Jets sign QB Joe Flacco (One year, $1.5 M)

RaidersAreOne

54 minutes ago, SwoleXmad said:

That was a personal choice by Jameis dude could've easily cashed in given he's as proven as Teddy was. 

But also once again Joe Flacco gets paid more than the league leader in passing yards is a tradition I hope never dies. 

The point of my post was just to further emphasize the value the Saints got on their deal with Winston. 

Does this put any pressure on Darnold? I know Flacco isn't getting paid to start which helps with that but does Darnold need to win one of the first three games to keep Flacco from starting game 4? How about an 0-5 start? When would that get obvious that you should try out Flacco?

25 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Does this put any pressure on Darnold? I know Flacco isn't getting paid to start which helps with that but does Darnold need to win one of the first three games to keep Flacco from starting game 4? How about an 0-5 start? When would that get obvious that you should try out Flacco?

Good lord no. Flacco is beyond done. Putting him in would be miserable experience for everyone and accomplishes nothing. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SaveOurSonics said:

The point of my post was just to further emphasize the value the Saints got on their deal with Winston. 

The Saints didn't get value with Winston though.

They committed blatant robbery. 

6 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Good lord no. Flacco is beyond done. Putting him in would be miserable experience for everyone and accomplishes nothing. 

Eh, Flacco is who he has always been. 5th and 6th best rating of his career the last two seasons, he is younger than Aaron Rodgers. He obviously isn't the answer for the future but if the Jets starts 0-3 or 0-5 are you sure Gase won't try another option? Obviously if Darnold is playing well the record doesn't matter much but if he is struggling a bit and the Jets are too then coaches sometimes have to look in another direction to try to save their job.

10 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Eh, Flacco is who he has always been. 5th and 6th best rating of his career the last two seasons, he is younger than Aaron Rodgers. He obviously isn't the answer for the future but if the Jets starts 0-3 or 0-5 are you sure Gase won't try another option? Obviously if Darnold is playing well the record doesn't matter much but if he is struggling a bit and the Jets are too then coaches sometimes have to look in another direction to try to save their job.

Flacco’s raw passing numbers do no justice to how absolutely terrible he was last year, never mind the soul-sucking presence he was on the team. If Darnold flops hard enough that you’d bench him and completely give up on his future, I guess Gase (who they should have fired) might try to scrape out a few wins to save his job but that would really be the worst case scenario for the organization as a whole. 

Edited by BroncoBruin

11 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Flacco’s raw passing numbers do no justice to how absolutely terrible he was last year, never mind the soul-sucking presence he was on the team. If Darnold flops hard enough that you’d bench him and completely give up on his future, I guess Gase (who they should have fired) might try to scrape out a few wins to save his job but that would really be the worst case scenario for the organization as a whole. 

Flacco is just ultra conservative now. He used to be a low percentage passer who could hurt you with the big pass (or DPI) but that changed awhile ago.

I'm not saying he is a good alternative option just that it could be interesting if the Jets and Darnold start off slow.

4 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

$1.5 mil is not threatening Darnold in anyway. 

I've been a Jets fan for a long time, Darnold is not anywhere close to  the QBs we have had during my fan hood. Since Chad Pennington hes the first QB who is legitimate.  There is no controversy brewing or short leash on the 22 yr old. THe Jets organization is extremely high on Darnold. This isn't Mark Sanchez who held the team back, this is a young kid with legitimate upside to become a top tier QB one day.  Darnold never been the reason why we lose games, its always been that the team was awful around him. 

Flacco signing was simply because we have no legitimate backup and when Darnold has missed games we had no chance at all with what been thrown out. WE needed a veteran QB as we just drafted a young guy with James Morgan, but I definitely feel better with Flacco as the backup vs Fales. 

Darnold, Flacco, Morgan is a better QB group than it was. 

• Like 1