Stadium Saga Part XVII(Cont): Hosting the Big Dance

swede700

Justin Timberlake is getting back in the game. Thirteen years after his controversial Super Bowl halftime performance with Janet Jackson birthed the term “nipplegate” the 10-time Grammy winner — who’s currently working on his fifth solo album — has been asked to take the stage at the NFL championship in Minneapolis on February 4.

http://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/news/justin-timberlake-finalizing-super-bowl-halftime-show-deal-w505599

3 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

Isn't he a Packer fan? I love the guy but I don't need that bad energy in our stadium. Sucks so bad that Prince is gone. 

Yes...it's unfortunate as he's good friends with A-Rodg...but maybe that will put the bad karma on the Packers, so they won't be able to make the Super Bowl.  

• 2 weeks later...

The translucent roof of U.S. Bank Stadium that helps provide an outdoor field has been recognized by industry insiders.

The use of ETFE on 60 percent of the venue’s roof has received finalist designation for the Innovation Award from TheStadiumBusiness Design & Development Awards. U.S. Bank Stadium also has been declared a finalist for the Project of the Year Award.

http://www.vikings.com/news/new-stadium/article-1/US-Bank-Stadium’s-Roof-a-Finalist-for-Innovation-Award/aead31b2-a4a4-42f4-8ce3-1a45ccd418f9

So does having the championship game in your town really bring in a ton of money, or is that just a popular misconception? I mean, I can see a very temporary spike in hotel and restaurant business around the Cities, and some short-term job creation related to that, but what else is the state really getting out of this? We gave up about $1 million in sales tax exemptions to 'Super Bowl-related events' (which I was not in favor of), the traffic will probably be a nightmare...and I don't recall anyone ever doing a study on how much it costs a city to clean up after a Super Bowl, but I bet it's a lot.

Just seems like more of a status symbol to me. 

4 hours ago, y*so*blu said:

So does having the championship game in your town really bring in a ton of money, or is that just a popular misconception? I mean, I can see a very temporary spike in hotel and restaurant business around the Cities, and some short-term job creation related to that, but what else is the state really getting out of this? We gave up about $1 million in sales tax exemptions to 'Super Bowl-related events' (which I was not in favor of), the traffic will probably be a nightmare...and I don't recall anyone ever doing a study on how much it costs a city to clean up after a Super Bowl, but I bet it's a lot.

Just seems like more of a status symbol to me. 

Of course it does. But important to note it costs a lot of money too. Still, Super Bowl Cities usually come out ahead after it.

The biggest thing it brings in is foot traffic of people who might not otherwise come to Minneapolis. In an underrated city and state like we have, that cannot be forgotten.

6 hours ago, Klomp said:

Of course it does. But important to note it costs a lot of money too. Still, Super Bowl Cities usually come out ahead after it.

The biggest thing it brings in is foot traffic of people who might not otherwise come to Minneapolis. In an underrated city and state like we have, that cannot be forgotten.

Summary;

There are big numbers of revenue from various businesses, including the NFL, that benefit from the SB being in town. 

There are big expenses of those businesses for the cost of goods sold, and services provided. 

No one knows until it's all over if there's a profit or loss.   

The NFL and many football fans don't care about the P/L accounting thingy because there's new funny TV commercials, and it provides an excuse to eat and imbibe heavily.

This is a parallel to the 'Anything could happen' Theorem by Professor SteelKing728.

12 hours ago, Klomp said:

That's a nice idea. I love living here and I agree that we're an underrated state, although our population growth definitely hasn't been a problem. If we come out financially ahead and it doesn't leave the city a total mess, then I'm in favor. 

• 1 month later...

Public transportation in the Twin Cities leading up to Super Bowl LII could be difficult if local transit workers follow through on a planned strike.

According to Janet Moore of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, union bus, light rail and additional metro transit workers voted to reject a contract offerfrom the Metropolitan Council and authorize a strike leading up to the Super Bowl in February.

Both sides believe there’s time to get a contract in time for the Super Bowl to be unaffected. However, a strike of 2,500 transit workers with the additional load to the city from all the travelers descending on Minneapolis for the game would potentially create significant challenges for transportation to the various events.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/11/15/twin-cities-transit-workers-authorize-possible-super-bowl-strike/

If you’re headed to worship, work or play on Super Bowl Sunday, don’t count on taking a light-rail train to get there.

Blue Line trains between Mall of America and downtown Minneapolis will be restricted to those with tickets to the game at U.S. Bank Stadium and a $30 light-rail “game-day pass.”

Green Line trains will run normally between Union Depot in St. Paul and Stadium Village in Minneapolis. West of Stadium Village, trains will carry only ticket holders to the stadium, and beyond.

Ticket holders and the trains will undergo security screenings at Mall of America and a Stadium Village checkpoint. Train riders will go without stopping to the football stadium and enter there without further screening.

Metro Transit will operate buses every 10 to 15 minutes along the light-rail lines for everybody else but will not stop in the secure perimeter, about five blocks around the stadium. Specific information on where the stops will be available on the Metro Transit website. The agency will have “ambassadors” at many stops to steer riders in the right direction, said spokesman Howie Padilla.

http://www.startribune.com/light-rail-transit-will-be-limited-to-all-but-ticket-holders-on-super-bowl-sunday/457586873/

• 2 weeks later...

The last time the Vikings were in the playoffs, in January 2016, they lost 10-9 to Seattle at TCF Bank Stadium. The temperature was minus-6 degrees for what was the Vikings’ final home game not at U.S. Bank Stadium.

“Very motivated to be indoors,” Jarius Wright said, remembering that game.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/12/04/vikings-take-over-top-spot-in-nfc-providing-lure-of-plenty-of-home-playoff-games/

:D:D

• 3 weeks later...

The Minnesota Vikings are the first team to launch a virtual reality application for Oculus. Titled “Vikings VR” and available in the Oculus store, the app takes fans directly inside U.S. Bank Stadium to view 360 videos and photos from Vikings games and events.

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Vikings-Become-First-NFL-Franchise-to-Launch-Virtual-Reality-Application-for-Oculus/ff72e6c6-89c9-4cf1-a53e-d38d727a3d30

Archived