Does more need to be done?

Heinz D.

7 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Presumed sarcasm noted.

I mean, I guess he might be “totally fine” for a few games but I see zero reason to have confidence in that and it’s totally unnecessary to risk the downside given the cost and availability of other options. Let’s not kid ourselves either - if Montgomery were to get injured in week 3 or so and be on the shelf for 3+ weeks there is zero question that Pace would add another RB to the roster right away, and it’s highly likely that guy would see consequential snaps nearly right away over Nall. That being the case it’d be dumb not to just bring that guy in now and have him ready to take those reps starting even during the game in which the hypothetical injury occurs. 

Yes, your sarcasm detector was functioning properly

• Like 2

20 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

For the 8 total games he wasn’t on the practice squad in 2 years, Nall has had more tackles (3) than carries (2), with both of those carries coming against the Viking reserves in week 17. 

Kaley-Cuoco-Damn-Gif-In-Big-Bang-Theory.

• Like 1

On 5/27/2020 at 10:04 PM, AZBearsFan said:

For the 8 total games he wasn’t on the practice squad in 2 years, Nall has had more tackles (3) than carries (2), with both of those carries coming against the Viking reserves in week 17. Other than that he’s had a bunch of preseason looks against the camp bodies still in the game in the 2nd half in the preseason games. Being comfortable with that guy getting real reps at all, even for only a few games, is way too hope and a prayerish to me, especially when the lack of a viable running game would mean overreliance on Mitch or Foles. 

The Nall project needs to end. I understand why they kept him around based on his potential but if he was going to blow up then he would have done it by now. 

Besides, all we need is one more RB to fill a spot on the roster until next year's draft where you can find a reliable one anywhere between 3rd and 5th round that will hold your team over for 4 years while he is still on his rookie contract. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

The Nall project needs to end. I understand why they kept him around based on his potential but if he was going to blow up then he would have done it by now. 

Besides, all we need is one more RB to fill a spot on the roster until next year's draft where you can find a reliable one anywhere between 3rd and 5th round that will hold your team over for 4 years while he is still on his rookie contract. 

Would've been sweet if they didn't let Kerrith Whyte get away to the Steelers (?)

• Like 1

On 5/28/2020 at 11:48 PM, JustAnotherFan said:

The Nall project does need to end. I can't agree with your second sentence, as there is no way we can know if Nall got a fair shake or not, because of Nagy's uncomfortable Cohen obsession. But...we all knew Nall was never that great to begin with. They need to move on to some guy with actual promise.

On 5/29/2020 at 4:32 AM, The_Romen said:

Would've been sweet if they didn't let Kerrith Whyte get away to the Steelers (?)

Watch Whyte become a Pro Bowler, or something. Damn Steelers...

11 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

The Nall project does need to end. I can't agree with your second sentence, as there is no way we can know if Nall got a fair shake or not, because of Nagy's uncomfortable Cohen obsession. But...we all knew Nall was never that great to begin with. They need to move on to some guy with actual promise.

Being placed on the roster 2 years in row after coming in as a undrafted free agent and being given a chance to step up is a pretty fair shake. Cohen has nothing to do with Nall, they are completely opposite backs with totally different skill sets. 

On 5/29/2020 at 5:32 AM, The_Romen said:

I see what you mean but there's gotta be a reason why he hasn't been given a chance after his game against Arizona last year though. He got more touches in that game after Snell was benched for fumbling the ball but still wasn't able to earn more PT. The Steelers have a great OL and he is still buried on the roster behind Sameuls and Snell and is still fighting to make the roster. 

47 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Being placed on the roster 2 years in row after coming in as a undrafted free agent and being given a chance to step up is a pretty fair shake. Cohen has nothing to do with Nall, they are completely opposite backs with totally different skill sets. 

I see what you mean but there's gotta be a reason why he hasn't been given a chance after his game against Arizona last year though. He got more touches in that game after Snell was benched for fumbling the ball but still wasn't able to earn more PT. The Steelers have a great OL and he is still buried on the roster behind Sameuls and Snell and is still fighting to make the roster. 

Yeah, nalls a bum. Much rather see what Pierce has to offer as a one cut back.

Whyte would never be a good back, I don't think. But I think he can be a good returner/gadget guy.

35 minutes ago, The_Romen said:

Yeah, nalls a bum. Much rather see what Pierce has to offer as a one cut back.

Whyte would never be a good back, I don't think. But I think he can be a good returner/gadget guy.

Agreed. The only way I could see Nalls becoming anything useful in this offense would be if Nagy starts to to implement more plays from under center (something I have banging the table for him to do for 2 years now) and we would need a lead blocker or the occasional use of a FB on a play-fake -- similar to what John Kuhn was for the Packers.

And even, there is probably much better options out there for that role.

Edited by JustAnotherFan
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Agreed. The only way I could see Nalls becoming anything useful in this offense would be if Nagy starts to to implement more plays from under center (something I have banging the table for him to do for 2 years now) and we would need a lead blocker or the occasional use of a FB on a play-fake -- similar to what John Kuhn was for the Packers.

Definitely better options. Bilal Powell, Robert Turbin, Spencer Ware... Maybe even CJ Promise.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Nagy doesn't show any signs of trying to change his scheme to accomodate his players, in fact he changed his staff and QB to accomodate his scheme. Right or wring he seems to want to live or die by his approach. Pace too if you think about it.  Doesn't seem to be any sort Bellichikian/Bruce Lee "the best style is no style" approach where the scheme is just having players do what the do well. 

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

No one around this place at all. Yikes!

It's one of those situations where NFL news is somewhat dead and any news is pretty much irrelevant & every other facet of reality sucks so much. It's quite the world.

Edited by beardown3231
  • Like 1

So, 2017 we had all seemed to pretty much agree that this offense needed development. We got Robinson, Burton, and Gabriel. They seemed to be the placeholders until Trubs, Shaheen, White, and Miller developed. Well obviously, that's not gone as planned. One of them is an injury bust, one is a total bust, one is a head case at times and Trubs could possibly still work out?

So I guess what I'm getting at is, should we try to continue the development of Trubisky or is it a lost cause? Should Pace completely switch up the strategy and start building an offense with vets? Should he take another shot on a QB in the draft? Obviously the defense has been SB caliber for a few years now, it won't last much longer. How much time can they get out of them? How much time is worth a rebuild of the offense?

1 hour ago, The_Romen said:

So, 2017 we had all seemed to pretty much agree that this offense needed development. We got Robinson, Burton, and Gabriel. They seemed to be the placeholders until Trubs, Shaheen, White, and Miller developed. Well obviously, that's not gone as planned. One of them is an injury bust, one is a total bust, one is a head case at times and Trubs could possibly still work out?

So I guess what I'm getting at is, should we try to continue the development of Trubisky or is it a lost cause? Should Pace completely switch up the strategy and start building an offense with vets? Should he take another shot on a QB in the draft? Obviously the defense has been SB caliber for a few years now, it won't last much longer. How much time can they get out of them? How much time is worth a rebuild of the offense?

I'm not sure what Pace should do. He's going to keep swinging (and missing) at the offensive side of the ball as long as the job is his. He's done a miserable job at TE (now on his second try after the Burton/Shaheen mess) and totally botched the QB spot (now on his second try after the Trubisky/Glennon dumpster fire). His job at WR- Robinson aside- has been abysmal. He constantly avoids the OL. He thought Mike Davis was a good idea.

He got the defense to greatness in 4 offseasons. He's gotten the offense to terrible in 6. This is exactly why @WindyCity and I believe he's not only on strike 3 but he's headed for the golden sombrero. He clearly has a great eye for defensive talent, but his eye for offensive talent is blind. 

I'm afraid the defense probably has this year and next as championship caliber, and I don't believe the O will ever be good enough.

Edited by beardown3231