Should the Lombardi Trophy be renamed for Belichick in the future?

Elky

On 6/1/2020 at 11:23 AM, Wyld Stallyns said:

Why? 

Because we are all under pandemic watch, the experiment called the United States appears to be burning while Nero twe...err, fiddles and we need something, anything whether that something is preposterous or not to take our minds off things. :) 

• Like 4

After a lot of horrible takes and posts from @RamblinMan99 in general chat, I opted to avoid this section of the forums for a bit, my first day venturing back in here and some Patriots fan is asking the NFL Community if the Lombardi trophy should be renamed to the Belichick trophy? I seriously can't with some of your guys thought process and why you even think some of the things you think to yourself need to be said.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nick_gb said:

After a lot of horrible takes and posts from @RamblinMan99 in general chat, I opted to avoid this section of the forums for a bit, my first day venturing back in here and some Patriots fan is asking the NFL Community if the Lombardi trophy should be renamed to the Belichick trophy? I seriously can't with some of your guys thought process and why you even think some of the things you think to yourself need to be said.

I have to admit in my many years of watching football I have never heard this idea considered. NOT ONE SINGLE TIME. Until I saw this thread.

The Vince Lombardi trophy is aptly named and should remain as such for as long as the game exists. 

The case is easy for me. The idea to name it the Lombardi Trophy was on suggestion by Lamar Hunt and I think that act represents a final reconciliation of the NFL/AFL merger. Lombardi was not overly complimentary of the Chiefs after Super Bowl 1, so for Hunt to not hold a grudge and to let the past stay in the past and honor a legend of the old NFL was truly big of him in ushering in the NFL into the 1970s. 

It's a damn shame Lombardi was taken so early, I bet the 1970s is a hell of a lot different with him coaching, the teeth gnashing of Packers fans as the Redskins won Super Bowls would have been fun to watch. :) and I hate the stinking Redskins. I know there are plenty of arguments for greatest coaches, Shula, Noll, Landry, Hoodie, Paul Brown, but I honestly think Vince was the greatest coach ever, though Brown's innovations are sure hard to ignore. And yes Hoodie has been remarkable no questions. 

Edited by kwolf68
  • Like 1