• Heck no I don't want Aaron Rodgers if he was the last QB on earth
    • I would take him if they threw in something good
    • I would trade them if it was just the players nothing else
    • I would trade Kirk and a late round pick
    • I would trade Kirk and a mid round pick like 3rd or 4th
    • I would trade him and a 2nd round pick for A Rodge
    • I would trade a first round pick and Kirk for Aaron
    • I would give multiple firsts and Kirk or Aaron Rodgers

Okay its slow here and i was thinking about posting this for a rise. 

Of course it probably wouldn't happen in a million years but just wanted to see what you guys would say.

Would you guys trade Kirk Cousins for Aaron Rodgers?

What would you give up if anything?

Mwauhhahaha!

You are right that it wouldn't happen. With the Packers recent trade up in to a higher spot in the first round to take a QB they wouldn't want Cousins' contract even if they didn't have to give up anything to get Cousins. Nevertheless, I answered the question without regard to whether Green Bay would accept it. I would rather have Aaron Rodgers and his current contract than Kirk Cousins and his current contract.

Both teams would have to absorb a huge amount of cap acceleration this year likely requiring them both to cut players immediately. Still, I would go it in hopes that the Vikings could get a few good years from Rodgers in '21, '22, and '23 at very affordable cap costs. I am not basing my answer on it being at all realistic that all parties would go along with it. For purposes of discussion, I an answering as if they would, which is of course farcical. 

1 hour ago, Cearbhall said:

You are right that it wouldn't happen. With the Packers recent trade up in to a higher spot in the first round to take a QB they wouldn't want Cousins' contract even if they didn't have to give up anything to get Cousins. Nevertheless, I answered the question without regard to whether Green Bay would accept it. I would rather have Aaron Rodgers and his current contract than Kirk Cousins and his current contract.

Both teams would have to absorb a huge amount of cap acceleration this year likely requiring them both to cut players immediately. Still, I would go it in hopes that the Vikings could get a few good years from Rodgers in '21, '22, and '23 at very affordable cap costs. I am not basing my answer on it being at all realistic that all parties would go along with it. For purposes of discussion, I an answering as if they would, which is of course farcical. 

What would you give up? If anything?

The dead cap money wouldn't work in either direction. If and when the Packers trade Rodgers, it won't be for another expensive veteran QB.

Rodgers probably ends up going to a team that's on the verge of contending except for young QB who can't quite get it done -- like the Vikings in 2008 with TJack. He'll want to go somewhere with talented receivers and coaches who are willing to let him be creative. Buffalo might be a good bet, or Cleveland. Or maybe it'll be a team with weapons whose QB moves on: the Bucs after Brady, Saints after Brees, or Dallas if they don't keep Dak (and if Rodgers and McCarthy make up, I guess).

Rodgers talents would be relatively wasted in Minnesota as long as they're running Kubiak's scheme. The Vikings need a high level game manager / distributor QB, who's accurate and willing to work within the scheme. Cousins is good in that role (the elite version is Brady or Brees), but it would be a poor fit for Rodgers. So I can't imagine the Vikings would be interested unless they're planning a coaching/scheme change. 

Edited by Krauser
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Vikings don't "need" a high level game manager ...  Vikings are settling for game manager QB play currently.

I don't mean game manager in the sense of not elite, but in terms of playing within structure. Brady and Brees are game managers, in that sense.

Kubiak/Shanahan teams need a QB who will run the play as called. Rodgers is best when he can improvise. 

4 hours ago, HeydudemanG said:

What would you give up? If anything?

As you stated in the topic, this is hypothetical so I'll answer hypothetically ignoring all of the reasons why the trade would never actually happen. I would give my left nut to trade Kirk Cousins for Aaron Rodgers.

Rodgers doesn't have many good years left. That needs to be taken into account. With that consideration I probably withhold my left nut from the transaction and give a low round pick. Call it a 6th.

On 5/23/2020 at 10:53 AM, SteelKing728 said:

Rodgers is going to end up being a part of the Chicago Bears organization and be highly successful.

Sort of like his predecessor.

I'd actually think the Bears would be a far better fit than the Vikings for Rodgers.

• Like 2

Call me crazy...but, I have a completely different feeling about Rodgers than I did about Favre.  It's not based on anything other than subjective observation...but, I really wouldn't want Rodgers on this team.

53 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

Call me crazy...but, I have a completely different feeling about Rodgers than I did about Favre.  It's not based on anything other than subjective observation...but, I really wouldn't want Rodgers on this team.

You’re not crazy. Rodgers doesn’t really come across as a like able guy. Certainly not like Favre. Favre epitomized everything a fan wants from the players on their favorite team. His demeanor on and off the field seemed to showed a guy who’s passion for the sport matched that of the average fan. 

Growing up I always heard the same thing about Brett Favre, “I hate him because he’s a Packer, but I’d take him on my team 100 times out of 100.” With Rodgers, there seems to be a lot of the opposite sentiment where not many Packer fans would like him if he wasn’t a Packer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

You’re not crazy. Rodgers doesn’t really come across as a like able guy. Certainly not like Favre. Favre epitomized everything a fan wants from the players on their favorite team. His demeanor on and off the field seemed to showed a guy who’s passion for the sport matched that of the average fan. 

Growing up I always heard the same thing about Brett Favre, “I hate him because he’s a Packer, but I’d take him on my team 100 times out of 100.” With Rodgers, there seems to be a lot of the opposite sentiment where not many Packer fans would like him if he wasn’t a Packer. 

It probably has a lot to do with him being a Cali kid, as compared to a Mississippi kid like Favre.  Midwesterners have a lot more in common culturally with the Bayou region than with Cali.  Although, Aaron can't even get along with his own family.  xD

Favre has the personality that upper Midwesterners really identify with, Aaron's personality is more suited to the coasts (both East and West).