Does more need to be done?

Heinz D.

16 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

I'm not going to argue with results, but these aren't huge samples, so I still feel like a lot of the offensive misses were just rotten luck. If I had to list the worst judgement calls I would have said:

Counting on Long in 2019 (@dll2000 has some great insight from watching a practice on why this was doomed)

Drafting Shaheen with a trade 

Trubisky seemed like as good a gamble as any at the time, White seemed like a future star, Burton seemed good and played well before he hurt his crotch or his pride or whatever

Yeah, he lost every rep.  I am not that smart, but I usually don’t start those guys.  

Without any on the field OTAs it's kinda tough to know just what ingredients to add to this roster stew and which should be spooned out and removed.

My only suggestion is to look at wherever we could use more experienced depth without infringing on the potential development of younger players.  We're gonna need some of those guys to step up soon and they can't do that without getting practice and game reps somewhere along the line.  Find those who fit the scheme and play them when we can.

I'm not talking about 3 and 4 years vets who've already ascended to the top of their capabilities but rather 1 and 2 year guys who may still have upside if given a shot at showing it.  If they're simply not a fit and never will be despite their potential then yeah, set 'em free and replace them with better fits.  NE does this every year and teams sign their castoffs.

The more youthful competition we can provide the better off we'll be 2 and 3 years from now.  What we should not do IMHO is trade off the future for the here and now by letting good players go who only need time and reps to ascend replacing them with too many 1 or 2 year "tire patches" and some of the players mentioned here are only that.

Are we a team being built for the long haul to be a consistent contender or are we being rebuilt each offseason as another "Over The Hill Gang"?

Edited by soulman
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, soulman said:

Are we a team being built for the long haul to be a consistent contender or are we being rebuilt each offseason as another "Over The Hill Gang"?

Pace erred TOO MUCH on the long haul approach last draft, as there are impact players all over the roster. He should have been doing fixes to help insure a Super Bowl run this year, but it would be hard to argue that's where his head was really at. Doesn't mean the Bears can't get there this year (and they might), but I would have preferred different tactics. 

23 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Pace erred TOO MUCH on the long haul approach last draft, as there are impact players all over the roster. He should have been doing fixes to help insure a Super Bowl run this year, but it would be hard to argue that's where his head was really at. Doesn't mean the Bears can't get there this year (and they might), but I would have preferred different tactics. 

For you and others too maybe a one year run to a SB may be enough, but not me.  Three times in my life (one pre-SB NFL Championship) I've seen us do that then quickly fall apart due to age and/or poor drafting so I'm not interested in seeing that approach again.  The only thing that will please me is get on top and stay on top.  Phuc the rest.  It's too disappointing.

1 hour ago, soulman said:

For you and others too maybe a one year run to a SB may be enough, but not me.  Three times in my life (one pre-SB NFL Championship) I've seen us do that then quickly fall apart due to age and/or poor drafting so I'm not interested in seeing that approach again.  The only thing that will please me is get on top and stay on top.  Phuc the rest.  It's too disappointing.

Ehhh...I get what you're saying. But there is too much talent on this team to really be looking at such stuff as gearing up for a one year run. Then...what are we left with? Small thinking and overly conservative moves. 

Now, let me be clear, the Bears can still win the Super Bowl this year, in spite of those questionable moves. But that stuff shouldn't be hurdles to overcome. 

On 6/3/2020 at 5:06 PM, The_Romen said:

Lmao I love Akiem. 

I like him too, but lets be clear, Kaep wasn't blackballed because of his protest -- which I personally appreciate and agree with--he was blackballed because he was not a good QB.

6 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

I don't see anything wrong with trying to build a roster that is sustainable long enough to withstand 1 miss at QB.

The beauty of rookie contracts ---QB's in particular-- is that if you miss on a QB in the draft, you can use those 4 years to build around him so that the next QB can come in and be in a great position to succeed. 

1 hour ago, JustAnotherFan said:

I like him too, but lets be clear, Kaep wasn't blackballed because of his protest -- which I personally appreciate and agree with--he was blackballed because he was not a good QB.

I think at least a good part of Hicks point was that Kap was better than Glennon and should have been able to pick up a deal somewhere if not in Chicago had teams not sought to avoid the controversy he'd bring with him.  Now what goes around has come around and the NFL has been forced to take their own stance on this.  I think we may see a whole lot more guys kneeling in protest this year but as a team not just one man.

I don't want to delve too deeply into politics here, though clearly I would like to.  So just let me say you can only stretch a rubber band so far or compress a spring so much before they snap back and do some damage.  We seem to have reached that point once again but this time we need to repair it once and for all.  So I for one am glad to see the NFL wake the phuc up too and realize we all have a stake in this game.

• Like 5

On 6/5/2020 at 2:20 AM, soulman said:

I think at least a good part of Hicks point was that Kap was better than Glennon and should have been able to pick up a deal somewhere if not in Chicago had teams not sought to avoid the controversy he'd bring with him.  Now what goes around has come around and the NFL has been forced to take their own stance on this.  I think we may see a whole lot more guys kneeling in protest this year but as a team not just one man.

I don't want to delve too deeply into politics here, though clearly I would like to.  So just let me say you can only stretch a rubber band so far or compress a spring so much before they snap back and do some damage.  We seem to have reached that point once again but this time we need to repair it once and for all.  So I for one am glad to see the NFL wake the phuc up too and realize we all have a stake in this game.

Yeah, I truly understood his point. The same way I have heard these other conspiracy theorists from fans and such that he just wasn't picked up by any team STRICTLY because of his in-game protest, and that's not true, imo. 

He was a flash in the pan, terrible QB bottomline. Once defenses figured him out.....he was well below average. Now, did his protest keep teams from wanting to avoid the headlines that would come with signing him? Absolutely. But in no way, shape or form do I believe that THAT was the ONLY reason. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Yeah, I truly understood his point. The same way I have heard these other conspiracy theorists from fans and such that he just wasn't picked up by any team STRICTLY because of his in-game protest, and that's not true, imo. 

He was a flash in the pan, terrible QB bottomline. Once defenses figured him out.....he was well below average. Now, did his protest keep teams from wanting to avoid the headlines that would come with signing him? Absolutely. But in no way, shape or form do I believe that THAT was the ONLY reason. 

In his last few years, Kaep was one of the worst starting QBs in the NFL. He was borderline unplayable.

He might be able to find a backup role, but will he accept that? Will any team want to invite that kind of media circus for a player they're not planning to start?

• Like 1

On 6/6/2020 at 4:44 PM, abstract_thought said:

In his last few years, Kaep was one of the worst starting QBs in the NFL. He was borderline unplayable.

He might be able to find a backup role, but will he accept that? Will any team want to invite that kind of media circus for a player they're not planning to start?

History is being rewritten on that right now.     

Reality is even if he was playing fairly good margin for error is so small in NFL that nobody wants major distractions.

Even guys like Randy Moss, who is most talented WR ever to play, get taken out of consideration for a lot of teams.   They just dont want to deal with guys with issues, real or perceived.  

Tebow, was bad a lot, but could have stuck around league as a utility player and also played special teams for low money.  Also possible he could have succeeded somewhere when Chip Kelly brought a number of college plays into NFL and Reid adopted them to West Coast system.  But teams didn’t want the polarization he brought.  

Bottom line is coaches want guys who keep their heads down, non controversial and are obsessed with football.   They will tolerate guys that bring a lot of non football attention on a sliding scale relative to what they are bring to team versus how much non-football controversial attention they are bringing.  

• Like 2