Last Years FA Studs and Duds

Spartacus

On 5/27/2020 at 4:18 PM, SDotNova said:

For the Jets:

Dud: Bell. Jets fans have been debating all off season whether his poor production was due to him losing a step or the OL. The OL was clearly an issue. But even with that, he looks like he lost a step or two.

Stud: Jamison Crowder. He’s a very good slot WR and should continue to see a ton of targets in Gase’s system.

TBD: Mosley. Got off to an excellent start for like 2.5 quarters. Unfortunately he couldn’t even finish his first game. Injuries ruined his season. He’s supposedly close to being fully healthy. 

Clearly was the OL, he had thew worst Yards before contact and he did a lot of work just to get the ball for 2 yards. The OL was historically bad. 

But I would still put him as a DUD because of the stats.

• 2 weeks later...

LAR:

GOOD

Clay Matthews had 8 Sacks and missed a few games. Would have had a 10 sack year if he didn't break his jaw. Wasn't a bad cheap signing as a situational pass rusher. 

BAD

Eric Weddle was ehhh (104 combined tackles 4 PDs), but you can tell his play fell off. He was a great leader for the young guys, but he was getting burned and likely cost us a game or two.

On 5/25/2020 at 8:38 PM, Jakuvious said:

Couple standouts off the top of my head:

Tyrann Mathieu
Mark Ingram
Preston Smith
Za'Darius Smith
Jamie Collins

Worst, again, off the top of my head:

Antonio Brown
Nick Foles
Jesse James
Landon Collins

And I think they could still turn out to be more worth it, but I feel like the value hasn't returned one year in on Le'Veon Bell or Trey Flowers. Not bad players, but a couple of the richest contracts thrown out last year, and the results weren't huge. I also feel like I saw more bad than great out of Earl Thomas, but that might have just been what I noticed. Could argue Ja'Wuan James, but more an injury thing, so if he comes back fine next year it's not a problem. Just no return on investment yet.

Think you have to add John Brown to this list. As a Bills fan i didnt expect much more than a solid #2 deep threat from him. But he really stepped up as a primary reciecer and was super consistent. Excited to see what he can do with Diggs next yeat.

2 hours ago, marshawn lynch said:

Think you have to add John Brown to this list. As a Bills fan i didnt expect much more than a solid #2 deep threat from him. But he really stepped up as a primary reciecer and was super consistent. Excited to see what he can do with Diggs next yeat.

Quentin Spain tho...

49ers

Stud: Brunskill, OL - Admirably filled in whatever position we asked of him as our linemen went down with injuries. Played both tackle positions and guard and far exceeded expectations. Should have started the SB as well over the struggling Person at RG. 

Good but not great

• Alexander, LB - Formed a terrific tandem with Fred Warner at the heart of the defense before going down with an injury. Came back for the playoffs but wasn't the same and unfortunately played poorly in the SB.   
  • Coleman, RB - Was a key part of the rotation at RB but only stood out for a couple of weeks in a RB-friendly system.  

I would probably put Dee Ford and Emmanuel Sanders in this category as well even though they were trades. Our DL with both Ford and Bosa on the line was practically unblockable (24 sacks on 164 snaps) but Ford missed a lot of time. Sanders came in an revitalized a stagnant passing game and came one step away from forever cementing himself in Niner legacy.   

Duds:  Verrett, CB; Mayo, LB; Matthews, WR. Only Verrett made it through final cuts but only placed a couple of series before ending up on IR.

Tyrann Mathieu - Elite. I was worried how he’d take over after watching Eric Berry play but man he backed it up. Leader of men, great at communicating and getting guys in the right spots. 

Fank Clark - Started off slow with injuries, last half of the season and Playoffs, he was dominant and closed every playoff game with a sack.

Alex Okafor - He was really playing really well opposite Clark before he got injured.

Damien Wilson - During stretches was probably the best LB we had last year.

Emmanuel Ogbah - Played solid football, nothing flashy but he was sound.

Brashaud Breeland - Again, not going to wow you like the top guys but he played well enough and looked really good at times including the playoffs.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/18/2020 at 6:07 AM, evilflamingo said:

49ers

Stud: Brunskill, OL - Admirably filled in whatever position we asked of him as our linemen went down with injuries. Played both tackle positions and guard and far exceeded expectations. Should have started the SB as well over the struggling Person at RG. 

Good but not great

• Alexander, LB - Formed a terrific tandem with Fred Warner at the heart of the defense before going down with an injury. Came back for the playoffs but wasn't the same and unfortunately played poorly in the SB.   
  • Coleman, RB - Was a key part of the rotation at RB but only stood out for a couple of weeks in a RB-friendly system.  

I would probably put Dee Ford and Emmanuel Sanders in this category as well even though they were trades. Our DL with both Ford and Bosa on the line was practically unblockable (24 sacks on 164 snaps) but Ford missed a lot of time. Sanders came in an revitalized a stagnant passing game and came one step away from forever cementing himself in Niner legacy.   

Duds:  Verrett, CB; Mayo, LB; Matthews, WR. Only Verrett made it through final cuts but only placed a couple of series before ending up on IR.

The Giants signed him last year after you cut him and he was our most consistent LB and one of the best run defenders at LB in the NFL. He was a dud for you, but he was a stud for us after getting him dirt cheap. He signed a 3 year extension this offseason. He's a one trick pony, but he's very good at that one trick.

On 2020-05-28 at 4:35 PM, Spartacus said:

If he keeps up the level of play from last year over the next couple he would be right there with Woodson IMO. He quickly turned himself into one of the top OLB in the league while also being a great leader for the Packers. 

While Smith was great last year, including a lot of stuff outside of just making plays himself that people who don't watch the Packers regularly may have missed (his pocket collapsing and overall disruption was regularly pretty phenomenal, while his attitude between plays and leadership off the field was also off the charts) let's not get too far ahead of ourselves! 

I've been watching since 2002 so longer than some, shorter than others, and for my money GB-era Woodson might just be the best player (leaving aside the position importance of QB of course) full stop over that time, at least to sustain it over several seasons. I firmly believe had he somehow played his while career with those numbers and that performance, that he would be seen as hands down the greatest DB (not even just CB) to play the game, while also being an excellent leader. I don't know that there's anything I miss as much as looking to number 21 on almost every snap for whatever was going to happen next. The guy could do everything to an extent I've just not seen before or since. 

19 hours ago, minutemancl said:

The Giants signed him last year after you cut him and he was our most consistent LB and one of the best run defenders at LB in the NFL. He was a dud for you, but he was a stud for us after getting him dirt cheap. He signed a 3 year extension this offseason. He's a one trick pony, but he's very good at that one trick.

Pray to God you never have to see him in coverage. Even in preseason against roster fodder he's horrific. Runs like he's in mud when in space. 

On 5/26/2020 at 1:15 AM, ReadyToThump said:

The Packers signings of Za'darius Smith, Preston Smith and Adrian Amos all turned out to be great. Billy Turner was a pretty average player, but not a flop either. 

This.  When your worst FA signing was a league-average starting OG, you're doing pretty well.