Who do the Bills keep between Milano and Dawkins?

Trentwannabe

If you can only keep one, who do you re-sign?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. If you can only keep one, who do you re-sign?

• LT Dion Dawkins
    • LB Matt Milano

2 hours ago, BigMountainGoat said:

I think it depends on the season they have. Milano needs to stay healthy and Dawkins needs to prove consistency and 2018 was a blip. 

Cody Ford is big in the decision making. He needs to have a decent season at RT otherwise I think the decision is basically made for you. You can't go into next off season looking for both starting OTs. If Ford cements his position, I can see them being more willing to take a risk at LT

That is a good point about Ford. If he is a liability out there and must be kicked into Guard for 2021 then you’re right, it’s not smart to be looking for two new tackles in one off-season.

23 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

That is a good point about Ford. If he is a liability out there and must be kicked into Guard for 2021 then you’re right, it’s not smart to be looking for two new tackles in one off-season.

I dont think Ford's progress is going to impact Dawkins extension or not. I get the idea that 2 Tackles would be hard to fill, aspect of things but even if ford has a solid season at RT Dawkins is still a must re-sign if he plays well, finding a capable starting LT in a draft is really hard to find, the mechanics that are involved takes time to produce and not many are polished to come in and start right away. You aren't going to find one in FA at a cheap price to make up the difference. The top 2 positions on offense are the QB and LT, unfortunately Milano position isn't as important on a defense then it is on an offense like Tackle. I like Milano but if you have a top tier LT that is protecting your franchise qb then you have to pay that person. As much as I rip on BoB with the texans he gave up the farm to get tunsil and paid him a kings ransom but he can count on Tunsil to protect Watson and prevent him from getting more sacks like he did the year prior. An oline is just as important to an offense as the qb if you cant protect the qb then what good is it to have all these weapons and have to pay allen long term? By not re-signing him the bills will take a step back on offense in 2021.

If Ford will be impacting someone's future I see it for Feliciano more so then Dawkins, if Ford doesn't get things done at RT then he is a future RG and Feliciano will get paid somewhere else next offseason. I wont compare milano to anyone but it seems like a Poz situation where the cost will be to much. I know back then it was questioned whether he was an appropriate fit or not but the cost is what came down to it. I can see this happening to Milano as well. Just to many expensive mouths to feed 

4 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

unfortunately Milano position isn't as important on a defense then it is on an offense like Tackle.

While I agree that Tackle is more important than LB, it shouldn't be understated how important that position is to McDermott defense. 

It's hard, you see teams spend a large amount of money on QB, OL, WR (sometimes), DL and CB. If we sign Milano to a big money contract, we all but assure we don;t sign Edmunds to a big money contract. It seems fiscally irresponsible to have two LB's making $10+ mil a year. If we did sign Milano to $10+ mil a year, hopefully it is only until Allen's 5th year on his contract.

18 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

While I agree that Tackle is more important than LB, it shouldn't be understated how important that position is to McDermott defense. 

I think Mcdermott is able to plug and play anyone  at the LB corps. Its not like Milano was a 1st or 2nd rd pick he was a 5th rd pick the bills have only spent a high draft pick on edmunds and he hasnt really done anything else outside that to say that he needs to have high talented LBs on this team. While Milano is a great player I think with McDermott's system he can raise a player's talent then any other team as he knows how to utilize the players strengths on defense. Which the bills still struggle to do with coaching on the oline another reason I think the talent that Dawkins has and the position more impactful for an offense then it would be on defense. Look at what they are going to have to spend in the immediate future, they have Edmunds hes going to get paid, you going to pay milano too that is a hefty price tag on LBs, then you have Poyer who just got a decent increase, Tre who will command top CB money, then Hyde. Not to mention the bills still do not have a long term answer on Pass Rusher, Espensa is going on the LDE which is fine but the pure pass rusher comes on the rightside and that is something that has yet to be filled outside of this year. Thats just on the defensive side, you still have Dawkins and allen, not to mention Diggs if plays well will seek a new deal too. To me you have to cut your losses on some guys like the bills did with Jordan and Shaq and bring in talent at a lesser price tag that can still work in McDermotts defense. I see Milano not making the cut unless Tre or Dawkins asking prices are way to high for them to deal with.

On 6/2/2020 at 10:27 AM, soflbillsfan said:

I think Mcdermott is able to plug and play anyone  at the LB corps. Its not like Milano was a 1st or 2nd rd pick he was a 5th rd pick the bills have only spent a high draft pick on edmunds and he hasnt really done anything else outside that to say that he needs to have high talented LBs on this team. While Milano is a great player I think with McDermott's system he can raise a player's talent then any other team as he knows how to utilize the players strengths on defense. Which the bills still struggle to do with coaching on the oline another reason I think the talent that Dawkins has and the position more impactful for an offense then it would be on defense. Look at what they are going to have to spend in the immediate future, they have Edmunds hes going to get paid, you going to pay milano too that is a hefty price tag on LBs, then you have Poyer who just got a decent increase, Tre who will command top CB money, then Hyde. Not to mention the bills still do not have a long term answer on Pass Rusher, Espensa is going on the LDE which is fine but the pure pass rusher comes on the rightside and that is something that has yet to be filled outside of this year. Thats just on the defensive side, you still have Dawkins and allen, not to mention Diggs if plays well will seek a new deal too. To me you have to cut your losses on some guys like the bills did with Jordan and Shaq and bring in talent at a lesser price tag that can still work in McDermotts defense. I see Milano not making the cut unless Tre or Dawkins asking prices are way to high for them to deal with.

I think Milano is more of an outlier than the rule for Mcdermott.

Both Shaq Thompson  and Kuechly were 1st round picks during McDermott time in Carolina. He went and got Edmunds in round 1 during his second draft. 

Milano has been more than a pleasant surprise but the LB position is not one where I've seen McDermott take nobodies or lesser known guys and turn them into all-stars because of scheme. Unlike DB where that is the norm for him. 

I think if Milano is re-signed it's a 4 year deal at most which would give you Edmunds on a rookie deal and the 5th year option for half the time Milano is making big change. If it is a three year extension then you really only have 1 year where both players are making a lot of money. If Milano is still playing at a high level and creating turnovers, I don't see an issue with having money tied into the LB room.

On 6/6/2020 at 7:16 PM, Trentwannabe said:

I think Milano is more of an outlier than the rule for Mcdermott.

Both Shaq Thompson  and Kuechly were 1st round picks during McDermott time in Carolina. He went and got Edmunds in round 1 during his second draft. 

Milano has been more than a pleasant surprise but the LB position is not one where I've seen McDermott take nobodies or lesser known guys and turn them into all-stars because of scheme. Unlike DB where that is the norm for him. 

I think if Milano is re-signed it's a 4 year deal at most which would give you Edmunds on a rookie deal and the 5th year option for half the time Milano is making big change. If it is a three year extension then you really only have 1 year where both players are making a lot of money. If Milano is still playing at a high level and creating turnovers, I don't see an issue with having money tied into the LB room.

You cant go off of what Carolina did as Mcdermott as he was simply a DC and had little say when it came to drafting players. That was more on the GM and Rivera at the time. He was able to get ZO to transfer from a 3-4 OLB to a 4-3 SLB then he was able to plug in Preston Brown who accumulated a ton of tackles that year before he was a FA in which his play digressed on a new team so to me there is a factor of players on defense outperforming what they did from previous teams. Even if they pay milano a 4 year deal now for those 2 years LB will be locked in on high cap not to mention the cost of other players that are seeking massive deals too. If it was just Milano and they decided not to pay Tre and Dawkins then I can think of Milano being a good signing I just cant wrap my head around paying him over those 2 guys and we all know they will pay edmunds when the time comes. I am not saying they will get the same talent out of another guy at Milano's position but I am more comfortable filling that hole then I would be at CB1 or LT. To me there are just to many mouths to feed and positional importance Milano is the odd man out IMO. Keep in mind that same time Edmunds is getting a new deal Allen is too and that is 150+ mil by the way things are going these days. Not to mention Diggs likely seeking a new deal around that time too. 

Edited by soflbillsfan

2 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

You cant go off of what Carolina did as Mcdermott as he was simply a DC and had little say when it came to drafting players. That was more on the GM and Rivera at the time.

I mean that really is not true. The GM may have final say but the coaches get heavily involved who gets drafted and the board come the off-season. No way does Hurney or Gettelman draft Kuechley or Thompson or any player without talking to the coordinator about how they fit. 

2 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

He was able to get ZO to transfer from a 3-4 OLB to a 4-3 SLB then he was able to plug in Preston Brown who accumulated a ton of tackles that year before he was a FA in which his play digressed on a new team so to me there is a factor of players on defense outperforming what they did from previous teams.

That just Zo. He was an Ol when he entered the league and then a DT followed by a DE/OLB under Rex. That guy is a chameleon. Preston Brown was garbage before, during and after McDermott. His best overall season was under Rex. 

Tre White doesn't really fit into the discussion. He is going to be re-signed long-term regardless of anyone else contract or anything. The only reason White isn't a Buffalo Bills long-term is if he doesn't want to be. I agree about not wanting to replace LT as that is never easier. My point, which was my original post, is that LB is very important to McDermott defense (hence the draft picks in Carolina and Edmunds here). If they move on from Milano because they can't afford him, that's fine. But replacing him isn't an easy task and the defense could suffer.  

• 1 month later...

With the cap potentially being lowered next season this questions looms even larger.

Fortunately Tre White has recently said publicly that he doesn't mind waiting two more years for his deal. 

Dawkins/Milano, Tre White, Allen, Edmunds and possibly an extension for Diggs on the near horizon means Beane and his staff need to keep drafting well

On 8/1/2020 at 4:54 PM, Trentwannabe said:

With the cap potentially being lowered next season this questions looms even larger.

Fortunately Tre White has recently said publicly that he doesn't mind waiting two more years for his deal. 

Dawkins/Milano, Tre White, Allen, Edmunds and possibly an extension for Diggs on the near horizon means Beane and his staff need to keep drafting well

Well the good news is the bills have 3 solid years with Diggs to see if he is worth it. As for Allen that is another one we have to keep an eye on to see the next 2 years as well on whether he is the long term answer or not. I still have reservations about him and he needs to come in this year and next proving that he is capable of being the franchise qb and not someone who is borderline average with potential to be better but never show it. 

Milano to me with his position as I mentioned before just do not see it being a move worth keeping. I think maybe the franchise tag next offseason will lock him in for one more year so they have an extended period of time finding his replacement but paying him seems like someone they can pass on if they believe Dawkins is a top quality LT that he has shown 2 of the last 3 years he is capable of being. 

Tre I think they get a deal done next offseason.

Do not forget they currently have 20 mil in cap space that can be rolled over not to mention guys who could be cut next offseason or even this year in Murphy, Hughes, and Star as decent cap relief along with a few smaller ones so they can definitely afford to pay all the guys you mention but that means the depth will come at a hit financially and will count on rookies, like you said, and lower 1 year deals. Outside of Star's long term contract Beane has managed to make shorter deals to allow flexibility of moving on from guys if need be which I like. 

Do not forget we have guys like Brown, and hyde who have been key pieces coming up to be fa in 2022 so those would be also guys who would get a decent contract extension too if they so chose to. 

3 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

Well the good news is the bills have 3 solid years with Diggs to see if he is worth it. As for Allen that is another one we have to keep an eye on to see the next 2 years as well on whether he is the long term answer or not. I still have reservations about him and he needs to come in this year and next proving that he is capable of being the franchise qb and not someone who is borderline average with potential to be better but never show it. 

Milano to me with his position as I mentioned before just do not see it being a move worth keeping. I think maybe the franchise tag next offseason will lock him in for one more year so they have an extended period of time finding his replacement but paying him seems like someone they can pass on if they believe Dawkins is a top quality LT that he has shown 2 of the last 3 years he is capable of being. 

Tre I think they get a deal done next offseason.

Do not forget they currently have 20 mil in cap space that can be rolled over not to mention guys who could be cut next offseason or even this year in Murphy, Hughes, and Star as decent cap relief along with a few smaller ones so they can definitely afford to pay all the guys you mention but that means the depth will come at a hit financially and will count on rookies, like you said, and lower 1 year deals. Outside of Star's long term contract Beane has managed to make shorter deals to allow flexibility of moving on from guys if need be which I like. 

Do not forget we have guys like Brown, and hyde who have been key pieces coming up to be fa in 2022 so those would be also guys who would get a decent contract extension too if they so chose to. 

Agree 100% about Josh. That decision likely comes during his 5th year option season. 

I am starting to think Dawkins over Milano is a slam dunk but of course Dawkins will need to prove it this season. 

Depending on how Diggs plays I would imagine we extend him and throw some money up front at him. I’m not sure I see a Brown getting a new deal after these next two season. He’d be turning 33 that April and hopefully Gabe Davis is ready to step in full time by then. Hyde should get taken care of soon too.

On 8/7/2020 at 12:09 PM, Trentwannabe said:

Would be great if Milano took a real hometown discount. Depending on what website you look at his avg. per year goes anywhere from 8-13 million. 

I think anything more then 10 mil a year is to much, the cost isn't worth it with other players that are at a more important position. As much as I like milano and the attitude he brings its just not a spot to throw money to with other players needing new contracts.