Kevin Garnett vs Anthony Davis

RandyMossIsBoss

AD vs KG  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Is AD already a better player than KG ever was?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Whose play was better through their age 26 season?

• AD
    • KG
  3. 3. Who would you build a franchise around?

• AD
    • KG

How does AD stack up to KG? Is he already a better player than KG ever was? Obviously, in terms of career, it's not even a question and AD has a lot more work to do for it to be a conversation, but was KG at his peak better than AD is now? What about through age 26 season?

Lastly, when it's all said and done, do you think AD will be held in a higher regard than KG when it comes to all time rankings?

Comparing their "peaks" (taking their best 3 consecutive seasons to date)

KG 2004-2006: 22.8 PPG, 13.4 RPG, 4.9 APG, 1.4 SPG, 1.7 BPG, .566 TS%, 28.2 PER, 9.2 BPM (240 games played)

AD 2018-2020: 27 PPG, 10.9 RPG, 3.0 APG, 1.5 SPG, 2.5 BPG, .608 TS%, 29.1 PER, 8.0 BPM (186 games played, however, most missed games not for injury reasons)

Comparing them through age 26 season

• KG (8 seasons)
    • 5x All-NBA (2x 1st, 2x 2nd), 6x All-Star (no AS game in 99), 4x All-Defensive 1st team
    • Led team to playoffs 7x, 0 series wins
    • 19.4 PPG, 10.4 RPG, 4.3 APG, 1.4 SPG, 1.7 BPG
    • .533 TS%, 22.1 PER, 5.2 BPM
    • 108 ORtg, 101 DRtg
    • Missed 13 games
  • AD (8 seasons)
    • 3x All-NBA 1st team, 7x All-Star, 3x All-Defensive (2x 2nd)
    • Led team to playoffs twice, 1 series win
    • 24 PPG, 10.4 RPG, 2.2 APG, 1.4 SPG, 2.4 BPG
    • .588 TS%, 27.5 PER, 6.3 BPM
    • 117 ORtg, 103 DRtg
    • Missed 19% of games

Strikingly similar resume when you just look at the numbers and accolades. Neither had any real playoff success of note through age 26 (although AD certainly will if 2020 season continues).

I think it's very close. KG was a better defender, more durable, and better passer. While AD is the more efficient offensive threat. AD isn't always creating offense like KG often had to and his jumper is not as good (however, it extends to 3PT range), but it's clear he is better at getting the ball in the net, so I think it's fair to just call him the better scorer.

Personally, I don't think AD has quite reached the level KG peaked at, mainly due to the inferior defensive impact, but he's breathing down his neck, and I predict within a few years he will be a better player than KG ever was. He has the tools to be a defensive terror, it just is taking a lot longer for him to materialize as the elite defender we expected, but I believe he'll get to the point before his body betrays him. Now when it's all said and done, I will guess that KG will be held in higher regard as I don't trust AD's durability to stack on accolades, nor is there any guarantee he wins a championship.

I think the first 2 are easy for KG. The 3rd one is interesting though. Davis is the more dynamic scorer, but KG was more well-rounded and a more impactful defender.

KG finally got a reliable/worthy supporting cast in 2003-04 and proceeded to win MVP and lead them within a game of the Finals. They might have made the Finals had Cassell not gotten hurt against the Lakers.

Knowing what I know, I'd probably still take KG to start a franchise.

• Like 4

KG in a sweep. He's at least a tier higher as a player. Despite Davis' scoring advantage he's never been able to lead a team to anything on his own. KG was far more successful as a top dog.

• Like 1

I feel like stat wise its close but AD has some of the most empty stats in NBA history.  They dont lead to wins.  Maybe KG had a slightly better team around him than AD had in NO but he still struggled to be in the hunt for the 8th seed most years.  Give me KG for all of them.  AD is a really good player, but he needed someone like Lebron around him to be a winner. 

6 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I feel like stat wise its close but AD has some of the most empty stats in NBA history.  They dont lead to wins.  Maybe KG had a slightly better team around him than AD had in NO but he still struggled to be in the hunt for the 8th seed most years.  Give me KG for all of them.  AD is a really good player, but he needed someone like Lebron around him to be a winner. 

A lot of people thought the same thing with KG for a while. They couldn't get out of the 1st round for like 7 years.

Although they were at least making the playoffs and approaching 50 wins every season.

Edited by seminoles1

23 minutes ago, amac said:

AD is clearly more talented and I think he’ll probably surpass KGs legacy, but as of now I’m taking KG

He's going to surpass a top 20 player ever? I have my doubts. I don't see AD ever getting that high.