He's got to get a tick healthier, stay that way, and Pettine needs to figure out what he does best and just let him do it more.  Guessing Gray will help that out.

We've been rotating and drafting corners for so long, that it sure would be nice to settle in on 5+ more years of King/Alexander.  Draft guys in the 3rd round or later to keep developing behind them.

Finally, yah, King and Jones are clearly behind Clark and Bakh in terms of priority.  Guess I feel that if Jones was in the long term plays, he'd sign as soon as possible.  Cuz he's clearly not a priority against those other guys.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Finally, yah, King and Jones are clearly behind Clark and Bakh in terms of priority.  Guess I feel that if Jones was in the long term plays, he'd sign as soon as possible.  Cuz he's clearly not a priority against those other guys.

I don't even think there is a serious plan or intent to resign Jones. If Dillon shows he can play a bit this year, then it's not even really a consideration. RB just aren't worth investing the kind of money Jones will get if he has another good season. He's a good RB but unless you have a GREAT RB, they aren't worth paying top end deals IMO.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, spilltray said:

I don't even think there is a serious plan or intent to resign Jones. If Dillon shows he can play a bit this year, then it's not even really a consideration. RB just aren't worth investing the kind of money Jones will get if he has another good season. He's a good RB but unless you have a GREAT RB, they aren't worth paying top end deals IMO.

fully agree.  Drafting Dillon in the 2nd and then re-signing Jones would be a poor use of resources IMO.  Resigning Williams would be the better move as he is likely much cheaper to re-sign