Who do the Bills keep between Milano and Dawkins?

Trentwannabe

If you can only keep one, who do you re-sign?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. If you can only keep one, who do you re-sign?

• LT Dion Dawkins
    • LB Matt Milano

There is absolutely a scenario where the Bills can and do extend both Dion Dawkins and Matt Milano. But with White, Allen, Edmunds and probably Diggs also coming up in the not so distant future, Buffalo could be making a tough decision next off-season.

We've seen it time and time again where teams can't keep everybody. The 49ers are the latest example as they had to move Buckner this off-season because they needed cap space.

According to spotrac this is the market value for both Dawkins and Milano:

Calculated Market Value

Dion Dawkins Contract Breakdowns$14.3M AVG. ANNUAL SALARY

Market Value

4 yrs, $57,389,764

Avg. Salary: $14,347,441

NFL Rank: 64

LT Rank: 5

Matt Milano Contract Breakdowns$13M AVG. ANNUAL SALARY

Market Value

4 yrs, $52,017,404

Avg. Salary: $13,004,351

NFL Rank: 93

OLB Rank: 7

Depending on the cost of Dawkins it would decide who I would want to keep. If he is seeking what is stated with a 14.3 mil average, and not something like Tunsil got because BoB is a moron then it has to be dawkins over milano 10 of 10 times. Milano is a great player but LT is just a more important position to fill. You can always fill Milano's role faster then you would be able to fill Dawkins role. It takes time for rookies to turn in to stud LT then it would be an WLB. Plus if your committing to Josh Allen then you have to have the line to be able to protect him, if you cant do that then why pay Allen all that money. Ford isnt a guy who can come in and play LT so bills technically do not have an answer long term on the roster as of right now to move on from Dawkins. 

I am really torn on this. Our defense isn't the same when Milano does not play. Could McBean find his replacement in the draft just as easily as they found him? Maybe. Maybe that is Joseph. But that is a big risk to take. 

This is a big year for Dawkins. He's played well in 2 out of 3 years in the league and has shown to be a big member of the community and team leadership. But if he regresses or doesn't take another step forward I don't see the Bills forking over top LT money for him. 

Right now, I am leaning Dawkins because of the league wide need for the position. But I can see that changing by seasons end.

16 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

I am really torn on this. Our defense isn't the same when Milano does not play. Could McBean find his replacement in the draft just as easily as they found him? Maybe. Maybe that is Joseph. But that is a big risk to take. 

This is a big year for Dawkins. He's played well in 2 out of 3 years in the league and has shown to be a big member of the community and team leadership. But if he regresses or doesn't take another step forward I don't see the Bills forking over top LT money for him. 

Right now, I am leaning Dawkins because of the league wide need for the position. But I can see that changing by seasons end.

He had a down year because a nobody was playing LG, that is why it is important to have oline players as a unit. It showed that he was a top tier LT when he had a solid LG to help him out. I dont think you can judge his play on 2018 as that was an overall horrid oline and he couldnt do anything about that. This season he shows the same as last year then the bills have to pay him. 

1 hour ago, soflbillsfan said:

He had a down year because a nobody was playing LG, that is why it is important to have oline players as a unit. It showed that he was a top tier LT when he had a solid LG to help him out. I dont think you can judge his play on 2018 as that was an overall horrid oline and he couldnt do anything about that. This season he shows the same as last year then the bills have to pay him. 

Yeah the OL was shambles but Dawkins admitted himself he took the league for granted and didn’t work as hard going into his second year.

He made up for it last year. If he takes another step in 20 with the continuity of Spain beside him then he will get paid.

Really believe it is easier to find capable LBers than it is to find OT's. NFL Tackles not only have to be athletic, but have to carry a lot of weight in the right places. Combining the two isn't easy and most can't maintain the speed and agility once the weight is packed on. Gotta go with Dawkins here.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, BillsGuy82 said:

I'm not big on Dawkins. To me hes an average LT but his position is hardest to fill.

Tough call to make right now

Hopefully one way or another this decision becomes much easier by the offseason. Whether it be one player going completely lights out or the emergence of a young player making one of these guys expendable. 

Gotta go with Dawkins here. Milano fits the defense like a glove, and I'm hoping we keep him, but good tackles are so hard to come by. I think Dawkins gets underrated round these parts. I think he's a pretty good starting tackle in this league. We can do way worse, and many teams have way worse. 

On 2020-05-29 at 8:22 AM, Trentwannabe said:

Hopefully one way or another this decision becomes much easier by the offseason. Whether it be one player going completely lights out or the emergence of a young player making one of these guys expendable. 

Exactly, this is a big year because we might not be able to keep both with White, Edmunds, Allen likely getting large extensions next couple years 

• Like 1

I think it depends on the season they have. Milano needs to stay healthy and Dawkins needs to prove consistency and 2018 was a blip. 

Cody Ford is big in the decision making. He needs to have a decent season at RT otherwise I think the decision is basically made for you. You can't go into next off season looking for both starting OTs. If Ford cements his position, I can see them being more willing to take a risk at LT