Stadium Saga Part XVII(Cont): Hosting the Big Dance

swede700

I have only been to two games in the new stadium. Based on my experiences, I have a lot of trouble believing the Vikings new stadium is the best stadium in the NFL. It is a huge upgrade over the stadium it replaced, sure, but for being a new stadium I was disappointed by the narrow concourses inside the building. I wanted to explore the stadium a bit before games. Walking around the concourses before the game is near impossible. It blows my mind that a structure would be built to accommodate over 60k people and then they would leave the concourses that narrow. I have been in many lesser venues that have wider concourses.

16 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

I have only been to two games in the new stadium. Based on my experiences, I have a lot of trouble believing the Vikings new stadium is the best stadium in the NFL. It is a huge upgrade over the stadium it replaced, sure, but for being a new stadium I was disappointed by the narrow concourses inside the building. I wanted to explore the stadium a bit before games. Walking around the concourses before the game is near impossible. It blows my mind that a structure would be built to accommodate over 60k people and then they would leave the concourses that narrow. I have been in many lesser venues that have wider concourses.

Something's got to pay the price when you build it on that footprint.  If they had built it out in that Ammunitions site, that wouldn't have been an issue.  

10 minutes ago, disaacs said:

Something's got to pay the price when you build it on that footprint.  If they had built it out in that Ammunitions site, that wouldn't have been an issue.  

Exactly. If the Vikings were to have the best stadium in the league they would have had to it in a place that doesn't force that trade off. The team could have had a much better stadium if it was built in the burbs. I would have rather had a stadium in the suburbs than that cramped space downtown. Tailgating could have been much better than too. That is an important part of the experience that is greatly lacking at the current location.

Of course, I would rather have the not even near best stadium in the NFL downtown than the team getting a veritable palace in some other state. I am not complaining so much as just disagreeing with an assertion that the Vikings have the best stadium in the league. They do not from a fan perspective. They do not from a revenue generating perspective. The stadium the team has is a compromise.

50 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

This is one gripe I have and probably the biggest.

From spending 17 games there the past two seasons, the concourses really do suck. Sure, they're bigger than the Dome but there's so many damn concession stands that the lines take up about 1/4 or more of the concourse and causes constant congestion. It gets really bad when there's concessions on one side and beer/souvenir stands on the other. Now you're losing almost half of the space due to the fixture and lines.

Luckily, section 114 is maybe 200 feet from where we enter on the far east side so we can usually hit the bathrooms, grab a brew or two, and get to our seats in about 5-10 minutes.

I'm also not impressed with the seating. When we did our season ticket selection, a big sell was "You're going to have more room in front of you AND on the sides!"

It's as worse if not worse than the Dome....

But yeah, nothing you can do about it due to where it had to be built.

6 hours ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

But yeah, nothing you can do about it due to where it had to be built.

I think this is the biggest thing.  They were already taking out a pretty big parking lot with the dome to make space for this huge stadium.  I understand the Arden Hills site would have been best case scenario but public funding wasn't behind cleaning up that site to prepare it for a stadium.  Heck, it was hard enough to get public funding for what we got.

1 minute ago, Heimdallr said:

Let's go Pats!!

No. I don’t care that the Eagles beat us. They did it in classy fashion when our defense decided to be Swiss cheese.  I would give a lot to not see the Patriots win another super bowl in my life time. 

Not bitter about this loss one bit. I am bitter about how our team played. 

7 minutes ago, mitty18 said:

No. I don’t care that the Eagles beat us. They did it in classy fashion when our defense decided to be Swiss cheese.  I would give a lot to not see the Patriots win another super bowl in my life time. 

Not bitter about this loss one bit. I am bitter about how our team played. 

I hate the team, the city and the fans. Do not want to see Philadelphia win. 

At least I can appreciate the historical relevance of seeing the Pats win another one

10 hours ago, upriser7 said:

yep...Let's go Pats. I would rather see Pats win 6th SB than a team winning SB for the first time

I also would rather have the Pats win because the Philly fans that were throwing beer cans at the Vikings' bus don't deserve to celebrate a SB title.  

Going to the Super Bowl is nothing new for Patriots quarterback Tom Brady as he’s been to seven of them already in his career, but each experience is a little different and Super Bowl LII will offer Brady a chance to rekindle memories of his younger days. Brady’s mother grew up in Minnesota and Brady spent time on his grandparents’ farm when he was growing up. During a Monday morning appearance on WEEI, Brady reminisced about his grandparents, who have both died, and said he’s looking forward to playing in front of other family members.

Brady: “Every year we would go back in the summer and spend weeks and we’d go fishing in the summer and ice fishing in the winter. I milked he cows with my grandpa and just kind of tended the farm. It was a great experience for me born in California, but I have always felt a connection to Minnesota. It will be fun because my uncles still live there, my cousins. We were just back there last year when my grandpa passed away. It’s a great place. It’s really special to go back there. The last time we played Minnesota I had a lot of people come — a lot of family and extended family. There will be a lot of great support there in Minnesota, too.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/22/tom-brady-its-really-special-to-play-super-bowl-in-minnesota/

see? now you have to support him and the Pats.

Archived