Rumor: Cowboys Locked In on Adams

Texas_OutLaw7

4 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

I'm 100% on board with trading a 1st and 3rd for Adams. That's it. That's the trade. Take it or leave it. NYJ already could have had a potential star WR in CeeDee Lamb had they not gotten in their own way last year. 

This 

3 hours ago, Northland said:

I agree that if Adams is the piece that puts us over the top start talking with the Jets.  He's a dynamic force.  He has to be accounted for on every play by opposing defenses.  Too bad he isn't a DE.  To play devil's advocate think about the contract he will want and what current players on the roster will end up being cut, released, or traded because you can't accommodate/resign everyone.  That's a discussion we have to have.  Then I think about our long drought in terms of playoff success.  I want a championship.  Get er done.

There isn’t a Safety in NFL history who is (or was) the final piece to a puzzle to win a championship based on our situation. We don’t have a proven pass rush. We don’t have a proven interior d-line, and we don’t have a coaching staff which has proven it can win with this unit. DBs are overrated luxuries; ones which should be considered only after the front 7 is established. 

Seriously, how p!ssed would you guys be if we dump a 1st round pick plus additional compensation for Adams, have a terrible season because of a porous d-line, and miss put on a premier DE in 2021 because you were so desperate for a Safety? Personally, I’d be furious.

Oh, and you made him the highest paid Safety in the history of the league.

5 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

And will want $15-16M per year with his extension. Too expensive. If Aldon Smith is anything salvageable, he'll need an extension as well. Where is that money going to come from? There's a strong possibility that the cap will go down next year, so high contracts should be avoided.

I'd love to have Adam's on our team, but not for a 1st.  I'm ok with a 2nd and a player in their last year, i.e. Chido or Woods.  Is the cap based on a calculation? Can they agree to keep it the same and not decrease it?

16 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

There isn’t a Safety in NFL history who is (or was) the final piece to a puzzle to win a championship based on our situation. We don’t have a proven pass rush. We don’t have a proven interior d-line, and we don’t have a coaching staff which has proven it can win with this unit. DBs are overrated luxuries; ones which should be considered only after the front 7 is established. 

Seriously, how p!ssed would you guys be if we dump a 1st round pick plus additional compensation for Adams, have a terrible season because of a porous d-line, and miss put on a premier DE in 2021 because you were so desperate for a Safety? Personally, I’d be furious.

Optimism only goes so far, but I think our DL is in reasonably good shape. Need someone to step forward opposite DLaw, but I like the options available. I believe our iDL is in far better shape than it has been in the last 8 years or so. I'd also say McCoy and Poe are certainly proven players. I know you despise spending anything of significance on DBs, but I fail to see how anyone could or would be disappointed in adding a player the caliber of Adams. He most definitely is a difference maker, and by far the best S we've had since Woodson or Williams, prior to him discovering a Twinkies fetish. Those guys absolutely made a difference for this team's defense.

As for the compensation, yeah I'd be upset if Dallas fails to move forward for the reasons you stated. Likewise, I'll be just as upset at a missed opportunity and another season in which our safeties get abused and/or create nothing in terms of turnovers. Something Adams flourishes at on top of being a tone setter.   

And having to pay him, is irrelevant to me. There are ways to manipulate the cap and I'm sick of winning the salary cap game. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WizardHawk said:

Optimism only goes so far, but I think our DL is in reasonably good shape. Need someone to step forward opposite DLaw, but I like the options available. I believe our iDL is in far better shape than it has been in the last 8 years or so. I'd also say McCoy and Poe are certainly proven players. I know you despise spending anything of significance on DBs, but I fail to see how anyone could or would be disappointed in adding a player the caliber of Adams. He most definitely is a difference maker, and by far the best S we've had since Woodson or Williams, prior to him discovering a Twinkies fetish. Those guys absolutely made a difference for this team's defense.

As for the compensation, yeah I'd be upset if Dallas fails to move forward for the reasons you stated. Likewise, I'll be just as upset at a missed opportunity and another season in which our safeties get abused and/or create nothing in terms of turnovers. Something Adams flourishes at on top of being a tone setter.   

And having to pay him, is irrelevant to me. There are ways to manipulate the cap and I'm sick of winning the salary cap game. 

We all know that it’s about balance; balancing expectations against compensation (salary) and compensation (trade capital). Adams’ talent isn’t in question, but is a person at his position going to make the impact which matches what’s given up? I’d argue “no”, and it’s just due to the nature of his position. DBs just don’t impact the game as much as guys in the front 7, and they rarely (if ever) make d-lines better.

He would be a awesome addition.   I hesitate giving a 1st 3rd but wouldn’t hate it.  If we do this then it almost guarantees not resigning Lewis and Awuzi. Which might cripple the CB aspect of our D if Robinson does not pan out.   The other problem is yes it hurts down the road as we loose another cheap rookie on our team. 

11 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

This x2. I believe this team has had a monster off season. Picked up 2 gap fillers on the D line to help protect or LBs and give them more of a chance to make plays, A. Smith being reinstated is promising, Clinton Dix, Worley and a host of DB's either thru FA or the draft gives us a multitude of options in the secondary.

But it all starts up front. I've said it many times. If you cannot collapse the pocket and get consistent pressure on the QB, your DBs are not going to hold up.

Not to mention, we have NO idea what this coaching staff is capable of. Perhaps they generate a monster defense with what we have in house, who knows?

The question is, like in poker, are you willing to pay the looking price?

A 1st AND a 3rd? That's pretty damn high. I fold.

36 minutes ago, D82 said:

Say we bring in one of Clowney or Griffen on a 1-yr deal...does that sway your opinion on trading for Adams? 

They would be welcomed additions to be sure. But I do not believe a S is a "put you over the top" piece. I mean, really, how many plays is a S actually in on? So, a 1st and 3rd??? It may look good to satisfy a sweet tooth for a stacked roster, but come April next year when we are on the clock and another CeeDee Lamb type prospect possibly falls our way, what do you do then? 

So our draft card will look like:

2nd round pick 50 plus or higher.

4th round pick 110 or higher?

That sucks! and for what? A position that, if the opposing team is a running team or their QB is a check down type or our D line cannot generate pressure, what is he actually going to do for us?

No, I still do not think an addition of Clowney or Griffen would sway me to throw away a 1st and 3rd at the S position, no matter who it is.

Edited by Rtnldave

15 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

They would be welcomed additions to be sure. But I do not believe a S is a "put you over the top" piece. I mean, really, how many plays is a S actually in on? So, a 1st and 3rd??? It may look good to satisfy a sweet tooth for a stacked roster, but come April next year when we are on the clock and another CeeDee Lamb type prospect possibly falls our way, what do you do then? 

So our draft card will look like:

2nd round pick 50 plus or higher.

4th round pick 110 or higher?

That sucks! and for what? A position that, if the opposing team is a running team or their QB is a check down type or our D line cannot generate pressure, what is he actually going to do for us?

No, I still do not think an addition of Clowney or Griffen would sway me to throw away a 1st and 3rd at the S position, no matter who it is.

1. Adams isn't just a safety. He plays multiple positions on the defense. You can use him in so many different ways. Not to mention, he'd likely be a leader in the locker room. Most would agree that Haley was the catalyst in our Super Bowl wins in the 90s...but you know what else we had back then as well? A dynamic, HOF safety in Darren Woodson as well. 

2. Yes, losing a 1st would hurt. But we'd still have a 2nd, a 3rd (thanks to letting Jones walk), and a 4th. We also are projected to get an additional 4th thanks to Quinn and another 5th thanks to Cobb. So...we'd have some capital to work with if we wanted to get back into the 1st if we wanted to. 

I know some will bring up the cap issues. I posted an article that outlines a way to make it all work. Some have pointed out we may have a cap next year that doesn't go up or decreases...the NFL can borrow from future years to boost the cap next season if it needs to, they did it before in 2011 when the current CBA hadn't been agreed on yet. 

So...you have the ability to add a 25 year old All-Pro safety, who can line up in multiple spots (FS/SS/Nickel/Edge) in a defense that is built upon throwing out multiple looks. He isn't an aging Earl Thomas, he's Thomas in his prime. You have the chance to get that...why not take it? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, D82 said:

1. Adams isn't just a safety. He plays multiple positions on the defense. You can use him in so many different ways. Not to mention, he'd likely be a leader in the locker room. Most would agree that Haley was the catalyst in our Super Bowl wins in the 90s...but you know what else we had back then as well? A dynamic, HOF safety in Darren Woodson as well. 

2. Yes, losing a 1st would hurt. But we'd still have a 2nd, a 3rd (thanks to letting Jones walk), and a 4th. We also are projected to get an additional 4th thanks to Quinn and another 5th thanks to Cobb. So...we'd have some capital to work with if we wanted to get back into the 1st if we wanted to. 

I know some will bring up the cap issues. I posted an article that outlines a way to make it all work. Some have pointed out we may have a cap next year that doesn't go up or decreases...the NFL can borrow from future years to boost the cap next season if it needs to, they did it before in 2011 when the current CBA hadn't been agreed on yet. 

So...you have the ability to add a 25 year old All-Pro safety, who can line up in multiple spots (FS/SS/Nickel/Edge) in a defense that is built upon throwing out multiple looks. He isn't an aging Earl Thomas, he's Thomas in his prime. You have the chance to get that...why not take it? 

Boom. All of this.

What does Adams do? Everything. 

Having a versatile safety is incredibly valuable for NFL defensive schemes and game planning. A blitzing safety with no coverage skills could only be used in and around the line of scrimmage, and his presence there would immediately tip-off the opponent that a blitz, not coverage, is the safety's only option. As a do-it-all safety in the Jets' defense, Jamal Adams has proven to be an asset, and he's no liability when matched up in pass coverage, either. This season, he's allowed a passer rating of just 80.7 on throws into his primary coverage, which is way below the league-wide average for safeties (93.6). Adams’ pass coverage skills make him a complete, every-down safety in a league where teams will be using three such players more often than not.

His knack for pass-rushing combined with his talent to defend both the run and the pass has made him the only defensive back in the NFL who has played at least 200 snaps yet earned a top-10 PFF grade in coverage (86.1, seventh among safeties), against the run (81.6, seventh), as a tackler (89.7, second) and as a pass-rusher (90.4, tied for first).

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-examining-the-nfls-best-safeties

• Like 1