Hue's Playcalling

Reginaldm9

11 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Kessler doesn't turn the ball over and Kizer does. I know Kessler has a weak arm and isn't likely anyone's future starting QB and that Kizer has a pro arm and could potentially be the guy. I understand starting Kizer, I don't think he is currently a better QB than Kessler but he has the tools to be and he has the tools to do what Hue wants in the offense. So far he has been bad with glimpses. If it comes to the point where he is losing us games he should be benched for a better option if there is one. It doesn't have to be permanent but right now he is last by a good margin in completion percentage and rating. I watch the games too and see the good throws and I see the terribly inaccurate throws. You better have at least 90% good throws and right now he isn't even close to that and unless we see some improvement we need to try something else because we can only give so much time to starting a 21 year old QB who is failing as often as Kizer is. I don't even care if he scores (I really do) I just need to see those 7 terrible throws per game drop down to one or two otherwise even if we do start competing they will lose us games. It's a passing league and QBs are set up to succeed, I want to see some succeeding from him.

I do think Kizer gives us a better opportunity to win.  He's better than anything we have, yeah not saying much unfortunately. I admit I was somewhat looking forward to watching Kessler this year.  Was hoping he would solidify our back up QB for years to come.  He's regressed.  He couldn't move the ball at all in pre-season. Kizer could he won the job.  Hogan could he won the back-up job. Oslater was garbage, he's off the team.  Kessler couldn't, he's the emergence guy.

I don't think there's any way you can bench Kizer now.  He's showing improvement, albeit small but it is improvement.

i know its not football but i am a jiujitsu practitioner.  for those who dont know, basically when you start at jiujitsu you suck at literally everything (unless you were a judoka or an NCAA wrestler and then you suck slightly less).  every day you do one thing slightly better.  a year to a year and a half later you suck slightly less and then you can finally take on an unskilled opponent REGULARLY without any doubt.  its hard work.  whats crazy though is that you're only 1 PERSON! an offense is 11 people (sorry to state the obvious).  Seth Devalve has to make his mistakes.  Rashard Higgins has to make his mistakes.  Deshone Kizer has to make his mistakes.  They have to mesh.  Timing issues have to be corrected by continual repetition.  each week we see slightly less and less mistakes (less procedural penalties) but different mistakes show up because people have to make their mistakes (seth devalve, higgins OPIs).  Unfortunately these mistakes are costly.  they are less costly to more veteran teams because they happen LESS due to them having accumulated experience (again, obvious i know).

back to jiujitsu- one day you fix a mistake and its an a ha moment, and your game gets taken to the next level.  Unfortunately we have to do that for like 7 starters (discounting the 4 vets on our offensive line).  it will take TIME.  some guys are right.  kizer wasn't put in the best position.  "set up for failure" is what bruce and ditch said.  sure.  failure at first.  if we have the stones (or if haslam) has the stones to see it through, you'll see more of the Andy Dalton/Bengals/1 dumb burfict play away from the AFCCG Hue Jackson offense as we continue to add pieces.. namely a RB and a bunch of WRs.  Good thing we have 5 picks in the first 2 rounds next year... Saquon barkley here we commmmeeeeeee (maybe).

Oh, and look who is improving ever so slightly (actually i dont think it was slightly. i think he had a really good 2nd half of the game and being put in a lot of 3rd and longs due to drops, OPIs and the snow-bally nature of being down 28-0 and not being able to keep your defense off the field didn't make it any easier for him)

http://www.espn.com/blog/cleveland-browns/post/_/id/23451/joe-thomas-deshone-kizer-had-his-best-game-in-loss-to-colts

7 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

This topic would be a lot more interesting if we had any skill players who could threaten an opponent. We have zip on offense guys and until we get some talent on that side of the ball, all the play calling in the world isn't going to save our bacon.

Hue has nothing to work with??? If we win a game this year and it will not be easy, it will be against a tougher opponent who thinks they will win the game by just showing up and will put no real emotion into trying for a victory. That is the only way we can get a win or 2 this season and I am OK with it, because we need all the higher picks we can get by finishing with the worst record again.

The blame for this mess lies at the feet of our owner, it all starts with a solid owner, who in turn can recognize FO talent, FO talent who can spot a great HC, FO talent who can hire solid talented scouts who are skilled appraisers of prospects. Until all that is in place, we are doomed to be a bottom feeder until we see real change.

We traded Julio Jones to Atlanta and Wentz to Philly, but unless our GM and scouts are top notch, it always will produce absolutely nothing.

Is our owner solid????? Is our FO solid????? Is our scouting department solid????? Does anybody know for sure, because I don't. How does it go "show me the meat"?????:/

cant be sure about the pot roast until it comes out of the oven.  cant be sure about a draft class until they PLAY and get better.  so no, I can't tell you if our FO is solid or not.  i DO know however that changing FO's every 2 years is a terrible idea because year 1 of the new regime is a pretty bad draft class.  think about it- you come in with a shortened offseason, have to hire new people, have less time to prepare (namely not the entire full year) so you have to rely on scouts you dont trust.  so lets give this one a shot.  our Head coach wasnt picked by our owner.  he was agreed upon by our owner after a head hunter found him (and the entire populace agreed that he was likely the hottest of the hot head coaching candidates that year).  so lets give that guy a chance, IMO.

Hue's playcalling is doing Kizer no favors. Forcing the ball to these wide outs is not a good idea. Crow needs to get his stuff together or else I say we draft the kid from PSU. In fact I might say draft the kid from PSU regardless. A run game is a rookie QBs best friend. The coverage moves from double to single and it usually gets a TE open.

That is all

mastercheddaar

1 minute ago, Mastercheddaar said:

Hue's playcalling is doing Kizer no favors. Forcing the ball to these wide outs is not a good idea. Crow needs to get his stuff together or else I say we draft the kid from PSU. In fact I might say draft the kid from PSU regardless. A run game is a rookie QBs best friend. The coverage moves from double to single and it usually gets a TE open.

That is all

mastercheddaar

crow is getting us 1-2 yards on 1st and 2nd, putting us in 3rd and longs.  you cant do this for very long.  our defense has shown that it can stop the other team for about maybe 3 drives before it needs a significant rest.  so you need to score/get up/get even in those first three or so drives.  other defense knows we have a rookie at qb so we're going to WANT to run.  hence the 1 and 2 yards.  its a literal chicken and egg situation, but in this case its pretty obvious if you use some critical thought that what has to come first is that kizer HAS TO MAKE PEOPLE PAY WITH THE LONG BALL/INTERMEDIATE GAME somewhat regularly to open up the run game.  other wise it will be 3 & 8 for days.  to bring it full circle, this is why Kessler isn't the answer! if you get 7 on 3rd and 8 at your own 25, you're gonna PUNT!

that being said what I DONT get about the play calling is why we arent running with deshone more.  jacoby made plays with his feet and it killed us.  ben makes plays with his feet and it kills us.  cam newton took a bad team to a good team on his literal shoulders.  we finally get a big and strong guy who can slide and we don't run?  those option plays work with him! it opens up the run game albeit in creative and non traditional ways but a first down is a first down! 

i also get that sometimes you gotta take a step back for the long term goal.  back to jiujitsu: i was an ex wrestler so i hated playing off my back.  i know my guard sucked.  but i also know i'd never get good at jiujitsu unless i got more well rounded so i forced myself to play off my back.  maybe we're forcing deshone to not run and get better at throwing/timing so going forward we dont have to deal with the struggles.  

*Shrug*

1 hour ago, Mastercheddaar said:

That is all

mastercheddaar

I think its a rookie QBs best friend when you are trying to win with a rookie QB. With a rookie QB, you dont want them throwing the ball as much  because they will make mistakes and those mistakes will cost you games. 

To me I dont think we have truly seen the best from Hue. I feel like a lot of last season and this season has FO written all over it. I could see the FO telling Hue that they need to find out of if Kizer can truly play in the NFL. If you look outside of his stats and what happens on Sundays, a lot of reports come out that Kizer looks like the real deal. Looks like a franchise QB in practice, in the looker room, and in the classroom. When it comes to Sunday, he tends to struggle because of the team behind him. I think Hue is throwing it around the yard with Kizer because they want to get a feel about his arm and his ability going into this draft class. 

37 minutes ago, mistakey said:

look without your conspiracy glasses on
kessler got demoted to 3rd
do you really think hogan is better than kizer?  he made just as atrocious of a mistake that caused a 14 pt swing in that BAL game...

Don't think it's a question of whether Hogan is better.

It's whether he gives us a better chance to win now.

Ya, he threw a bad pick.

But he also moved the ball and put points on the board.

6 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Don't think it's a question of whether Hogan is better.

It's whether he gives us a better chance to win now.

Ya, he threw a bad pick.

But he also moved the ball and put points on the board.

and Kizer moved the ball and put 28 points on the board last week, whats your point, other than trying to seem smarter than the coaching staff?

Archived