What are the winters like in Tennessee?

Uncle Buck

Hi Titans fans.  I'm from Minnesota and can't wait to move out of this State.  The winters are horrible and the politics are just as bad.  I've been trying to spend some time in advance researching different places to possibly retire to when the time comes.  I get the impression that you have more of a 4-season year compared to a place like Florida.  What I'm wondering about is how long is your winter, how much snow do you get, and how cold is it on average throughout the winter.

Any advice you might have would be much appreciated.  Thanks!

26 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Hi Titans fans.  I'm from Minnesota and can't wait to move out of this State.  The winters are horrible and the politics are just as bad.  I've been trying to spend some time in advance researching different places to possibly retire to when the time comes.  I get the impression that you have more of a 4-season year compared to a place like Florida.  What I'm wondering about is how long is your winter, how much snow do you get, and how cold is it on average throughout the winter.

Depending your politics, it's going to be MUCH worse or MUCH better in TN as it's one of the farthest right and deeply Christian conservative states around. Where in TN are you looking to move? East (Best), Middle, West? Winters are mild and there's rarely snow where I'm from in East TN. Summers are hot and humid. Know traffic becomes horrible and many school systems might close for an inch or two of snow. I know we had a chance of getting out if the grass was frozen. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

I don't know if this means you'd be coming here, but from a Floridian: Don't. Just don't. The landscape is literally just flat, we have one of the worst education systems in the country, the weather is AWFUL at least 70 percent of the year, and if the hurricanes don't kill you, Florida Man will mow you down on any of the Thunderdome freeways. And it's all fun and games living on the beach until a hurricane blows your house down. (Doesn't happen often, but even in central Florida I've had a couple trees topple onto the roof because of the winds from a Cat 1.) 

Perks: Publix Supermarket is the truth, dude. But I'm pretty sure they have it in Tennessee, too. Seeing an Atlas V rocket at Kennedy Space Center is as awesome as awesome gets. Disney World is actually pretty rad too, and if you don't like it, I'm sure you have your reasons, but one of them just could be that you're a jaded human being who probably is mean to dogs. South Florida/Miami is really fun if you know how to party and have a lot of money, but I don't on either of those things so I tend to avoid it unless I'm there on business. 

We're not discussing politics here, but inferring from your wanting to leave Minnesota, I think you'd be more happy in Tennessee than in Florida, but not by much, actually. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Depending your politics, it's going to be MUCH worse or MUCH better in TN as it's one of the farthest right and deeply Christian conservative states around. Where in TN are you looking to move? East (Best), Middle, West? Winters are mild and there's rarely snow where I'm from in East TN. Summers are hot and humid. Know traffic becomes horrible and many school systems might close for an inch or two of snow. I know we had a chance of getting out if the grass was frozen. 

As far as politics, that's exactly what I'm looking for.  Minnesota is just the opposite.  If I did move to Tennessee, my guess is that I'd go to somewhere around Knoxville.  That's funny that you had a chance of getting out of school when the grass was frozen!  It is amazing what a difference there is in different parts of the country.  I love the heat and humidity, so that would be great in the summer.  Anyway, thanks for the info.  Maybe we will be neighbors in a few years.  :)

46 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

As far as politics, that's exactly what I'm looking for.  Minnesota is just the opposite.  If I did move to Tennessee, my guess is that I'd go to somewhere around Knoxville.  That's funny that you had a chance of getting out of school when the grass was frozen!  It is amazing what a difference there is in different parts of the country.  I love the heat and humidity, so that would be great in the summer.  Anyway, thanks for the info.  Maybe we will be neighbors in a few years.  :)

Hope it works out for you! I love Knoxville but I got out of TN for the same reason you want in. Their politics are too much haha. 

You’ll also have close access to the Smokies in the fall which are great. 2 hours ish from Fall Creek Falls. About 90 minutes to Chattanooga. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

I don't know if this means you'd be coming here, but from a Floridian: Don't. Just don't. The landscape is literally just flat, we have one of the worst education systems in the country, the weather is AWFUL at least 70 percent of the year, and if the hurricanes don't kill you, Florida Man will mow you down on any of the Thunderdome freeways. And it's all fun and games living on the beach until a hurricane blows your house down. (Doesn't happen often, but even in central Florida I've had a couple trees topple onto the roof because of the winds from a Cat 1.) 

Perks: Publix Supermarket is the truth, dude. But I'm pretty sure they have it in Tennessee, too. Seeing an Atlas V rocket at Kennedy Space Center is as awesome as awesome gets. Disney World is actually pretty rad too, and if you don't like it, I'm sure you have your reasons, but one of them just could be that you're a jaded human being who probably is mean to dogs. South Florida/Miami is really fun if you know how to party and have a lot of money, but I don't on either of those things so I tend to avoid it unless I'm there on business. 

We're not discussing politics here, but inferring from your wanting to leave Minnesota, I think you'd be more happy in Tennessee than in Florida, but not by much, actually. 

I can understand what you're saying about Florida.  I have been down to Naples before and loved it, but that was a number of years ago and I'm afraid that by the time I retire, the State may have gotten a little overcrowded.  It IS nice down there though.

9 minutes ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Hope it works out for you! I love Knoxville but I got out of TN for the same reason you want in. Their politics are too much haha. 

You’ll also have close access to the Smokies in the fall which are great. 2 hours ish from Fall Creek Falls. About 90 minutes to Chattanooga. 

Maybe we can buy each other's houses and make the move.  Hahaha!  I've driven through the area a number of times and really liked it.  Lots of beauty down there.  If you every consider moving, Minnesota is always very high on "quality of life" lists.  It's very nice in a lot of ways if you can take the winters.

7 hours ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Fall Creek Falls is overrated.  The best thing about it is dumb out of state teenagers who get caught smoking weed there and then have their parents give me money to get them out of it.