Does more need to be done?

Heinz D.

20 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Not only has he been injured the last few years but his production as a rusher last year was well down. Not exactly in a high leverage spot. 

Exactly. Well, guess he's probably off the radar, then. Too bad he's no longer an option. 

I dont get this obsession with a vet RB....I cant remember the last time it has actually made a difference since those Patriot days with like Corey Dillon. Marshawn on the Seahawks . 

Like foreal, when was the last time a vet RB made a difference on a team??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MonserinNC said:

I dont get this obsession with a vet RB....I cant remember the last time it has actually made a difference since those Patriot days with like Corey Dillon. Marshawn on the Seahawks . 

Understand what you're getting at. But....we need somebody. So, I don't know that necessarily means we're obsessed with a vet. Just depth. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Understand what you're getting at. But....we need somebody. So, I don't know that necessarily means we're obsessed with a vet. Just depth. 

Exactly. We need a guy who can handle starter level reps physically in case the need arises. Cohen isn’t equipped to handle 15-20 touches a week and nobody else we have is capable of doing so at an NFL level. That experienced former NFL starting level RBs are available to be added to fill that role is a fortuitous circumstance of which we should take advantage.

Look at it this way - if Montgomery were to be hurt is anyone really more comfortable with Patterson (who isn’t a RB) or Ryan Nall (who isn’t an NFL caliber RB) getting a significant amount of reps over any of the several options available to us right now in FA that have been discussed? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MonserinNC said:

Define your definition of making a difference? If by being a difference maker you are expecting a 1,000 yard player then those are extremely pretty high expectations for a backup RB. Unless you are expecting a team to become the Titans in late 2000's when Lendale White was stealing goalline TD's from CJ2K after CJ would run the entire field and Lenwhale would come in at the 2 yard line and get the credit lol.

To me, a difference maker means a reliable player who can come in and make a few big plays for a team whether as a spell-back to give your starter a rest, or if he is injured, or a player with a skill set that the staff can use to draw up 65-90 plays a year, which can sometimes make the difference between winning and a losing a game or two. 

Remember when we signed Micheal Bush? Same reason. Forte was great but his downfall was a goal line situations so they brought in Bush to act as a power back and it paid off and then some. We don't win the 2nd game against the Vikes without him. They had Forte's number's all game but couldn't stop the power scheme inside and Bush ate 'em up.  

Telvin Coleman helped 49ers last year while sharing carries with Brieda because of what each RB brings to the table. Frank Gore's entire backend of his career has been used in a similar way and he helped the Bills even after they drafted Devin Singletary in the 3rd round. The Patriots have always found a way to utilize a committee in a similar fashion --albeit, this is Belichick we're talking about. Latavius Murray is another RB who has had success with two different teams (NO and Min) as a vet--both playoff teams. 

3 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

I'm very intrigued by Artavis Pierce. Seems like a Kareem Hunt lite... good vision, balance, speed. Give him a lane and he can get you 5 yards a pop kinda guy.

3 hours ago, MonserinNC said:

Im not really against you guys to be honest but if your last hole to fill is the Michael Bush/Telvin Coleman role, I just dont think its a huge problem

But it becomes a big problem when Monty goes down with injury for multiple games. He's the only complete back on the roster rn and he's still an unknown. I'd rather have the insurance of a guy that has shown he can handle 20 touches a game over a turd like Ryan Nall.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, The_Romen said:

I'm very intrigued by Artavis Pierce. Seems like a Kareem Hunt lite... good vision, balance, speed. Give him a lane and he can get you 5 yards a pop kinda guy.

I forgot all about him. Yeah, you're right. He's an intriguing kid. 

13 hours ago, MonserinNC said:

Im not really against you guys to be honest but if your last hole to fill is the Michael Bush/Telvin Coleman role, I just dont think its a huge problem

Well, as @AZBearsFan said, you can't even begin to count on Cohen as a starter (or Nall), so it is kind of a big deal. You might be right that it's not a huge problem, but this thread is all about obsessing over every single little detail. :/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

I forgot all about him. Yeah, you're right. He's an intriguing kid. 

Well, as @AZBearsFan said, you can't even begin to count on Cohen as a starter (or Nall), so it is kind of a big deal. You might be right that it's not a huge problem, but this thread is all about obsessing over every single little detail. :/

It's not a huge problem unless Montgomery gets hurt. At that point it becomes a big problem

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

Haha, yeah Im just bored too.....arguing just to be arguing but these are my real thoughts 

I just think RB is super interchangeable. Nall and Cohen for like 3 games I would totally be fine with

2 hours ago, MonserinNC said:

Haha, yeah Im just bored too.....arguing just to be arguing but these are my real thoughts 

I just think RB is super interchangeable. Nall and Cohen for like 3 games I would totally be fine with

For the 8 total games he wasn’t on the practice squad in 2 years, Nall has had more tackles (3) than carries (2), with both of those carries coming against the Viking reserves in week 17. Other than that he’s had a bunch of preseason looks against the camp bodies still in the game in the 2nd half in the preseason games. Being comfortable with that guy getting real reps at all, even for only a few games, is way too hope and a prayerish to me, especially when the lack of a viable running game would mean overreliance on Mitch or Foles. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

For the 8 total games he wasn’t on the practice squad in 2 years, Nall has had more tackles (3) than carries (2), with both of those carries coming against the Viking reserves in week 17. Other than that he’s had a bunch of preseason looks against the camp bodies still in the game in the 2nd half in the preseason games. Being comfortable with that guy getting real reps at all, even for only a few games, is way too hope and a prayerish to me, especially when the lack of a viable running game would mean overreliance on Mitch or Foles. 

You're saying the career PS player wouldn't be "totally fine" for 3 games then? :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

You're saying the career PS player wouldn't be "totally fine" for 3 games then? :)

Presumed sarcasm noted.

I mean, I guess he might be “totally fine” for a few games but I see zero reason to have confidence in that and it’s totally unnecessary to risk the downside given the cost and availability of other options. Let’s not kid ourselves either - if Montgomery were to get injured in week 3 or so and be on the shelf for 3+ weeks there is zero question that Pace would add another RB to the roster right away, and it’s highly likely that guy would see consequential snaps nearly right away over Nall. That being the case it’d be dumb not to just bring that guy in now and have him ready to take those reps starting even during the game in which the hypothetical injury occurs. 

• Like 2