Rumor: Cowboys Locked In on Adams

Texas_OutLaw7

36 minutes ago, D82 said:

There is such a large difference between essentially everyone you mentioned and Jamal Adams. 

Roy Williams was a victim of a change in the way the game was played. He had a few good years early on and was worth the pick before the league changed to match the way offenses were changing. Byron Jones was definitely a good player, but he was limited to one position. 

The other guys you mentioned were guys we took a risk on and never really panned out. Adams has PROVEN to be an All-Pro safety in the league and, as has been stated before, proven capable at playing other positions as well. There's no comparison man. 

The good teams in this league take calculated risks. Trading a 1st and a 3rd for a 25 year old All-Pro safety who's proven to be both a leader and a guy opposing teams have to game plan for? Hell yeah, that's a decision you make and don't even look back on. 

Okay, I'm an open minded person. I stated my case, you debated well. Do it.

But understand, this is our top drat pick for next year. 

Nobody better be crying no guff in April if this guy turns out to have some undisclosed condition, all of a sudden losses a step, becomes injury prone right away, or offenses just "figure him out" and he becomes a liability.

I've seen it happen.

But, if you are that admit about it, okay, pull the trigger.

Edited by Rtnldave

1 minute ago, Rtnldave said:

Okay, I'm an open minded person. I stated my case, you debated well. Do it.

But understand, this is our top drat pick for next year. 

Nobody better be crying no guff in April if this guy turns out to have some undisclosed condition, all of a sudden losses a step, becomes injury prone right away, or defenses just "figure him out" and he becomes a liability.

I've seen it happen.

But, if you are that admit about it, okay, pull the trigger.

Or we flop do to an injury and have a top 10 pick.

We need to draft extremely well if we are about to pay Dak. Giving up our 1st for someone, although is proven, we have to pay right away might be challenging.

I'd be trying to go with a 2nd, 3rd and give them a choice of Woods, Awuzie, Lewis, or Connor William's.

4 hours ago, resilient part 2 said:

I don't want to give up a first, but wouldn't be upset if we did. But I would much rather a second and 5th in 2021 , and maybe an additional third based on performances and resigning and stuff like that in 2022

That’s a trade I can live with. What we don’t want to do is become so dialed in on the idea of trading for him that we end of negotiating with ourselves and convince ourselves that the least important position on defense is miraculously a defense saving position solely because we’ve ignored it for so long. I understand that he makes plays. I understand that he’s a high impact player. I understand that he’s a perennial All Pro. I understand that everyone loves the guy. I love him, too, but he doesn’t play a position which will ever put a defense over the top regardless of how much he contributes on the field. No one will ever say that the Ravens’ defense was all world solely because of Ed Reed. They’ll say that he was a significant piece to an already well established defense, but he wasn’t the guy who made that defense when you had the likes of Terrell Suggs and Haloti Ngata on that d-line. And this is coming from a man who believes that Ed Reed is the greatest Free Safety in NFL history. 

• Like 2

On 5/23/2020 at 10:43 AM, DaBoys said:

Idk about a 1st AND a 3rd. I’d be trying to negotiate the hell out of that. 

Adams is great. Elite even. 

There is good reason to believe Adams is a better player than anyone we could find in round 1 next year. Even if we pick top 5. I mean Lamb was our forums #6 non QB player in the draft, and he will have his work cut out for him to ever reach the level Adams is on now.

My issue with giving up a first is that this team has drafted pretty well in the first round over the last decade, and only so-so in the rounds beyond. We would be giving up our only usual hit in the draft. 

For a guy who is elite, a surefire hit for that pick, and a guy who rounds out a positional unit that this team has saught a star at since 2004 when Woodys back ended his reign and Roy William's was exposed as an undersized linebacker playing safety. 

Yeah, a first rounder for Adam's is fine by me. Hell, I'd try to negotiate out of that 3rd more than the first cause that first is not budging from the table on NYs end and I accept that for an elite young star. I'd offer the first with a smile and try to give a 5th instead of that 3rd, even two 5ths with one from the following draft. BUT ya know what, if they said first rounder and a SECOND and those two fifths?I would do that too. Adam's is that good, the position is that weak for this team, and the value of that position is increasing more and more every year in today's NFL.

I could see why in 2005 to 2017 even 2018 we didnt shoot for the stars to fill the spot with a stud. But the nfl has changed so much on defense because of the way offenses are run, because of the emphasis on letting receivers try to make a play or be flagged, that I would value safety much higher now than ever before. 

Note the changes to the Mike backer lately. It's become all about a safety style of cover guy who can chase down the run instead of a hard hitting run stuffer who can drop back sometimes. Why? Safeties have become interchangeable, no longer a strong and a free, but both playing the same role on either side of the field. Why? 

Gotta change with the times. Safety is more valuable now. First and a third? No problem. To do it today I'll even do a first and a second and throw in a fifth. Let's just get it done. Guys elite, the position is increasingly important, and this team has not had a damn good player back there since 2003. It's just time.

2 hours ago, textaz03 said:

Can we afford another big contract without signing Dak to long term? Adams is another player who’s gonna want top dollar for his position. How many markets are we willing to set? 

If Dallas trades for him they still would have control for 2 more seasons. They can let things play out a little. Should have a better grasp of where the salary cap is going too. Either way, I'm pretty much of the opinion screw the salary cap. We're going to be moving on from some guys regardless and team can work around numbers anyway. 

Go all in and see what happens. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

If Dallas trades for him they still would have control for 2 more seasons. They can let things play out a little. Should have a better grasp of where the salary cap is going too. Either way, I'm pretty much of the opinion screw the salary cap. We're going to be moving on from some guys regardless and team can work around numbers anyway. 

Go all in and see what happens. 

Adams already is not willing to play this year without a contract. Not knowing what the cap will look like next year is the problem. Will it increase at all? Will it decrease? I wouldn't do a trade for Adams and not sign Dak. Even if you move on from players the only player that will grant us no dead money is Tyron Smith. Is this team prepared to move on from him with no first round pick to replace him? All other players will cause big dead money and I don't think it would be smart to restructure deals of Zeke and Lawrence. So I cant say screw the Salary Cap

40 minutes ago, eagles suck said:

Adams already is not willing to play this year without a contract. Not knowing what the cap will look like next year is the problem. Will it increase at all? Will it decrease? I wouldn't do a trade for Adams and not sign Dak. Even if you move on from players the only player that will grant us no dead money is Tyron Smith. Is this team prepared to move on from him with no first round pick to replace him? All other players will cause big dead money and I don't think it would be smart to restructure deals of Zeke and Lawrence. So I cant say screw the Salary Cap

I believe these are all things Dallas has accounted for or they wouldn't have offered the trade last year.

I'd also be willing to bet Adams would play out this year for Dallas with no new deal.
Cutting Tyrone Crawford saves team $8m.
Despite the current stalemate, Dak's going to get signed.

Even if you were to sign Adams to a new deal, you drop the 5th year option and give him an extension in which he plays this season on his current salary. Bottom line is if Dallas wants to do this they can get it done. They have a number of options. 

All that said, it's still a long shot to ever come to fruition. 

57 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

I believe these are all things Dallas has accounted for or they wouldn't have offered the trade last year.

I'd also be willing to bet Adams would play out this year for Dallas with no new deal.
Cutting Tyrone Crawford saves team $8m.
Despite the current stalemate, Dak's going to get signed.

Even if you were to sign Adams to a new deal, you drop the 5th year option and give him an extension in which he plays this season on his current salary. Bottom line is if Dallas wants to do this they can get it done. They have a number of options. 

All that said, it's still a long shot to ever come to fruition. 

One thing to note that most people aren't talking about is that if the Cowboys truly believe Adams might make the difference on defense that Cooper had on offense then that 1st and a 3rd would be worth more so closer to a 2nd and a 4th then it would be a high value pick where they are at. 

But that's if they truly believe he is it. Considering as you said they've already tried to do it for just a 1st. I believe they already believe he is a difference maker. 

7 minutes ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

Why would we pay a 1st and a 3rd for a player the Jets don't want to give a long term contract, and a player that doesnt want to sign with the Jets? 2nd and a 4th or 2nd and Woods.  If someone else pays the premium price, the congrats to them.

The jets do want to give him a contract. But they hold the leverage. He still has a 5th year option and is on a rookie deal. He is trying to force the issue and is malcontent withnthat team for exploring trade options during the season, mainly with this team. 

Much like with Zeke last offseason, the team has the leverage because if the player sits out on an rookie deal, the year does not come off of his contract. Dallas paid Zeke anyway because he figured to be the engine of the offense, as the team was built around the ground game and not having him over a contract dispute didnt seem like a good idea. With Adams, let's face it, you arent designing your team around a safety no matter how gamebreaking he may be. 

But the Jets have never said they dont want to pay him. They simply dont feel they should have to, as he is still under contract.