Rumor: Cowboys Locked In on Adams

Texas_OutLaw7

9 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

We all know that it’s about balance; balancing expectations against compensation (salary) and compensation (trade capital). Adams’ talent isn’t in question, but is a person at his position going to make the impact which matches what’s given up? I’d argue “no”, and it’s just due to the nature of his position. DBs just don’t impact the game as much as guys in the front 7, and they rarely (if ever) make d-lines better.

3 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

They would be welcomed additions to be sure. But I do not believe a S is a "put you over the top" piece. I mean, really, how many plays is a S actually in on?

That sucks! and for what? A position that, if the opposing team is a running team or their QB is a check down type or our D line cannot generate pressure, what is he actually going to so for us?

I think both of you need to do a little more film study on Adams. He is all over the field. He can cover like a corner and hit like a LB. Do you guys remember how the Steelers used Troy Polamolu? He was deep centerfield one play, covering the slot the next, then blitzing the A gap out of no where. 

Plan says DBs don’t impact the game like front 7 guys. I typically agree with this philosophy. But I disagree Adams should be under that umbrella. Did you know that Adams had 6.5 sacks last year? That’s more than DLaw btw.

Dave doesn’t think a safety will impact the game if the team runs the ball. Did you know that the Jets were the 3rd ranked run defense in the NFL last year and Jamal Adams was leading the team in tackles, tackles for loss, QB hits, forced fumbles, and sacks after 10 games. He ended up missing time but he was the defense for most of the season.

Plus he is a Giants and Redskins killer. What he did to those teams last year was just plain rude.

Listen to Carr and Gruden talk about him:

Carr’s assessment of Adams two seasons later?

“If you don’t account for that guy,” the Raiders’ quarterback said, “he can ruin a football game.”

The Raiders’ offense, which has protected Carr well this season, made clear this week Adams will have its attention at MetLife Stadium on Sunday.

The Jets are 3-7 but have won consecutive games due in no small part to Adams harassing the past two quarterbacks they’ve faced, rookies Daniel Jones (Giants) and Dwayne Haskins (Washington).

Adams totaled five sacks in the two games and added a pass break-up and two forced fumbles against the Giants — a performance that earned him AFC defensive player of the week honors.

“He’s one of the most aggressive players that you will see,” Raiders head coach Jon Gruden said. “His playing speed is rare. He’s a linebacker playing defensive back, he’s a defensive lineman playing defensive back and he’s a defensive back deluxe. He can do it all — he can rush, he can cover. He’s really good.”

• Like 3

Only one New York Jets player made the Pro Football Focus ‘Top 101 Players From The NFL Season.’ The name shouldn’t be a surprise. 

Jamal Adams. 

The undisputed star and best player on the Jets roster, Adams emerged this year as one of the game’s truly elite defensive players. On the 7-9 Jets, he was the team’s only selection to the Pro Bowl. And, not shockingly, he was the only selection here for PFF. 

Calling him “one of the most effective defenders in the game.” PFF notes that not only did Adams line up in three different safety spots, but also as a cornerback and as a pass rusher.  

• Like 1

On the year, Adams had 61 tackles, 6.5 sacks, two forced fumbles, an interception(returned for a TD) and seven passes defended. It was a tremendous year for him and one that could well see him become the highest-paid safety in the NFL. 

“As a pass-rusher, he racked up 25 total pressures from 101 rushing snaps, by far the most pressure but only the second-most rushing snaps of any safety,” PFF said. 

Edited by DaBoys

Adams is a multi dimensional tool on defense. And now that this defense will no longer be a stagnant object but a moving, disguising, tiered unit with the old regime gone, it makes sense to bring in a safety that can line up in several places and do many different things for you.

The way Adams plays is a lot like Polamalu in those early 2000s. He can bring the heat, lay the wood, make the pick, or man up on a tight end. He can roll over to linebacker on a nickel unit, or press the slot receiver off his route. He can free up other DBs to play their coverages more freely.

That said, a first and a third is steep. However, if you expect this team to go deep into January or even February, then you find a way to get it done and restructure, extend, and massage some contracts to make it work now and into the future. And those late 1 and 3 picks will mean much less when traded for a guy who figures to be a defensive cornerstone, not a cog in a wheel, but a real cornerstone of the unit for the next half decade and longer even.

• Like 3

Idk about a 1st AND a 3rd. I’d be trying to negotiate the hell out of that. 

Adams is great. Elite even. 

There is good reason to believe Adams is a better player than anyone we could find in round 1 next year. Even if we pick top 5. I mean Lamb was our forums #6 non QB player in the draft, and he will have his work cut out for him to ever reach the level Adams is on now.

3 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Idk about a 1st AND a 3rd. I’d be trying to negotiate the hell out of that. 

Even if you still end up having the following?

2nd
3rd
4th
4th
5th
6th
7th

3 minutes ago, D82 said:

Even if you still end up having the following?

2nd
3rd
4th
4th
5th
6th
7th

If we get that 3rd round comp pick for Byron I’d be much more willing. But we wouldn’t know until well after the trade

Edited by DaBoys

5 minutes ago, D82 said:

I wish we could trade our comp 3rd instead of our actual 3rd. I know comp picks can be traded but not until they are officially awarded.

Still, I think knowing we have that comp in our back pocket makes the 1st and 3rd doable 

5 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

I wish we could trade our comp 3rd instead of our actual 3rd. I know comp picks can be traded but not until they are officially awarded.

Still, I think knowing we have that comp in our back pocket makes the 1st and 3rd doable 

I mean, yeah, that would be preferred. But you make do with what you've got at the moment. 

Well, I heard all of this ish when we traded up to take Claiborne. I heard all of this ish when we drafted Roy Williams, and then in 1 game against Wash, they exposed him twice with bombs for TDs.

I heard all of this hero worship ish with every DB we ever drafted high:

Byron Jones, Mike (forget his last last name-Felix Jones year) etc. Jenkins

But I'm telling you, it looks great now because things are quite and it's something on paper that looks solid.

But again come 2021 draft, everyone will be crying, Mark my words.

Edited by Rtnldave

7 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

Well, I heard all of this ish when we traded up to take Claiborne. I heard all of this ish when we drafted Roy Williams, and then in 1 game against Wash, they exposed him twice with bombs for TDs.

I heard all of this hero worship ish with every DB we ever drafted high:

Byron Jones, Mike (forget his last last name-Felix Jones year) etc.

But I'm telling you, it looks great now because things are quite and it's something on paper that looks solid.

But again come 2021 draft, everyone will be crying, Mark my words.

There is such a large difference between essentially everyone you mentioned and Jamal Adams. 

Roy Williams was a victim of a change in the way the game was played. He had a few good years early on and was worth the pick before the league changed to match the way offenses were changing. Byron Jones was definitely a good player, but he was limited to one position. 

The other guys you mentioned were guys we took a risk on and never really panned out. Adams has PROVEN to be an All-Pro safety in the league and, as has been stated before, proven capable at playing other positions as well. There's no comparison man. 

The good teams in this league take calculated risks. Trading a 1st and a 3rd for a 25 year old All-Pro safety who's proven to be both a leader and a guy opposing teams have to game plan for? Hell yeah, that's a decision you make and don't even look back on. 

• Like 1