Most overrated individual seasons?

Elky

4 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

You miss understood everything I said about Manning he had weapons on offense but Julius Thomas was nothing before Manning and was nothing when he left Manning. He had back to back 12 TD years with Manning that's impressive.

As far as Brees I stand by what I said had he not gone too New Orleans there's no reason not to think he's not in the Mathew Stafford hemisphere of QBs. Yes Brees was a probowl qb with San Diego but I don't think he had the tragectory of a hall of famer.

Change of scenery can do wonders for players though look at Tannehill in Miami he was a Jag who was injured his last two years. He goes to Tennessee and is borderline a top 5 QB and a probowler went to the title game. His talent didn't change but his scenery did.

...What?

One of the main arguments for Brees is that, for as many thing as he HAS been given to benefit his play and numbers, he virtually NEVER has had an apex receiving threat, a true alpha. He briefly had Jimmy Graham, but that was a blip on the radar. He's consistently had a solid, deep group of decent-to-good reliable receivers, and that shouldn't be ignored, but he's never had a receiver at the level of Harrison, Wayne, OBJ, Gronk, Moss, A. Brown, Jordy Nelson, Antonio Gates, etc.

Now, before people start yelling at me: He has one NOW. Michael Thomas qualifies. But that's 3 years, and Brees had been putting comparable numbers up for a decade before that.

20 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Michael Thomas and his 3 yard slant season last year 

Oh my god totally.

That's not to say that it was a bad season. It was a great season, and he's a great receiver. But that season was overrated. His yard/rec is loooow, and while I value TD numbers less than most, they still mean something and only one per 16 receptions is a very subpar rate.

25 minutes ago, DannyB said:

Oh my god totally.

That's not to say that it was a bad season. It was a great season, and he's a great receiver. But that season was overrated. His yard/rec is loooow, and while I value TD numbers less than most, they still mean something and only one per 16 receptions is a very subpar rate.

I read that Michael Thomas had just 9 deep targets last year.

23 minutes ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

I read that Michael Thomas had just 9 deep targets last year.

Sounds about right.

And I know I'll get blowback, so I'm just going to say it again: Michael Thomas is a phenomenal receiver. I would do shameful things to have him on the Packers. But it's fair to say that, thus far, he's been more of a safe, possession-type receiver. Nothing inherently wrong with that. Cris Carter was in the same vein.

Last year Thomas's average air yards per attempt was 8.1. Only two receivers who went over 1,000 yards last year had the same or less (Cooper Kupp and Robert Woods).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DannyB said:

...What?

One of the main arguments for Brees is that, for as many thing as he HAS been given to benefit his play and numbers, he virtually NEVER has had an apex receiving threat, a true alpha. He briefly had Jimmy Graham, but that was a blip on the radar. He's consistently had a solid, deep group of decent-to-good reliable receivers, and that shouldn't be ignored, but he's never had a receiver at the level of Harrison, Wayne, OBJ, Gronk, Moss, A. Brown, Jordy Nelson, Antonio Gates, etc.

Now, before people start yelling at me: He has one NOW. Michael Thomas qualifies. But that's 3 years, and Brees had been putting comparable numbers up for a decade before that.

Antonio Gates played with Brees in SD from 2003 - 2005, named pro-bowl and All-Pro in 2004 and 2005 (Gates).

Edited by sp6488

5 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

Antonio Gates played with Brees in SD from 2003 - 2005, named pro-bowl and All-Pro in 2004 and 2005.

Yes, I knew that, and should have pointed it out. I meant an extended stretch, someone you identify closely with that QB, but yes it's absolutely fair to bring him up. And it furthers my point: Brees has put up numbers whether he has a top end weapon or not.

2 minutes ago, Tyty said:

Probably 2010 Aaron Rodgers randomly winning a super bowl and then never making it to a super bowl again 

lol. 

People have really lost touch on how hard even making 1 superbowl is. Thats not a reason to call him overrated. He is overrated because he is a stupid Packer. 

• Like 3

Just now, Matts4313 said:

lol. 

People have really lost touch on how hard even making 1 superbowl is. Thats not a reason to call him overrated. He is overrated because he is a stupid Packer. 

It's the Brady effect. People see Brady do it and assume ANYONE could do it.

8 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

lol. 

I’m just making a josh out of everyone. He’s statistically insane as a qb but that doesn’t make me hate him less

On 5/29/2020 at 10:23 PM, thebestever6 said:

You can't write off 5500 yards and 55 TDS to a pick play lol also 10 picks it was impressive.

It's rare QBs still improve in their 4th year usually they peak by year 3. I love Brees think he's awesome I just don't think he sniffs the hall of Fame had he stayed with San Diego or went to Miami.

You can say this about any player ever basically. Environment, scheme fit, and coaching all play such a massive role in players careers.

• Like 1