2020 Green Bay Packers Defensive Line

Shanedorf

Packers DL coach Jerry Montgomery

Jerry Montgomery begins his fifth season with the Packers in 2019 and second as defensive line coach after spending three seasons (2015-17) as defensive front assistant.

yrcuopifwiqpdhlbjjmh.jpg

2020 Packers DL Room

Kenny Clark
Damon "Snacks" Harrison
Dean Lowry
Kingsley Keke
Tyler Lancaster
Treyvon Hester
Gerald Willis
Montravius Adams
Willington Previlon

Za'Darius Smith
Rashan Gary

And given that we'll see Z or Gary playing DL, I've added them to the list

“I think because of his skillset, we can use him more like we’ve used Z, on third down especially, where he can move down and rush from the tackle spot, as opposed to only on the edge,” Pettine said.

gettyimages-1174861696.jpg?w=1000&h=600&

Edited by Shanedorf

( I'll need some help in completing this one )

Packers used 2203 DL snaps last year per Football Outsiders

1-Tech

Kenny Clark
Tyler Lancaster

3-Tech

Kenny Clark
Kingsley Keke
Za'Darius Smith
Rashan Gary
Trayvon Hester
Gerald Willis

5-Tech

Dean Lowry
Kingsley Keke

From PFF : 

Green Bay Packers edge defender Za’Darius Smith led all qualifiers at his position in PFF pass-rush productivity (10.6) in 2019. He recorded an NFL-high 93 total pressures (55 hurries, 22 hits, 16 sacks) across 512 pass-rushing snaps a year ago.

I'd guess most were at OLB, but I do remember seeing that Z recorded stats at like 4-5 different spots on the line

42 minutes ago, ajdodge09 said:

Why do you have Damon Harrison under the DL room? 

because...

5 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I'm not convinced that a lineup of Kenny Clark and some dudes, alone the defensive line is enough to win a championship barring remarkable talent everywhere else on the roster.

6 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

because...

So you added him to the DLine group because you'd like us to sign him? I'm just making sure I'm not missing anything about us being rumored to have interest or something. 

• Like 1

Clark               879 snaps,  83 % of Def Snaps for the year

Lowry             642 snaps   61 %
Lancaster      381               36%
Adams           189               18%
Keke                 94                 9 %
F. Brown had a few

I'd suggest that Clark and the Packers would both be better served if he was getting fewer snaps, maybe 750 would be a decent target
Lowry needs to play fewer snaps, 350 would be a decent target
Lancaster is a little high, maybe 320 or fewer for him
Either Adams makes a leap or someone else takes his spot but you're looking to upgrade those 189 snaps too

That creates about 650 snaps to re - allocate/upgrade and I think GB keeps 6 DL this year

In years past, both Pettine and Montgomery espoused the idea of having a deep DL to keep them all fresh. The opposite of that happened last year
Now GB brought in 2 vet FAs in Gerald Willis and Treyvon Hester to compete for snaps with Lowry, Lancaster, Adams.
I'd still like to see somebody added who is good enough to spell Clark more frequently and not be a liability

22 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I'm not convinced that a lineup of Kenny Clark and some dudes, alone the defensive line is enough to win a championship barring remarkable talent everywhere else on the roster.

Gap integrity will fix that problem right up.  Gap integrity and pad level.  Nothing to see here. 

15 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Clark               879 snaps,  83 % of Def Snaps for the year

Lowry             642 snaps   61 %
Lancaster      381               36%
Adams           189               18%
Keke                 94                 9 %
F. Brown had a few

I'd suggest that Clark and the Packers would both be better served if he was getting fewer snaps, maybe 750 would be a decent target
Lowry needs to play fewer snaps, 350 would be a decent target
Lancaster is a little high, maybe 320 or fewer for him
Either Adams makes a leap or someone else takes his spot but you're looking to upgrade those 189 snaps too

That creates about 650 snaps to re - allocate/upgrade and I think GB keeps 6 DL this year

In years past, both Pettine and Montgomery espoused the idea of having a deep DL to keep them all fresh. The opposite of that happened last year
Now GB brought in 2 vet FAs in Gerald Willis and Treyvon Hester to compete for snaps with Lowry, Lancaster, Adams.
I'd still like to see somebody added who is good enough to spell Clark more frequently and not be a liability

Gerald Willis and Treyvon Hester both suck. They're lottery tickets just like Adams, Keke, and Fadol Brown were. 

3 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Gap integrity will fix that problem right up.  Gap integrity and pad level.  Nothing to see here. 

Except Pettine isn't preaching gap integrity. He prefers a pushback at the line and the LB to overlap that and make the play. His words.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Except Pettine isn't preaching gap integrity. He prefers a pushback at the line and the LB to overlap that and make the play. His words.

Yeah I know.  I wanted to rip his bald head off when I heard him talking about that and was so dismissive about how he got embarrassed against the Niners.

It was almost like his excuse was, “Listen, we got our butts kicked because of my scheme.”

• Like 2

There's also this guy:

6472.jpg

https://overthecap.com/player/marcell-dareus/1830/

He had his best year statistically when he was with Pettine in Buffalo in 2013 - Pettine helped squeeze 7.5 sacks out of him
He's certainly not a model citizen, he's been in trouble a couple of times -  but he's only 30 and is 6'3 and 330 +
Packers OC Hackett would have been around him in 2017-18 in JAX so you've got some insight there as well

I'd much rather have Harrison, but if Snack's a no- go then maybe Dareus is worth a look.