Hue's Playcalling

Reginaldm9

2 hours ago, dawgdish said:

The offensive play calling has been fine this year, aside from the decision to go for the 4th instead of kicking the FG in the Jets game. The execution (particularly by the QBs and WRs) is the issue

The playcalling has been more than bad.

Hue gets cute way too much and doesnt put his young players in position to succeed. How hard is it to design a gameplan for your 21 year old QB to make simple quick reads. Go count how many plays where all 3 WRs run 15+ yard routes every play. Its terrible. Where are simple quick hitters at that a young WR and QB can easily execute? How many 5 yard slants or curls do you see the Browns running compared to making Kizer chuck the ball 10+ yards every single snap. Its horrible.

Hue has been 50% of the reason the Browns look as bad as they do. He is running a 'expert' level offense with the youngest team in the NFL and they are wondering why our unpolished WRs and QB cant move the ball. Its honestly embarrassing.

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

Hue gets cute way too much and doesnt put his young players in position to succeed. How hard is it to design a gameplan for your 21 year old QB to make simple quick reads. Go count how many plays where all 3 WRs run 15+ yard routes every play. Its terrible. Where are simple quick hitters at that a young WR and QB can easily execute? How many 5 yard slants or curls do you see the Browns running compared to making Kizer chuck the ball 10+ yards every single snap. Its horrible.

Hue has been 50% of the reason the Browns look as bad as they do. He is running a 'expert' level offense with the youngest team in the NFL and they are wondering why our unpolished WRs and QB cant move the ball. Its honestly embarrassing.

The massive shifting kills me. I don't really see other teams doing that stuff. It reminds me of crap that Mangini would try to pull on Sundays. Aside from those, and the other quirky calls, I don't mind when we run the "standard" sets, the problem is Kizer isn't seeing the football field. There's a reason Hogan went 16-19 after halftime. Kizer misses so many open guys, and it's not because he's scrambling the opposite direction all the time either, he just has tunnel vision right now. 

1 hour ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

The massive shifting kills me. I don't really see other teams doing that stuff. It reminds me of crap that Mangini would try to pull on Sundays. Aside from those, and the other quirky calls, I don't mind when we run the "standard" sets, the problem is Kizer isn't seeing the football field. There's a reason Hogan went 16-19 after halftime. Kizer misses so many open guys, and it's not because he's scrambling the opposite direction all the time either, he just has tunnel vision right now. 

He has always had tunnel vision. I believe it is easily his worst attribute and ultimately his fatal flaw. He has not been able to improve on it since High School. He has never once shown one single reason to believe he will ever improve on his vision. The pick was a classic case of a coach thinking a little too highly of his ability to fix flaws.

2 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Look at the 3rd and 3 play from the 5 where Kizer threw the INT.

WR and TE (the only 2 options), 5 yards apart at best, run quick outs on the short side of the field against a 7 man drop.

Worst call of the day IMO, and there were some bad ones.

4 hours ago, ditchdigger said:

Look at the 3rd and 3 play from the 5 where Kizer threw the INT.

WR and TE (the only 2 options), 5 yards apart at best, run quick outs on the short side of the field against a 7 man drop.

Worst call of the day IMO, and there were some bad ones.

And Kizer should have seen they dropped 7 and thrown it away.

This isn't rocket science.  

I'm not blaming Hue because Kizer didn't read the defense.

7 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

he does.  kizer apparently cant do it.  two cases in point - 1st one was in the flat to crowell in red zone before first fumble.  not only was it late, but it was high.  2nd one was down in the redzone again.  it was a 3 yard hitch to i think it was louis.  it was late.  barber even commented on how late it was.  he was late on his red zone slant for an INT a couple weeks back.  

now when hogan gets in, the same playbook looks entirely different.  its fast.  

15 minutes ago, mistakey said:

he does.  kizer apparently cant do it.  two cases in point - 1st one was in the flat to crowell in red zone before first fumble.  not only was it late, but it was high.  2nd one was down in the redzone again.  it was a 3 yard hitch to i think it was louis.  it was late.  barber even commented on how late it was.  he was late on his red zone slant for an INT a couple weeks back.  

now when hogan gets in, the same playbook looks entirely different.  its fast.  

Nah brah, Hue calls a different game and saves the best plays for Hogan.

11 hours ago, dawgdish said:

The offensive play calling has been fine this year, aside from the decision to go for the 4th instead of kicking the FG in the Jets game. The execution (particularly by the QBs and WRs) is the issue

Facts, just think about where we would be If we didn't have so many penalties and dropped passes, that's personnel.

8 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

You do know that they run those deep routes to combat teams packing the box to stop our run game right? You do know that the Cardinals run a similar offense with a deep-downfield passing game with Arians and so does Philadelphia, you do know that we tried that dink and dunk passing game last year, do you remember what happened? You do know that down the field passing attacks don't have a high passing percentage?

Do you realize that we are running finally running Hue's offense, we couldn't do it last year for obvious reasons. I'd rather go through the growing pains now and get better later than revert to a dink and dunk offense, do you realize that when we get good throwing down field, teams will have to start keeping safeties back which will help our run game? Not having a legit deep threat like Coleman hurt us so much, which is why we are trying to get Treggs going, teams need to have a reason to keep a safety deep.

I am by no means a Hue apologist, but I understand what he's trying to accomplish, and the circumstances he has in front of him

8 minutes ago, ditchdigger said:

But you let him off the hook for a moronic goalline playcall?

Got it.

What's the better play?

Are we asking a kid who's already having issues getting rid of the ball quickly make a 3-4 receiver progression read from one side of the field to the other? 

If Hue calls that you'll complain (a reoccurring theme) the playbook is too complex and he needs to dumb it down.

He gave him a half field, two read play with both options in the same field of view to limit the opportunity for a bad decision and a turnover, but the qb managed to force a ball a high school kid should know to throw away and your complaint is the playcalling????

I'll ask again, what's the correct play according to ditchdigger?

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

What's the better play?

Are we asking a kid who's already having issues getting rid of the ball quickly make a 3-4 receiver progression read from one side of the field to the other? 

If Hue calls that you'll complain (a reoccurring theme) the playbook is too complex and he needs to dumb it down.

He gave him a half field, two read play with both options in the same field of view to limit the opportunity for a bad decision and a turnover, but the qb managed to force a ball a high school kid should know to throw away and your complaint is the playcalling????

I'll ask again, what's the correct play according to ditchdigger?

One that has more than two options located pretty much in the same location, one of which - I don't know -  maybe is in the end zone?  Is it too much to ask to have one or more options beyond 2 yards on a 3rd and 3 from the 5?

It's a compressed field already, and the playcall compressed it even more into an area of about 10 square feet that the defense needs to cover.  Dumb.

Yes, he should have thrown it away.  But damn if that wasn't a monumentally idiotic call for the situation.

1 hour ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Facts, just think about where we would be If we didn't have so many penalties and dropped passes, that's personnel.

You do know that they run those deep routes to combat teams packing the box to stop our run game right? You do know that the Cardinals run a similar offense with a deep-downfield passing game with Arians and so does Philadelphia, you do know that we tried that dink and dunk passing game last year, do you remember what happened? You do know that down the field passing attacks don't have a high passing percentage?

Do you realize that we are running finally running Hue's offense, we couldn't do it last year for obvious reasons. I'd rather go through the growing pains now and get better later than revert to a dink and dunk offense, do you realize that when we get good throwing down field, teams will have to start keeping safeties back which will help our run game? Not having a legit deep threat like Coleman hurt us so much, which is why we are trying to get Treggs going, teams need to have a reason to keep a safety deep.

I am by no means a Hue apologist, but I understand what he's trying to accomplish, and the circumstances he has in front of him

Neither of those offenses have a 21 year old rookie though.  Or #1 WR options signed from another team's practice squad 4 days earlier.

You may understand the circumstances, but it doesn't seem as though Hue does.  He is refusing to tailor the offense to the players he has.

Carson Palmer and Larry Fitzgerald aren't suiting up in brown and orange.  Ever.

8 minutes ago, ditchdigger said:

One that has more than two options located pretty much in the same location, one of which - I don't know -  maybe is in the end zone?  Is it too much to ask to have one or more options beyond 2 yards on a 3rd and 3 from the 5?

It's a compressed field already, and the playcall compressed it even more into an area of about 10 square feet that the defense needs to cover.  Dumb.

Yes, he should have thrown it away.  But damn if that wasn't a monumentally idiotic call for the situation.

They are close together because it forces the defender (in a zone coverage) to pick one player to cover closely.

If it's man, you hope DeValve beats the LB.

That play works well unless the defense drops 6-7 in coverage, which they did. Good call by the defense. 

If they blitz and/or leave LB's and corners 1:1, that's likely a TD.  

Again, Kizer needs to read both options quickly, go to plan B (scramble for a score if able) or lastly just throw it away.

The play was fine.

Archived