Jets sign QB Joe Flacco (One year, $1.5 M)

RaidersAreOne

10 hours ago, SaveOurSonics said:

The point of my post was just to further emphasize the value the Saints got on their deal with Winston. 

Saints got a great deal and Jameis got a year to work behind legends like Brees and Payton. Win/Win. In NY he may of been too good to be a backup if that makes sense. 

18 hours ago, SDotNova said:

As bad as the Jets have been the last two years, our backup situation hasn’t helped. We are 0-6 when Darnold doesn’t play. And 11-15 with him starting. Not great but still a major drop off. Hopefully Flacco doesn’t see the field, but if he does, he’s better then what we’ve had.

This is what I keep trying to tell people. The Jets are different football team with Darnold than without, especially last year. The Jets were quietly really good when he came back. The drop-off was that steep. Flacco will at least give you something as an insurance policy. I love the signing, honestly. 

22 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Cam Newton would've been a better option.

Of course he would be a better option than Flacco for a backup, but that's not what Cam wants I'm sure.  

Cam's best route at this point is to wait for someone to get hurt.  One QB always gets hurt in the pre-season, or something happens.  When that happens, Cam now has a starting job, and he's likely got enough left that the team signing him is still going to have playoff aspirations, instead of looking at a losing season with the backup.  

• Like 1

He isnt just bad, alot of bad QB's can be good locker room presences as backup QBs. But last season once he was injured he basically quit on the team as a whole. He wasnt involved in any sort of mentor type relation with Lock. He was a sulking black hole who exuded nothing but negative energy. The idea that being a 10+ year veteran guarantees your a good backup QB is nuts. He doesnt just suck on the field, he sucks off it. 

• Like 1

On 5/23/2020 at 10:51 AM, SpacemanSpiff said:

This is what I keep trying to tell people. The Jets are different football team with Darnold than without, especially last year. The Jets were quietly really good when he came back. The drop-off was that steep. Flacco will at least give you something as an insurance policy. I love the signing, honestly. 

Eh...good teams don't lose to JAX, Miami and Cincy, then barely beat the 2nd and 3rd stringers of Buffalo. This all occurred with Darnold at the helm.