1960s Action/Adventure - Official FF BMET (Nominations)

Deadpulse

Just now, Malfatron said:

Good bad and ugly is unintentionally hilarious now

That's because it's been satirized and imitated so much that it feels unoriginal and derivative, but it's not because everything that makes it feel derivative was others taking from it. 

I was never a fan of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, but I'm not about to say it sucked as a movie because it clearly didn't. 

It's just that Once Upon a Time in the West is literally allegorical perfection of and complete understanding of the Western genre and Manifest Destiny.  Jill is Western expansion.  Frank is the West as it was.  Cheyenne is coexistence between the East and the West and a physical manifestation of the fact that either the East or West is going to win, and Harmonica is the wilderness.  Nature versus east versus west. 

As far as symbolism in film, all the pretentious drivelers out there from Lynch to Arronofsky and all the older ones (Bergman, Fellini, Jodorowsky, etc) pale in comparison to Leone.  They're all admittedly great at the symbolism angle, but their movies are boring and devoid of any heart, joy, emotion or anything other than profound symbolism. 

Once Upon a Time in the West is the only movie that perfectly blended entertainment with symbolism.  All the film buff fart-sniffing pretentious butts who think they're hot **** for thinking they understand the symbolism of Mulholland Drive can pretend they enjoy the Bergmans or Fellini's, but Fellini never made a single solitary enjoyable movie the way Leone did with OUATITW. 

25 minutes ago, August4th said:

Outpost got me wanting to revisit Once Upon a Time in the West

Surprisingly, I have never seen this.  I've been told it's just a western remake of Seven Samurai, but haven't really looked into it beyond that.

9 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Surprisingly, I have never seen this.  I've been told it's just a western remake of Seven Samurai, but haven't really looked into it beyond that.

You might have that mixed up with another western

time in the west is nothing like seven samurai. its a great film with some of best music you'll ever hear in film. Man with a harmonica >>>>>>>>

43 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Magnificent seven is what youre thinking of

• Like 1

7 hours ago, August4th said:

If I’m being honest with myself and going full critical film analyst, OUATITW is the best Western ever made.  My personal favorite is Tombstone with the former a close second, but watch that movie again with those character symbols in mind and you’ll love it even more.  

17 hours ago, August4th said:

Great movie.  That said, I ******* love westerns.  But I own OUATITW on dvd.

17 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Yeah, that's Magnificent Seven, which is also great.  The lead from OUATITW is one of the main characters there too.

10 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

If I’m being honest with myself and going full critical film analyst, OUATITW is the best Western ever made.  My personal favorite is Tombstone with the former a close second, but watch that movie again with those character symbols in mind and you’ll love it even more.  

Eh.  Best ever made, I don't know.  I definitely like it more than The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly, which is a good movie, but far from a great one.  Tombstone is good.  But if we're doing the best western ever list, the big one that sticks out for me is Unforgiven.  The Searchers would be up there too.

Anyway, noms:

For a Fistful of Dollars (this is the Dollars movie to nom)

Once Upon a Time in the West

Spartacus (you should all be ashamed)

Thunderball

Edited by Daniel

7 minutes ago, Daniel said:

For a Fistful of Dollars (this is the Dollars movie to nom)

Not arguing, as everyone has their preferences (I love The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly), but

For a Few Dollars More > A Fistful of Dollars

That said, I love the entire Man with no name trilogy.  There are still some classics I need to see, but my view of best western is probably a toss up between The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, Unforgiven, and High Plains Drifter.

9 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Not arguing, as everyone has their preferences (I love The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly), but

For a Few Dollars More > A Fistful of Dollars

That said, I love the entire Man with no name trilogy.  There are still some classics I need to see, but my view of best western is probably a toss up between The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, Unforgiven, and High Plains Drifter.

Oh yeah.  I get the opinion of either one, my problem with A Few Dollars More was the villain being the same actor again.  Yeah, he looked kinda different, but it was still hard to get around.

TGTBATU is just too long.  It's a classic for a lot of reasons, but I am just not going to often spend 3 hours watching a movie that's not Lord of the Rings.

I almost nominated Magnificent Seven myself.  Never got around to seeing High Plains Drifter.

Django Unchained could have been a great spaghetti western with some heavy editing.

15 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Man, too many different Bond movies with few noms. Proves a point, but also stinks because it might keep 007 from being officially nominated. 

I might change my vote from Thunderball if another Bond movie is one away, but Thunderball is the best option.

9 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I might change my vote from Thunderball if another Bond movie is one away, but Thunderball is the best option.

Agreed. It's lesser known/remembered that some early Connery ones, but it's probably the best in my book.

3 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Agreed. It's lesser known/remembered that some early Connery ones, but it's probably the best in my book.

So far, Thunderball and Dr. No each have two, From Russia With Love has one.

I could swap from Thunderball to Dr. No and end it.  If no one else hops on or no other consensus is reached, I'm OK with that one being the one that goes through.  I'll come back on before three.

• Like 1