Hue's Playcalling

Reginaldm9

7 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Kizer could check down more but his head coach doesn't seem to like that. Kessler had a higher TD% last year than Kizer has at the moment and the INT% (6.5 vs. 1.0) isn't even close. Kessler completed about 2/3 of his passes and Kizer is around 1/2. Kessler had averaged 7.1 yards per pass attempt and Kizer is at 6.0. 92.3 rating for Kessler last year and 53.2 for Kizer this year. Both were rookies. Both had similar targets. Kizer has a better line. Yet Kizer is firmly entrenches as the starter and Kessler never was and has been inactive most games this year. My advice to Kizer is to keep throwing for the moon.

kessler completed about 2/3 of his passes for 7 yards when he needed 8 or when it was in garbage time.  

37 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Kizer could check down more but his head coach doesn't seem to like that. Kessler had a higher TD% last year than Kizer has at the moment and the INT% (6.5 vs. 1.0) isn't even close. Kessler completed about 2/3 of his passes and Kizer is around 1/2. Kessler had averaged 7.1 yards per pass attempt and Kizer is at 6.0. 92.3 rating for Kessler last year and 53.2 for Kizer this year. Both were rookies. Both had similar targets. Kizer has a better line. Yet Kizer is firmly entrenches as the starter and Kessler never was and has been inactive most games this year. My advice to Kizer is to keep throwing for the moon.

And yet Kizer has accounted for only 1 less TD that Kessler did in 1/3 of the games.

Kessler didn't check down, he only threw short to intermediate passes. It became painfully obvious he wasn't going to challenge a defense vertically.

IMO the most important thing for a young qb to show is the abilty to make plays, put points on the board.  A player can clean up the errors that lead to picks, learn to read defenses more efficiently, etc., but if a guy can't make a play it's not a good sign. Kessler couldn't put points on the board, Kizer can.

Kizer has a lot of work to do, no doubt, but at least there's something to work WITH.  I'm not sure the same can be said for Kessler.

4 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Do you honestly believe this stuff? :)

4 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

And yet Kizer has accounted for only 1 less TD that Kessler did in 1/3 of the games.

Kessler didn't check down, he only threw short to intermediate passes. It became painfully obvious he wasn't going to challenge a defense vertically.

IMO the most important thing for a young qb to show is the abilty to make plays, put points on the board.  A player can clean up the errors that lead to picks, learn to read defenses more efficiently, etc., but if a guy can't make a play it's not a good sign. Kessler couldn't put points on the board, Kizer can.

Kizer has a lot of work to do, no doubt, but at least there's something to work WITH.  I'm not sure the same can be said for Kessler.

195 pass attempts to 108 pass attempts so it isn't like he has a third of his attempts. Also almost as many scores and 3 times as many turnovers isn't really that huge of a compliment. We need a middle ground between the two. Someone who can convert a fairly high percentage of passes and also occasionally attack down the field. You can't consistently go down the field unless you have Drew Brees' accuracy and not many do. Kizer certainly hasn't shown that yet.

17 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

Stats are an accumulation of production minus the oddities. If one QB completes 15% more of his passes than the other then he is either more accurate or the other guy is attempting too many low percentage passes. If one guy throws an interception for every hundred passes and the other throws one for every 15 pass attempts then either one guy is more accurate or the other guy is making too many low percentage passes. Something needs fixed whether it is the QB or the coaching. We know we don't have great wideouts so use other avenues. We didn't have great wideouts last year either. If Kenny Britt averages 4 yards per target start targeting someone else. I don't care what needs fixed I just want it fixed.

13 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Stats are an accumulation of production minus the oddities. If one QB completes 15% more of his passes than the other then he is either more accurate or the other guy is attempting too many low percentage passes. If one guy throws an interception for every hundred passes and the other throws one for every 15 pass attempts then either one guy is more accurate or the other guy is making too many low percentage passes. Something needs fixed whether it is the QB or the coaching. We know we don't have great wideouts so use other avenues. We didn't have great wideouts last year either. If Kenny Britt averages 4 yards per target start targeting someone else. I don't care what needs fixed I just want it fixed.

Look stats are awesome when you are dealing with the masses. Stats are garbage when you are dealing with individuals. You can have 2 QBs that have identical stats and one sucks the other great. You have to see for your own self when it comes to football and stats. Kessler statistically is a nice QB. Reality? He's third string and inactive. He doesn't score and Kizer does. Lets let Kizer learn on the job and see what we have at the end of the year :)

16 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

Look stats are awesome when you are dealing with the masses. Stats are garbage when you are dealing with individuals. You can have 2 QBs that have identical stats and one sucks the other great. You have to see for your own self when it comes to football and stats. Kessler statistically is a nice QB. Reality? He's third string and inactive. He doesn't score and Kizer does. Lets let Kizer learn on the job and see what we have at the end of the year :)

Kessler doesn't turn the ball over and Kizer does. I know Kessler has a weak arm and isn't likely anyone's future starting QB and that Kizer has a pro arm and could potentially be the guy. I understand starting Kizer, I don't think he is currently a better QB than Kessler but he has the tools to be and he has the tools to do what Hue wants in the offense. So far he has been bad with glimpses. If it comes to the point where he is losing us games he should be benched for a better option if there is one. It doesn't have to be permanent but right now he is last by a good margin in completion percentage and rating. I watch the games too and see the good throws and I see the terribly inaccurate throws. You better have at least 90% good throws and right now he isn't even close to that and unless we see some improvement we need to try something else because we can only give so much time to starting a 21 year old QB who is failing as often as Kizer is. I don't even care if he scores (I really do) I just need to see those 7 terrible throws per game drop down to one or two otherwise even if we do start competing they will lose us games. It's a passing league and QBs are set up to succeed, I want to see some succeeding from him.

13 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Kessler doesn't turn the ball over and Kizer does. I know Kessler has a weak arm and isn't likely anyone's future starting QB and that Kizer has a pro arm and could potentially be the guy. I understand starting Kizer, I don't think he is currently a better QB than Kessler but he has the tools to be and he has the tools to do what Hue wants in the offense. So far he has been bad with glimpses. If it comes to the point where he is losing us games he should be benched for a better option if there is one. It doesn't have to be permanent but right now he is last by a good margin in completion percentage and rating. I watch the games too and see the good throws and I see the terribly inaccurate throws. You better have at least 90% good throws and right now he isn't even close to that and unless we see some improvement we need to try something else because we can only give so much time to starting a 21 year old QB who is failing as often as Kizer is. I don't even care if he scores (I really do) I just need to see those 7 terrible throws per game drop down to one or two otherwise even if we do start competing they will lose us games. It's a passing league and QBs are set up to succeed, I want to see some succeeding from him.

This is my feeling as well, but, I honestly feel that a big part of that is on play calling. I know someone else mentioned that Kizer can make the calls at the line, but, I don't think he has as much freedom as we might believe. I'd love to see more short throws and getting our RBs involved more; at this point teams should know he can make the deep throws and have to respect it, but, it seems he is constantly trying to make the 10+ yards toss which is terrible with our receiving corps. We need creative play calling to help relieve pressure off him as well as getting him into a rhythm.

I expect plenty of rookie mistakes, but, I feel if we continue at this rate, it's going to do more harm then good as the turnover rate is ridiculous. It's  not like our line is terrible, he is just holding the ball too long trying to wait for someone to beat their defender, which again is not a great plan with our current receivers seeming to have stone hands.

This topic would be a lot more interesting if we had any skill players who could threaten an opponent. We have zip on offense guys and until we get some talent on that side of the ball, all the play calling in the world isn't going to save our bacon.

Hue has nothing to work with??? If we win a game this year and it will not be easy, it will be against a tougher opponent who thinks they will win the game by just showing up and will put no real emotion into trying for a victory. That is the only way we can get a win or 2 this season and I am OK with it, because we need all the higher picks we can get by finishing with the worst record again.

The blame for this mess lies at the feet of our owner, it all starts with a solid owner, who in turn can recognize FO talent, FO talent who can spot a great HC, FO talent who can hire solid talented scouts who are skilled appraisers of prospects. Until all that is in place, we are doomed to be a bottom feeder until we see real change.

We traded Julio Jones to Atlanta and Wentz to Philly, but unless our GM and scouts are top notch, it always will produce absolutely nothing.

Is our owner solid????? Is our FO solid????? Is our scouting department solid????? Does anybody know for sure, because I don't. How does it go "show me the meat"?????:/

12 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

If he completed 2/3 of his passes in garbage time that means he completed 2/3 of his passes when it wasn't garbage time.

completing 2/3 of your passes on the way to 3 and outs when it matters and getting down by 3 scores doesnt really matter.  didn't we learn anything from colt mccoy?

Archived