Should the Lombardi Trophy be renamed for Belichick in the future?

Elky

14 hours ago, candyman93 said:

There’s no way BB would sign off on it. He has too much respect for the NFLs tradition.

Name the COTY after him.

Given the recent passing of shula, and the fact that I believe he has more coach of the year awards than anyone, I could actually see them renaming that for him at this point.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Forge said:

Given the recent passing of shula, and the fact that I believe he has more coach of the year awards than anyone, I could actually see them renaming that for him at this point.

Again, WHY rename it? I have nothing but the utmost respect for Coach Shula, but the trophy should remain the Lombardi trophy. Why is this a thing?

If we want to recognize Shula or in time Bellichick there are plenty of ways to do it. Where is the salutes for Paul Brown? His impact on the NFL is quite possibly without peer? 

• Like 2

On 5/23/2020 at 3:25 PM, VonKarman said:

Just name the COTY award as the Belichick Award.

“The Bill Belichick Doesn’t Really Care About This Award Award” has a nice ring to it 

Edited by Dome
  • Like 3

Absolutely not. 

Even after Belichick breaks Shula’s wins record, the Lombardi Trophy should stay as it is. Lombardi was a great coach who won the first two Super Bowls. No reason to change anything, and Bill Belichick would be the first one to say so. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, kwolf68 said:

Again, WHY rename it? I have nothing but the utmost respect for Coach Shula, but the trophy should remain the Lombardi trophy. Why is this a thing?

If we want to recognize Shula or in time Bellichick there are plenty of ways to do it. Where is the salutes for Paul Brown? His impact on the NFL is quite possibly without peer? 

I was talking about the coach of the year trophy. There is no name for the coach of the year trophy / award that I'm aware of (though officially an AP award, not an NFL award)

13 hours ago, Forge said:

Again..... it was named after Lombardi because he tragically got sick and died in his 50’s. He was literally the Redskins head coach the year before he passed. 

Shula was retired for a quarter of a century before he passed and it wasn’t some sudden unexpected thing 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Again..... it was named after Lombardi because he tragically got sick and died in his 50’s. He was literally the Redskins head coach the year before he passed. 

Shula was retired for a quarter of a century before he passed and it wasn’t some sudden unexpected thing 

Again.... I wasn't referring to the Lombardi with that post

• Like 1

Tradition is a good thing, and Lombardi earned the honor of having his name on the trophy.  If BB wins a couple more championships, maybe we could start calling it the Belichick Bowl.  Either that or find another way to honor his accomplishments, which have been massive during this era of parity.  He has earned the right to some kind of recognition.