Rumor: Cowboys Locked In on Adams

Texas_OutLaw7

1 minute ago, Dallas94Ware said:

The jets do want to give him a contract. But they hold the leverage. He still has a 5th year option and is on a rookie deal. He is trying to force the issue and is malcontent withnthat team for exploring trade options during the season, mainly with this team. 

Much like with Zeke last offseason, the team has the leverage because if the player sits out on an rookie deal, the year does not come off of his contract. Dallas paid Zeke anyway because he figured to be the engine of the offense, as the team was built around the ground game and not having him over a contract dispute didnt seem like a good idea. With Adams, let's face it, you arent designing your team around a safety no matter how gamebreaking he may be. 

But the Jets have never said they dont want to pay him. They simply dont feel they should have to, as he is still under contract.

We had all the leverage and we folded.

Thought I'd chime in for you guys on what the situation seems to be.....

Adams is pretty much asking for a contract just way too early. He is about to be on his 4th year of his rookie deal and the Jets have already picked up his 5th year option. So he's under contract for 2 more seasons. That's all without talking about franchise tags and all beyond that.

Safety isn't like RB where the shelf life for the player in only a handful of prime years. Players at safety generally are still getting great contracts in their 30s still. Add on the state of the US economy and all and the cap possibly lowering next year. Why pay a player when you have him for 2 more seasons? He has a contract to honor. There's barely any 1st rounders from his draft class that have gotten new deals. So it's not like he's left behind.

The Jets won't trade him. And quite frankly I think Adams loves football too much to sit out. And as I stated... he isn't going to sit out multiple years to try and prove his point. He will end up showing up and playing and honoring his contract. Next offseason is where he would have some legs to stand on on a contract negotiation. Bc the jump in cap from his 5th year option to what his contract might be is a lot smaller than it is now.

Our GM is not a pushover. And it wont change for this. It seems more that its Adams' agent pushing for this than anyone. And that agent is the same as DAKs (for what that's worth).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Thought I'd chime in for you guys on what the situation seems to be.....

Adams is pretty much asking for a contract just way too early. He is about to be on his 4th year of his rookie deal and the Jets have already picked up his 5th year option. So he's under contract for 2 more seasons. That's all without talking about franchise tags and all beyond that.

Safety isn't like RB where the shelf life for the player in only a handful of prime years. Players at safety generally are still getting great contracts in their 30s still. Add on the state of the US economy and all and the cap possibly lowering next year. Why pay a player when you have him for 2 more seasons? He has a contract to honor. There's barely any 1st rounders from his draft class that have gotten new deals. So it's not like he's left behind.

The Jets won't trade him. And quite frankly I think Adams loves football too much to sit out. And as I stated... he isn't going to sit out multiple years to try and prove his point. He will end up showing up and playing and honoring his contract. Next offseason is where he would have some legs to stand on on a contract negotiation. Bc the jump in cap from his 5th year option to what his contract might be is a lot smaller than it is now.

Our GM is not a pushover. And it wont change for this. It seems more that its Adams' agent pushing for this than anyone. And that agent is the same as DAKs (for what that's worth).

While I would love to have Adams on the Cowboys,   it's a bad precedent to keep extending non-qb's on rookie contracts.   I'm fine with negotiating starting the offseason before the last year of a contract. Not before then.  

On 5/26/2020 at 8:29 AM, SweetFancyMoses said:

While I would love to have Adams on the Cowboys,   it's a bad precedent to keep extending non-qb's on rookie contracts.   I'm fine with negotiating starting the offseason before the last year of a contract. Not before then.  

Good thing the new CBA has made it basically impossible for a player to try to holdout while having a contract. That stunt by Zeke won't happen again. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Tony7188 said:

Good thing the new CBA has made it basically impossible for a player to try to holdout while having a contract. That stunt by Zeke won't happen again. 

Only applies to vets:

A "player playing under a contract signed as a veteran who fails to report to his club's preseason training camp on time or reports and leaves the club for more than five days" cannot have his fines waived by the team upon return and will not earn an accrued season for that season. Harsh, but note that it specifies "a contract signed as a veteran." So it seems as if the new anti-holdout rules won't apply to players holding out for more at the end of their rookie contracts, as Ezekiel Elliott did last year, for example.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28901832/nfl-cba-approved-players-get-new-deal-how-expanded-playoffs-schedule-work