Does more need to be done?

Heinz D.

On 6/21/2020 at 6:54 AM, RunningVaccs said:

He's probably better than Mitch or Nick, but even so wouldn't make sense for Bears with this off-season

Kaepernick isn't better than Foles. When the league told Harbaugh that, yes, on certain types of Harbaugh's RPO plays the quarterback can indeed be tackled, Harbaugh fled back to the college ranks and Kaepernick was never as effective again. Kaepernick will have to be re-built into a more traditional type of quarterback when he eventually signs with somebody.

Now...if it becomes clear that there is no way in hell that Trubisky is going to beat out Foles? Then, yeah, it would absolutely make sense for the Bears to sign Kaepernick. 

10 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Kaepernick isn't better than Foles. When the league told Harbaugh that, yes, on certain types of Harbaugh's RPO plays the quarterback can indeed be tackled, Harbaugh fled back to the college ranks and Kaepernick was never as effective again. Kaepernick will have to be re-built into a more traditional type of quarterback when he eventually signs with somebody.

Now...if it becomes clear that there is no way in hell that Trubisky is going to beat out Foles? Then, yeah, it would absolutely make sense for the Bears to sign Kaepernick. 

I don't think he'd even be able to compete with Tru at this point. Especially if all the noise about "knowing the system" is taken into account,  which with trading for Foles it obviously is. He's a significant step down from Newton and even from RG3, he's over 30 and hasn't taken a real snap in years. He hasnt ran a legitimate NFL offense since he's been drafted either, so how he'd process what is supposed to be a complex offense is likely a deterrent as well. 

Edited by Sugashane
  • Like 1

On 6/24/2020 at 7:51 AM, soulman said:

No, it was not the only reason but I think we might agree that it was the main reason.  No one wanted the potential disruption 'til now when it came and parked itself squarely in the NFLs front yard......and more recently it has.

My position is that Kap could have found a role somewhere and had he possessed the talent of a Mahomes, a Watson, or a Prescott how then might the NFL have dealt with him?

NFL owners and families are some of the most conservative individuals and business owners on the planet.  They have to be constantly prodded to make changes in the game to keep it advancing in popularity.  In their eyes they have a well oiled electric motor with some pretty indestructible bearings so all they want to do is just plug it in each fall and keep it running smooth.  Guys like Kap are like sand in those bearings and that is not allowed.

They could have dealt with this head on several years ago but that's not how they do it there.  The CBA is about the only thing they ever deal with head on an even that only in this last decade.  Otherwise they pretty much have to be forced into changes, especially social change.  This is not an organization of progressive thinkers.  Far from it.

One thing I read recently about Kaep def speaks to how conservative team owners are.  It was suggested that they approximated  back then that if any owner would sign Kaep they would lose an estimated amount of gate sales (forget the number but it was a significant amount).  And that makes sense.  Afterall, it's a business.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I don't think he'd even be able to compete with Tru at this point. Especially if all the noise about "knowing the system" is taken into account,  which with trading for Foles it obviously is. He's a significant step down from Newton and even from RG3, he's over 30 and hasn't taken a real snap in years. He hasnt ran a legitimate NFL offense since he's been drafted either, so how he'd process what is supposed to be a complex offense is likely a deterrent as well. 

I meant keep Mitch and sign Kaepernick as QB3. Then, when it's time to cut Mitch, see how far Kaepernick has come along. Make a decision then. I doubt Kaepernick will ever be good enough to be a starting QB running an actual NFL offense. 

5 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

I meant keep Mitch and sign Kaepernick as QB3. Then, when it's time to cut Mitch, see how far Kaepernick has come along. Make a decision then. I doubt Kaepernick will ever be good enough to be a starting QB running an actual NFL offense. 

Ah. Gotcha. Well he'd absolutely be a massive upgrade from Bray. I'm a big fan of keeping QBs with similar playstyles. You cant expect a reserve to step in and replicate a HOF QB's play but they can run the same system. Bridgewater's has the same arm limitations as Brees but the offense was largely unchanged stylistically, is Jackson goes down in BAL they have RG3 (who isn't as electric by any means but they can still run their system with him), etc. The switch from Tru to Daniel made the entire offense adjust, especially the OL.

If we get a QB that is a good scrambler as the hopeful franchise guy next year then Kaep would have some consideration for QB3, but the baggage would keep him out most likely. If the guy is a pocket passer then Kaep wouldnt even get a glance. 

• Like 1