Mike Hilton

39 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Good article on ISC on the disguised coverage that was being used last year by the Steeler defense

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2020/6/2/21274693/masters-of-disguise-how-the-steelers-keep-offenses-guessing-by-masking-their-coverages-safety-corner

I really like what those guys over there are doing with their film breakdowns. That site has definitely stepped up its game. I remember when it was just hot take after hot take.

• Like 1

Hilton is a UFA at end of season...IDK what type of contract he’s looking at...AAV at $6mill per?

Sutton is a RFA at end of season...I’m guessing they’re going to have to make a choice.

7 hours ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

Sutton>Hilton

Yes and no. Sutton is a much better defender in the air, but Hilton is still very good against the run and being part of the pass rush. 

The question is really going to become how much do you like being versatile in the nickel vs closer to one dimensional? If Sutton can’t help set the edge against the run like Hilton, can we play as much nickel as we do? Ravens and Browns are going to be heavy 2TE sets - so looking at a division that will probably play big, do you want coverage over run stopping to be the be all end all? 

I think the biggest question as to who gets extended - Hilton or Sutton - comes down to Layne. Layne will be an outside defender, so with Layne as a positive, Sutton becomes less necessary as Nelson has inside/outside ability if needed in sub or because of injury. If Layne isn’t the guy, Sutton, to me, almost becomes mandatory with Haden towards the end of the journey.

Moral of the story, I don’t think Sutton vs Hilton long term is an easy equation, but if both could be had for $10-$15M (aka, Dupree) just take all my money.  

17 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Yes and no. Sutton is a much better defender in the air, but Hilton is still very good against the run and being part of the pass rush. 

The question is really going to become how much do you like being versatile in the nickel vs closer to one dimensional? If Sutton can’t help set the edge against the run like Hilton, can we play as much nickel as we do? Ravens and Browns are going to be heavy 2TE sets - so looking at a division that will probably play big, do you want coverage over run stopping to be the be all end all? 

I think the biggest question as to who gets extended - Hilton or Sutton - comes down to Layne. Layne will be an outside defender, so with Layne as a positive, Sutton becomes less necessary as Nelson has inside/outside ability if needed in sub or because of injury. If Layne isn’t the guy, Sutton, to me, almost becomes mandatory with Haden towards the end of the journey.

Moral of the story, I don’t think Sutton vs Hilton long term is an easy equation, but if both could be had for $10-$15M (aka, Dupree) just take all my money.  

I can see it to an extent...my guess is Laynes development this year will help determine what route they go even though I prefer Sutton.

Overall, my slot CB shouldn’t be the lynchpin of my run defense come December...I know Hilton is valuable in that role and in blitzing but I still want my slot DB biggest strength to be in coverage.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

I can see it to an extent...my guess is Laynes development this year will help determine what route they go even though I prefer Sutton.

Overall, my slot CB shouldn’t be the lynchpin of my run defense come December...I know Hilton is valuable in that role and in blitzing but I still want my slot DB biggest strength to be in coverage.

Yeah, this is pretty spot on with my belief as well. Hilton is fun during the regular season, but as soon offenses and coaches get better by the end of the year, they’ll scheme against glaring weaknesses like Hilton in coverage. 

• Like 1

On 6/3/2020 at 11:00 AM, AlanFanecaFan said:

I think it’s a bit more of a mixed bag and really depends on what you think December looks like. 

Ravens, Browns, Patriots, Bills, Tennessee, Indy - those are all run “heavy” (Or should be....idiot Browns), 12 personnel style teams that we are scheduled to play late season or would potentially play in the playoffs. Those teams don’t benefit from a guy who just covers. i firmly believe you match your team to your division, and that’s gonna be heavy 2 TE sets. Ultimately it would depend how much they WANT to play nickel  Vs base. But if you WANT to make nickel  your key defense, it’s gotta be Hilton against teams more apt to run or play big. 

i will say this is all a bit of assumption though, as we really haven’t seen Sutton take heavy nickel snaps to know if he can/can’t handle the running situations. 

On 6/2/2020 at 12:11 PM, AlanFanecaFan said:

Hilton is a UFA at end of season...IDK what type of contract he’s looking at...AAV at $6mill per?

Sutton is a RFA at end of season...I’m guessing they’re going to have to make a choice.

I don’t think they’d have to make a choice for next year. They should be able to re-sign Hilton & tender Sutton at his original round value - which is a 3rd ($2.13 million) - no one is going to sign Sutton away and give up a 3rd round pick for him. I’m not sure Hilton will play good enough to garner $6 mil avg per year on a contract, I think more like an avg of $3 or 4 mil per year. Now if he can then, they might have to let him walk.

One thing to consider though is the first year of any contract that is signed the cap hit is lower, so maybe his avg per year would be $5 or $6 mil, but his cap hit for next year will be $2 or 3 million.

Edited by turtle28

• 1 month later...

more of a blitzed from what I remember.  In this league, I would prioritize coverage skills and go from there.  It's also important to be able to actually catch the Int when it's there as well, something the team finally has happening for the first time in a few decades is a decent Int count.