iLikeDefense

Who's going to win Sunday?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who's going to win Sunday?

• Denver Broncos
    • Oakland Raiders
    • Colorado Rockies
    • Milwaukee Brewers

Just looking around the league, what do you guys think about a mid season trade for Duane Brown. He is still holding out w/ Texas and it may be past the point of no return.

He is 32, and is likely to struggle for a bit with conditioning and a new system, and wants more $$$ than the 9M he is getting paid (It may actually mostly be about wanting guaranteed money, not more money) but on the field, he is a monumental upgrade at RT. He would be an elite stopgap for 2 years and wouldn't force Denver's hand at taking a RT in R1 this draft.

Denver is better than we thought, or at least I thought, and we could legitimately be a capable RT away from really hitting stride offensively. The options we have now are seriously hindering our passing game and if Brown can be had at a discount based on his flags, it could be a great move.

48 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Just looking around the league, what do you guys think about a mid season trade for Duane Brown. He is still holding out w/ Texas and it may be past the point of no return.

He is 32, and is likely to struggle for a bit with conditioning and a new system, and wants more $$$ than the 9M he is getting paid (It may actually mostly be about wanting guaranteed money, not more money) but on the field, he is a monumental upgrade at RT. He would be an elite stopgap for 2 years and wouldn't force Denver's hand at taking a RT in R1 this draft.

Denver is better than we thought, or at least I thought, and we could legitimately be a capable RT away from really hitting stride offensively. The options we have now are seriously hindering our passing game and if Brown can be had at a discount based on his flags, it could be a great move.

If you can orchestrate the trade..by all means...do your thing. 

56 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Is there any indication Houston would even be interested?

Is there any indication Houston would even be interested?

Nothing directly indicating interest but at this point, holding out 1/4 the way into the season with reports neither side is budging, its a situation where one can assume he may be heading to market. Also, just going off headlines, many think the Houston OL is starting to gell without Duane and that he should be jettisoned.

I wonder if they would bite on the SF R4 for him. Looks to be a top 100 pick most likely.

On 10/1/2017 at 6:58 PM, BroncoBruin said:

I think this is a more talented roster from top to bottom. That team had incredible leadership though. 

You think? I think that defense had a couple more impact players and that makes a huge difference. ST and weapons on offense are definitely more talented though 

3 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Nothing directly indicating interest but at this point, holding out 1/4 the way into the season with reports neither side is budging, its a situation where one can assume he may be heading to market. Also, just going off headlines, many think the Houston OL is starting to gell without Duane and that he should be jettisoned.

I wonder if they would bite on the SF R4 for him. Looks to be a top 100 pick most likely.

HOU holds all the leverage with Brown.  Under the CBA, Brown has to report by Week 6, or his service time tolls to next year, and HOU holds the same rights as they did this year - Brown loses all of this year's salary, and HOU can pay him the same this year as next year.  And keep his rights for 2019 since next year was the last year of the deal.

Brown will be reporting to them by Week 6 - and if HOU wants to really be tough, they dock him 5/16 of his pay for missed games, extra $ for missed PS and gain the salary cap too.   Of course, they have no shot of re-signing him, but he's 32 now.   So while HOU's Week 1 loss added a ton of pressure for them to cave to his demands, now he has no leverage.   He'll have to return soon.  I don't see that HOU will take a discounted pick given the above.  If they deal him, it's for full or near-full value (if only to get the headache factor done, but don't see them taking a discount all given the above).

And before @champ11 says it - the above demonstrates how team-friendly the current CBA is.  While I have no problem with a team expecting a player to live up to his contract, the fact that it's not guaranteed for at least half of the last years on multi-year deals (unless you are  QB or young premium position player), and the penalties involved with trying to hold-out, it's really a huge 1-way street.  Too bad the NFLPA is so weak, they really need to step up next CBA (doubtful, but it's needed). 

2 hours ago, champ11 said:

You think? I think that defense had a couple more impact players and that makes a huge difference. ST and weapons on offense are definitely more talented though 

The 2015 defense definitely had slightly more talent. The biggest difference for me is the offensive line. Paradis showed flashes and improved week to week in 2015 then but now he's a proven stud. Vasquez at that point was a physical shell of himself, Leary is a big upgrade there. And we just didn't have a physical talent like Bolles at OT. 

It's close, but I think great coaching/game management, leadership, and an all-time pass rush is the difference. The talent on this team has a higher ceiling though. A lot more youth.

1 minute ago, BroncoBruin said:

The 2015 defense definitely had slightly more talent. The biggest difference for me is the offensive line. Paradis showed flashes and improved week to week in 2015 then but now he's a proven stud. Vasquez at that point was a physical shell of himself, Leary is a big upgrade there. And we just didn't have a physical talent like Bolles at OT. 

It's close, but I think great coaching/game management, leadership, and an all-time pass rush is the difference. The talent on this team has a higher ceiling though. 

To me, 2015 playoff Ware, Danny Trevathan, and Malik Jackson are significantly better than what we have at the comparable slots right now. Makes it an easy choice for me personally. But the OL talent is significantly better although the main weakness is still there. 

16 minutes ago, champ11 said:

To me, 2015 playoff Ware, Danny Trevathan, and Malik Jackson are significantly better than what we have at the comparable slots right now. Makes it an easy choice for me personally. But the OL talent is significantly better although the main weakness is still there. 

No question those three were significantly better. Ultimately, I think only Ware and Jackson's losses really affect us going forward because we just don't expose Davis to coverage as often as we did Trevathan. And Davis has done a great job playing the run, although a lot of that is just scheme. But that's fine, if it works it works. 

I'm excited to see how much Shelby Harris' growth and Ray's return can narrow those gaps though. Von is getting worn down by chips and doubles and playing 85% of the snaps, Barrett is getting worn down from having to play 90% of the snaps coming off no offseason. Hopefully Ray has improved vs. the run so they can really cut into Barrett's snaps. 

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

I'm excited to see how much Shelby Harris' growth and Ray's return can narrow those gaps though. Von is getting worn down by chips and doubles and playing 85% of the snaps, Barrett is getting worn down from having to play 90% of the snaps coming off no offseason. Hopefully Ray has improved vs. the run so they can really cut into Barrett's snaps. 

I saw Von getting triple teamed last weekend.  I think his presence is so effective...kind of like back in the day when QBs didn't even bother to throw Champ Bailey's way...teams aren't going to give Von too many chances to hack the QB.  I expect Shane "Are You Jimmy Ray" Ray to feast.  I would if I were him. 

8 hours ago, champ11 said:

2015 defense had more speed and depth (Trevathan-->Davis at ILB, MalikJackson-->Gotsis at DE, Ware, Healthy Ray).

Archived