Jets sign Joe Flacco

Bobby816

Broadway Joe 2.0.

I like:

• Getting a veteran backup, especially with playoff (and Superbowl winning) experience
  • The price tag

I don't like:

• It's a very hard thing to actually know, but it seemed like he didn't care at all last year. The team went 2-6 with him starting, including losses to Oakland, Chicago, and Jacksonville. And the team seemed to get better after they moved to Drew Lock. But I didn't follow the Broncos closely.

If he does in fact still care, and is interested in being a mentor and backup, then I'm totally on board.

3 minutes ago, TheChad said:

Broadway Joe 2.0.

I like:

• Getting a veteran backup, especially with playoff (and Superbowl winning) experience
  • The price tag

I don't like:

• It's a very hard thing to actually know, but it seemed like he didn't care at all last year. The team went 2-6 with him starting, including losses to Oakland, Chicago, and Jacksonville. And the team seemed to get better after they moved to Drew Lock. But I didn't follow the Broncos closely.

If he does in fact still care, and is interested in being a mentor and backup, then I'm totally on board.

I think it’s hard for any pro athlete to accept not being good anymore. Never mind not starting. So I think he’s humbled now and knows his role from here on out. He knows hes here to be a vet and solid backup. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TheChad said:

Broadway Joe 2.0.

I like:

• The price tag

I don't like:

While Flacco has not been great to say the least since his injury in 2015, he is still a QB you can win with. Take a look at the first couple of Broncos game and you can see some ugly losses that is not on Him. Not saying they would be 6-2 instead, but rather a 4-4.

It is also very very rare Flacco calls out anyone like he did with the Broncos coaching staff last year, where he said he didn't understand their conservative approach to games. He immediately got benched.

For what it is worth, Flacco was supportive of Lamar Jackson after he was benched, despite what the media narrative was. In the loss to the Chargers, Flacco was asked by the coaching staff what he thought about going in to start the game in the second half, and Flacco told them to go with Lamar (Flacco most likely knew he would die behind that oline that day). With the Broncos, he told how much he appreciated the Ravens organisation, so Derek Wolfe was recruited that way.

Basically, Flacco is a good guy, great locker room presence. He has always had that cool demeanor, which rubs off on some as he "seem like he doesn't care". That is more a fan narrative as it has never been backed up by any coaching staff or players.

AND, if you guy reach the playoffs. Go start Flacco, because playoff Flacco is a thing and that guy is completely different to regular season Joe

• Like 1

2 days later, I still marvel at how simple and near perfect this is for backup QB for 2020.  I'm sure the hope is that Morgan can be the back up in 2021, but there are always some QBs around like Flacco, willing to take under $5 million.  $1.5 is incredible (+ more for performance/incentives).  That $$$ amount is another reason to be happy we have Mr. Joe Douglas making decisions.  Decisions.  We can all understand why Mac was always so indecisive (that being one of the around-the-league anonymous descriptions of him).  Why?  Because when he did make a decision it was almost always wrong.  But specifically w/regard to back up QB, Mac  deemed it wise to pay $10 million to McCown for a year on the bench.  Too bad it was the year we didn't need him.  He vastly overpaid Fitzpatrick as well in his last time around.  LOL.  Mac has been in self-quarantine for a year before corona virus, btw, so something good came of it for him.    

Edited by dcat

On 5/22/2020 at 11:22 PM, Bobby816 said:

🙄 

Did you just compare a SB winning QB that has been actively playing to a guy that’s been out of the league for 4yrs? Come on man!!!

This Kaepernick stuff needs to go. He’s done as an nfl player. If you agree or disagree as to why, so be it. He’s done none the less.

For comparison Kaepernick in his career has had 15,500 total yards. While Flacco has had 43,300 total yards.

No sense of arguing why Flacco is a smarter pickup than Kaepernick!!!

Kaepernick is better than Flacco IMO. But as a backup you can’t go wrong with Flacco. If a team was looking for a starter or someone to compete then yeah go after Kaep. But for us Flacco makes sense.