Who is on the "hottest" of seats going into 2020?

MikeT14

Assuming we have football, which coaches are feeling the heat the most? Who could get the ax first?

Clay Helton is the easy answer, but their schedule may be somewhat easier. They can't get embarrassed by Alabama in the opening game if it changes. Who knows if that's true.

Chip Kelly has a big buyout. In the uncertainty of this year, that may stop that from happening. 

Will Muschamp seems to be teetering each season.

Any surprises you foresee?

Tom Herman should be getting a little warm.  This season will be big for him.  Year 4, entering the last year of his deal, the following season.  Another 7-8 win season, with what seems to be an unfavorable national persona, could be enough to push him out of the door.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

If he keeps losing to OSU he will be.

I mean, I want to agree but honestly, how much worse can it get? This isn't a question meant to gloat but they are just aren't even competing for the most part with him there. If it's not this year, I'm not sure what else they expect to happen. 

5 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

If Michigan fans want him fired enough to rally around it, eventually he's getting fired. 

The majority of Michigan fans do not want Harbaugh fired, myself included. He took over a program in terrible shape and has turned it into a perennial 10-win team that is putting a ton of players into the league. Yes, he hasn't beaten OSU, but people outside of Michigan get too hung up on that. Ohio State is a top-3 program in the entire country since before Harbaugh took over, expecting them to win is relatively foolish. Heck, before OSU had back-to-back 1st round QB's, Harbaugh had Michigan a bad spot and anyone other than John O'Korn playing QB away from winning two against them. The donors, administration, and most fans know that OSU has structural advantages in football that Harbaugh has no control over, and outside of those things changing it is always going to be a momentous challenge.

23 minutes ago, winitall said:

The majority of Michigan fans do not want Harbaugh fired, myself included. He took over a program in terrible shape and has turned it into a perennial 10-win team that is putting a ton of players into the league. Yes, he hasn't beaten OSU, but people outside of Michigan get too hung up on that. Ohio State is a top-3 program in the entire country since before Harbaugh took over, expecting them to win is relatively foolish. Heck, before OSU had back-to-back 1st round QB's, Harbaugh had Michigan a bad spot and anyone other than John O'Korn playing QB away from winning two against them. The donors, administration, and most fans know that OSU has structural advantages in football that Harbaugh has no control over, and outside of those things changing it is always going to be a momentous challenge.

I dunno man. I really think you're downplaying that game and what it means. If you're also ok with losing to every top program you play and racking up wins against unranked teams, that's fine. I'd personally expect more from a program like them and especially one that gets solid recruits like they do.

32 minutes ago, winitall said:

this is all great but in the two other biggest rivalries tom herman is 1-2 with two single score losses against a team that has made the playoffs every year he's been there and gus malzahn is 3-4 against bama. both of those guys are a 5 loss season away from taking a year off to spend time with family

harbaugh has lost by 29 more times than he's kept it close and people don't like head coaches who lose the second biggest game in college football 6 times in a row

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

I dunno man. I really think you're downplaying that game and what it means. If you're also ok with losing to every top program you play and racking up wins against unranked teams, that's fine. I'd personally expect more from a program like them and especially one that gets solid recruits like they do.

Michigan doesn't lose to every top program that they face. Excluding OSU, Michigan is 4-3 against ranked opponents during the regular season over the past 2 years. 2 of the 3 losses were against ranked teams on the road at night by a single score. The only team besides OSU to really kill Michigan over the last two years is Wisconsin last season. Michigan is in contention to be the second best B1G team every year, that's enough for most of the fan-base. They aren't going to become an annual threat to OSU and take the next big step unless the academic side is willing to make some sacrifices that OSU has and there is no indication that is going to happen *shrug*.

As far as @catcheryea's point about getting blown out by OSU, that's going to have to happen probably twice more for the fan-base to really turn on Harbaugh. If it happens this year, Don Brown is going to quietly be asked to consider his options. 

@JammerHammer21 Do you disagree with anything I've said in here?

I'll use Navy as an example even though they aren't quite the school that Michigan is.  Coach Ken is 98-60 and 6-5 in bowl games.  Here is how he fares against our three rivals, taking particular note of Notre Dame: 

2008: L ND 27-21, W Army and Air Force 
2009: W ND 23-21, W Army and Air Force 
2010: W ND35-17, L Air Force, W Army 
2011: L ND 56-14, L Air Force, W Army 
2012: L ND 50-10, W Air Force and Army 
2013: L ND 38-34, W Air Force and Army 
2014: L ND 49-39, L Air Force, W Army 
2015: L ND 41-24, W Air Force and Army 
2016: W ND 28-27, L Air Force and Army 
2017: L ND 24-17, W Air Force, L Army 
2018: :L ND 44-22, L Air Force and Army 
2019: L ND 52-20, W Army and Air Force 

So grand totals in 11 seasons: 

Notre Dame: 3-8 

Army: 8-3

Air Force- 7-4

Against our service academy brothers, we have a high winning percentage.  Against Notre Dame, who just about every year outclasses Navy, Coach Ken still has three victories over them.  Additionally, four of the losses are by 10 points or less.  Harbaugh had the 2OT loss in 2016 to Michigan, and that was the only 10 point or less showing (yes, we are splitting hairs with 2017 being by 11 points.). 

Anyway, my point of this comparison comes down to this- are Michigan fans happy with not beating your biggest rival, and are you happy with that meaning likely not being in the post-season?  As a Navy fan, we can beat our rivals, but there is also a ceiling as to how high this team is going to go.  Are you willing to put that ceiling on Michigan with Harbaugh at the helm for 8-10 wins a season?  Or can someone take what he's built and make more out of it?

11 hours ago, winitall said:

Michigan doesn't lose to every top program that they face. Excluding OSU, Michigan is 4-3 against ranked opponents during the regular season over the past 2 years. 2 of the 3 losses were against ranked teams on the road at night by a single score. The only team besides OSU to really kill Michigan over the last two years is Wisconsin last season. Michigan is in contention to be the second best B1G team every year, that's enough for most of the fan-base. They aren't going to become an annual threat to OSU and take the next big step unless the academic side is willing to make some sacrifices that OSU has and there is no indication that is going to happen *shrug*.

As far as @catcheryea's point about getting blown out by OSU, that's going to have to happen probably twice more for the fan-base to really turn on Harbaugh. If it happens this year, Don Brown is going to quietly be asked to consider his options. 

@JammerHammer21 Do you disagree with anything I've said in here?

Don't really disagree. Michigan has been in purgatory and worse very recently. It sucks that Harbaugh can't push them over the hump against at this point, but firing Harbaugh means telling every coaching candidate that if they can't beat OSU, they aren't going to last at Michigan, even if they are good at beating other teams. I look around CFB and ask: who the hell is doing that? Hiring PJ Fleck's gimmicky *** to coach this program that doesn't give outsiders a chance?

OSU has basically been on a planet only occupied by Alabama and Clemson. They have never been bad other than one year where they had an interim coach. They started way ahead of Michigan, and as much as Michigan has moved forward, OSU has moved forward even further from where they were. Michigan's baseline was dumpster fire, OSU's was top 5 program.

There will be a breaking point, but at this time, firing Harbaugh does not have a lot of upside and has a lot more downside. You need to hit the home run of all home runs to fire a coach whose biggest problem is that he can't beat a team of OSU's caliber.

If Michigan can't beat OSU this year and gets dunked on again, I would fire Don Brown waaaay before I would fire Harbaugh.

I don't think a lot of people realize how much of a mess Michigan was in before Harbaugh. Being stuck at "good, but not great" sucks, but Michigan has been way lower. And that sucks way more.

• Like 3