SaveOurSonics

What should we expect from coaching changes?

Posted (edited)

One of the things I'm always most interested in when forecasting team improvement/decline from one year to the next is coaching/coordinator changes and the impact that might have. I'm very curious to hear from the forum regarding the changes we should expect each of these coaches to make on their respective teams. Here's a short list of impact changes: 

Panthers
HC - Matt Rhule (previously Baylor HC) 
OC - Joe Brady (previously LSU passing game coordinator) 

Browns
HC - Kevin Stefanski (previously Vikings OC) 
OC - Alex Van Pelt (though likely Stefanski calls plays) (previously Bengals QBs coach) 

Cowboys 
HC - Mike McCarthy (previously unemployed) 

Bears
OC - Bill Lazor (previously Bengals OC)

Broncos 
OC - Pat Shurmur (previously Giants HC) 

Jaguars 
OC - Jay Gruden (previously Redskins HC) 

Chargers 
OC - Shane Steichen (previously team's QB coach) 

Dolphins 
OC - Chan Gailey (previously unemployed) 

Vikings 
OC - Gary Kubiak (previously team's Assistant HC) 

Giants 
HC - Joe Judge (previously Patriots ST coach) 
OC - Jason Garrett (previously Cowboys HC) 

Redskins 
HC - Ron Rivera (previously Panthers HC) 
OC - Scott Turner (previously Panthers OC) 

Out of my own self interest, I have limited this to Head Coaches and Offensive Coordinators, but feel free to also bring up new DCs in this conversation as well. 

Edited by SaveOurSonics

I like the change from Stefanski to Kubiak. Should be a huge boost for the Vikes offense. 

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

I like the change from Stefanski to Kubiak. Should be a huge boost for the Vikes offense. 

What are Vikings fans expecting from the change? Obviously Kubiak is known for play action passing and getting his QB out of the pocket. 

28 minutes ago, SaveOurSonics said:

What are Vikings fans expecting from the change? Obviously Kubiak is known for play action passing and getting his QB out of the pocket. 

Stefanski ran the same offense that Kubiak has employed, basically the wide zone, lots of rollouts and playaction, lots of two TE sets. So that won’t change because, MN did all of that last year. I think it’s the leadership that Kubiak offers, which can allow Zimmer to focus on defense. Kubiak is obviously light years ahead of Stefanski, who’s offense seemed to sputter down the stretch and didn’t seem to have an answer when Thielen went down. I hope to see a better use of all of the RBs, Stefanski seemed to run Cook into the ground later in the year. 

For the Redskins, I wouldn't expect much this year, and maybe next year.  The bottom fell out last year, on a decade where we had a sub .400 winning percentage under Bruce Allen.  Ron Rivera has quite the culture to change after Club Jay.  It is entirely possible that the Redskins end up with the #1 or #2 pick again this year.  A top 5 pick is extremely likely, a top 10 pick is assured.  I would venture to guess that, starting year 3 of Rivera, maybe half of this roster will still on on the team.  

As far as coordinators go, I'm actually pretty excited.  Wholesale improvements don't happen in year one of scheme changes, but the switch to a 4-3 has sorely been needed for the Redskins.  If Jack Del Rio can fix the third down conversions, I'll be happy if that's the only progress we make this year.  

I was more than a bit down on the Scott Turner hiring.  I hated it, and wondered why Rivera wanted to move on from Kevin O'Connell, and if he wanted to, why did he think it was a good idea to bring Norv's son along to the Redskins?  The more I've read about Turner, the more I like him.  It seems he wants to fit the scheme to his players (not the other way around) and he is a heavy believer in football analytics, which is a curve I want the Redskins to be ahead of.  

For the Browns, they will gain a system. They haven’t had a system coach on offense in forever. It seems like we previously ran a hodgepodge of stuff and didn’t have an identity on that side of the football. Chubb would be having a dominant game, but we felt the need to sling the rock to Jarvis and Odell. We would be killing teams with an empty passing attack, and then would bring in 2 TEs (bad ones, at that) and try to play action and win with 1-1’s on the outside.

We finally know what we are going to be seeing this year. A zone blocking scheme where short to intermediate passing concepts will be open off of long, drawn-out play actions. 2-TE sets will be our base and we will mercilessly run off tackle until teams overcommit. 

Baker should have a much higher completion percentage and much more favorable throws and situations next season. I think Chubb has an insane season with Baker, Odell, and Landry producing at an extremely efficient, yet unspectacular level.

Defensively, we brought in Joe Woods, who said we will be running more man than zone now with our current set of corners and DB’s. That’s a huge win for us, as we had DBs that excelled in man, yet, we ran a ton of zone. I hope our pass rush gives us something outside of Garrett, who is always on. That would make this team a legit contender. Hopefully we bring in Clowney or Griffen, but I think a healthy Olivier Vernon is decent enough to start for most teams. 

I'm just going to say what I think of the head coaches. Admittedly, I don't know how about the coordinator changes. 

Panthers

I am okay with his hire, but I really didn't understand the big hype train about Rhule. Everyone is acting like this guy was gonna be THE slam dunk, home-run hire of the offseason. I never understood that. He's got a year of pro football coaching experience as an assistant OL coach. I don't see how that's going to serve him any better than * YELLING AND FLAILING ARMS* NICK SABAN'S ACTUAL YEARS OF EXPERIENCE AS BELICHICK'S DC. DUDE STILL FLAMED OUT IN PRO FOOTBALL. TLDR; This hire is a huge risk, but everyone was acting like this guy was Pete Carroll. No. Stop. 

Browns

I love how this hire was basically Paul DePodesta going: I told you so, Jimmy. If you want moneyball to work, you can't fire the moneyball guys in the middle of the moneyball rebuild, hire football people, then expect it all to work. Jimmy Haslam is the worst owner in football, and I feel so bad for anyone who has to work for him. Stefanski seems like a good guy. I'm interested to see if Paul's handpicked man is going to be able to do this gig, especially knowing that he has to submit gameplays to analytics. (Interesting idea.) 

Cowboys 

This was a strange fit. We'll see if McCarthy has upped his game. Don't have more to say beyond that. 

Giants 

This was my favorite hire of the entire offseason. Seems like a good fit, the staff he's building looks darn good, and special teams coaches have amazing NFL track records. I really applaud the Giants for going off the beaten path with their hire. NFL orthodoxy is the pits. 

Redskins 

I like Ron, but I have a bad feeling about this. Call it a hunch. There's no evidence to support it, and the team could work out well under his leadership. I just... can't get there on Rivera in Washington. Feels like Jeff Fisher is about to go to the St. Louis part of his career. 

Edited by SpacemanSpiff

Rhule is a change, but I'm not sure he's as much of a sure thing as some pundits made him out to be. New to the league, so it's a fair 50/50 on what we'll see in pretty much all aspects. 

Stefanski is a good hire, but Cleveland's management is.....yeah. His stock should rehab fairly easy in 2022 somewhere else. 

Big Mac. Sorry, Dallas. Be ready for some nauseating moments. 

Bill Lazor is a known commodity. They got rid of Helfrich who, take it from me, sucks. Whatever they field will be an improvement. 

Jay Gruden is gonna bro it up with Tony and be Jacksonville's next HC. 

Chan Gailey and Gary Kubiak are both well known commodities. Honestly, there's no telling what to expect from the Dolphins O. As for the Vikings, typical Kubiak stuff. The O won't change much, but his experience should have them clicking better. 

As for Rivera, I'm bullish on him and his staff. I don't think the results will be instantaneous, but they're going to have direction. His first season with a not-very-good Carolina squad was a 6-10 season with 5 1-score games. Took 3 straight no.1 finishes in the NFCS and only finished the season in last place 1 time. He's not flashy, but he's effective. Fact is, if Cam Newton isn't banged up in 2018, they don't finish 7-9 after the start they had, and he's probably not fired last year. It seemed more like natural progression of a coach and QB attached at the hip. The Panthers tried to hold out for Cam's health and made no effort to replace him while Rivera was there. They weren't going to go into a rebuild with him, and that's not really a huge indictment of his ability as a coach. Sometimes its just time to part ways. I don't expect much better than a 3 or 4 win season at best for Washington, but they'll be competitive and could be competing in their division much sooner than we think. 

Panthers
OC - Joe Brady (previously LSU passing game coordinator) 

To me this is a lateral move. The bigger change will be having Teddy and not a a guy who wont stick in the league long under center. 

Browns
OC - Alex Van Pelt (though likely Stefanski calls plays) (previously Bengals QBs coach) 

Can only be an improvement from their previous regime

Cowboys 

Bears
OC - Bill Lazor (previously Bengals OC)

Broncos 
OC - Pat Shurmur (previously Giants HC) 

I'd say lateral move. Shurmur is solid at best but the talent isnt really there for the offense anyways so not sure what kind of difference he will make. 

Jaguars 
OC - Jay Gruden (previously Redskins HC) 

Jay should stick to his OC role. I think he will have a lot of fun with a guy like Mishnew. Might even put him on the map. Up from me. 

Chargers 
OC - Shane Steichen (previously team's QB coach) 

He can't save the offense in all likelihood, no effect

Dolphins 
OC - Chan Gailey (previously unemployed) 

This will be an upgrade. I dont like his match with Tua, not sure why but I dont. He fits well with Fitzy though

Vikings 
OC - Gary Kubiak (previously team's Assistant HC) 

Probably a good influence, but the Vikings O got worse this offseason so maybe he can keep them status quo from last year

Giants 
OC - Jason Garrett (previously Cowboys HC) 

This one baffles me. Joe Judge was never really considered a guy to watch by NE fans for anything more than where he was. Jason Garrett is an obvious down from me. Idk, boom or bust I gusess. 

Redskins 
OC - Scott Turner (previously Panthers OC) 

They dont move the needle IMO

On 5/22/2020 at 5:13 PM, vikingsrule said:

I like the change as well, but a huge boost? Stefanski was definitely being puppeted quite a bit by Kubiak last year. It was basically Kubiak's offense.

On 5/26/2020 at 6:23 AM, ronjon1990 said:

Big Mac. Sorry, Dallas. Be ready for some nauseating moments. 

Dallasfan has already had several nauseating moments with McCarthy on the other sideline.

The big comeback win in 2013 with Flynn at QB was epic and so were the 2 Packer playoff wins in Jerry's World. And the Packers hoisting a Lombardi in their shiny new stadium was probably nauseating for Jerruh and Dallasfans too.

HC - Rivera is a huge upgrade over Gruden.

OC - approximately equal to KOC until further notice.

DC - it can't be overstated how big of an upgrade JDR is over Manusky.

Not to say we'll be a good team immediately, but man, we've made some serious upgrades this offseason - the biggest was firing Bruce Allen.

Edited by HTTRDynasty