Troy Vincent: NFL Still Planning for Full Stadiums

naptownskinsfan

On 5/24/2020 at 1:25 PM, Starless said:

And I'm still planning to be a world-renowned composer. We can plan to do whatever we want. Doesn't mean the rest of the world will cooperate. 

One of my best friends is one of the brightest young minds in epidemiology (or, for us not smart people: the study of infectious disease.) To illustrate, she's an M.D./Ph.D. candidate who routinely is near the top of her class, teaches adjunct, and also has been published as a lead author in a major medical journal while still in school. Establishing credentials before I say what I'm going to say is important: Her models currently show something like re-opening/mask restriction lifts causing 50X-60X spike in incidence. Judging by the data we have, you have a better chance at your dreams than Troy does of his. Her models could be wrong, but I've not known her to be wrong often. 

Edited by SpacemanSpiff
Fleshing out what I said a little more
  • Like 6

I would bet a whole lot of money that more games are played in empty stadiums than even 50% full ones. This crap isnt ending anytime soon. The metrics in two weeks will mean alot, everyone basically ignored social distancing this past Memorial Day weekend. The size in case load increase from this will be a nice test model to what truly opening things will do. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I would bet a whole lot of money that more games are played in empty stadiums than even 50% full ones. This crap isnt ending anytime soon. The metrics in two weeks will mean alot, everyone basically ignored social distancing this past Memorial Day weekend. The size in case load increase from this will be a nice test model to what truly opening things will do. 

Yeah, you won’t catch me in an NFL stadium any time soon especially when you have people who can’t even follow simple instructions. How many maskless fans are we going to have, even if you have a mask requirement? How many players are going to want to play when that’s happening and they see fans aren’t taking things seriously? That’s gonna be a serious problem. I’m in the music business, and man, there are plenty of guys right now who can have my in-person gigs if they want them. I’m not playing while I see how the general public is currently behaving. I loved what Blake Snell had to say about all this on his Twitch stream. I very much feel the same way. You want me to play? Hazard pay + mask requirements + heavy, low-tolerance enforcement, and I feel like a lot of athletes are probably going to feel similarly. Our lives and livelihoods are tied to our bodies’ ability to function at 100 percent. It’s tough; I get it. But I’m not sacrificing my life for a gig or a game or a season. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

gonna need more than chicken wire in some clubs

Haha!! Love that! What a classic. 

Certain church gigs would actually be much more doable for me because a lot of those have these huge plexiglass screens — or in some cases, entire isolated booths — for sound cancellation that would serve as an excellent sneezeguard xD Also, for a man who likes to harp about science, I am kinda dumb sometimes and completely forgot about the distancing aspect. Most athletes playing fields are far away from fans generally that the players are at near zero risk generally from the fan base unless they’re jumping into the stands. Lambeau Leap might have to wait a season to make a return. But as an athlete, the bigger risk is the other athletes. 

Cancel everything I said about how an athlete might be affected. I retract it. Their situation will be the same regardless. You’re going to have to test weekly, pull athletes who are testing positive from play, same with personnel. As far as fans; I still don’t feel like there’s any way to guarantee their safety, so even stadiums that open to any degree would be wise to put coronavirus disclaimers that essentially say “If you come in here and someone coughs on you and you die, your fault, not ours. No lawsuits.” 

It is what it is, people just need to follow simple rules and it would be at the risk of the fans willing to go to games. I am sure some will avoid going to them because of the virus while some do not care. I do hope that they have some restrictions one is wearing a mask at all times while in the stadium. Some may be against it saying that it does nothing but it is common sense that if a person has the virus coughs or sneezes its going in to the mask, where if someone who doesnt have a mask on goes in to the air and easily on the people next to him. Those not wearing the masks will then inhale that stuff in the air. Forum is majority of men so think of it as a condom for your face, its like protecting yourself from getting a pregnancy or std but instead  covering your other head from an airborne virus. The other thing is preventing certain areas from being clustered meaning concessions and bathrooms have to be limited. Also hand sanitizer at every section as well as bathrooms and concessions. Ideally the stadiums participate at 50-70% capacity allowing social distancing between the seats but the govt as well as the organization only care about the economy and making money so it wont shock me that they want full capacity. Going to a game may be a risk but its also a risk to fly on a plane, go to a restaurant, go to a bar, another event, grocery store or social gathering area to get the virus, so you going to stay home the rest of your life? The way it has gone down I do not see this condition leaving this world any time soon like other illnesses like the Flu, Aids, etc. Just have to adapt and have common sense to protect yourself and prevent the spread to others by doing your part. 

NFL and NFLPA can say whatever they want but the fact is the Government has to say yes to allow them to go back to practice and then say it is okay for fans to be at games. Goodell said until all NFL cities allow them the ones who have given clearance to go back to the facilities still have to wait for those cities who have yet to reinstate it to be on equal grounds. I can see the same with stadiums if one city says no then the entire NFL will not do it, if some say only half then the entire NFL has to do it. The VP can say what he wants but its going to come down to the NFL cities Mayors, Governors of the state, to allow them to go back and then the league has to decide what is considered fair.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SwoleXmad said:

Plan for the worst hope for the best.

The NFL's already gonna have a major problem keeping the virus from spreading among employees, refs, medical people, players, coaches, trainers etc. 

Let alone 70,000+ fans. 

That sort of sounds like what they're doing, though.

Making plans about how to return at full capacity (which I would imagine isn't just the same as 2019), at reduced capacity, etc. Planning for all of the different iterations/COAs, including how they can make it work with no reduction in attendance potentially (until they get to the point that that Course of Action isn't viable and needs to be eliminated).

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

Saints played in San Antonio after Katrina. If their governments say no, go somewhere else.

You're assuming people will show up. I doubt the Cincinnati Bengals would draw that well in Nebraska...