Week 4 Oakland Raiders (2-1) @ Denver Broncos (2-1) GDT

BayRaider

092617-game-preview-cp.jpg

After last week, we need a strong rebound week. Which will NOT be easy in Denver who are a solid football team. I think we are collectively a better team than Denver and will finish the season with at least two games on them, but this game is a true 50/50 one right here. I have a feeling it's going to be ugly, low scoring, and whoever dominates the LoS is going to take home the victory.

Keys to Victory:

- Get pressure on Siemien, Mack and Irvin must make an impact.

- Offensive Line must win in the trenches like they did last year.

- Play mistake free football. This is going to be a tough physical football game in a hostile environment. We won't win this game if we are on the wrong side of the turnover differential.

- Win the battle of field position with Marquette King and Cordarrelle Patterson. I feel like this is gonna be a very close low scoring game where field position is going to play a huge factor.

- Hold CJ Anderson and Jaamal Charles under 110 combined yards rushing, a reasonable amount IMO.

In my pre season predictions I have us going 11-5 with this being a loss (@Washington, @Denver, Los Angeles, @Kansas City, @Philadelphia). However, this is a very winnable game and whoever wins in the trenches, wins the turnover battle, and has the better coaching will win. 

Let's go Raiders!!!! And good luck to Denver, a worthy adversary!

59 minutes ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

Is Menelik Watson starting at RT still? If so that's a huge plus for us. And their LT is the rookie Bolles right? Pressure is a must. If we can get it with the front four that would let us drop a few more into coverage on obvious passing downs which we need to force them into. 

Yup, Watson has continued our turnstile right tackle tradition. I don't think he's quite as bad as Schofield or Sambrailo were because he at least has the strength to move guys in the running game but he's going to be a liability vs. speed rushers all season. I think the Raiders would have more collective success rushing Mack against Bolles and Irvin against Watson. Bolles handled Jerry Hughes last week and could probably handle Irvin. They obviously won't let Mack see more than a few one-on-one situations no matter what but especially vs. Watson. Irvin has the speed to simply beat Watson to the edge or set him up and get through with an inside spin and chase Siemian into Mack clean ups all game. 

Attacking our slow-footed left guard Max Garcia will be another effective way to create pressure. Right now Garcia and Allen Barbre rotate every drive at LG even though Barbre is clearly the better player. Overall our offensive line is an improvement from 2015-16, but pass pro is still leaky and Siemian's movement in the pocket really unravels when met with pressure.

Should be a great game. My expectation and fear is Oakland's offensive game plan heavily incorporating some of their complementary fast guys like Jalen Richard and Cordarrelle Patterson, getting them into space against our linebackers and young safeties. 

3 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Yup, Watson has continued our turnstile right tackle tradition. I don't think he's quite as bad as Schofield or Sambrailo were because he at least has the strength to move guys in the running game but he's going to be a liability vs. speed rushers all season. I think the Raiders would have more collective success rushing Mack against Bolles and Irvin against Watson. Bolles handled Jerry Hughes last week and could probably handle Irvin. They obviously won't let Mack see more than a few one-on-one situations no matter what but especially vs. Watson. Irvin has the speed to simply beat Watson to the edge or set him up and get through with an inside spin and chase Siemian into Mack clean ups all game. 

Attacking our slow-footed left guard Max Garcia will be another effective way to create pressure. Right now Garcia and Allen Barbre rotate every drive at LG even though Barbre is clearly the better player. Overall our offensive line is an improvement from 2015-16, but pass pro is still leaky and Siemian's movement in the pocket really unravels when met with pressure.

Should be a great game. My expectation and fear is Oakland's offensive game plan heavily incorporating some of their complementary fast guys like Jalen Richard and Cordarrelle Patterson, getting them into space against our linebackers and young safeties. 

Bolles played ? Wow what is he superman ?thought he had the High Ankle sprain 

Time to see what this team is made of. Both teams badly need this win to keep pace with KC.

We beat the Broncos last year running the ball down their throats. Their run defense looks much improved this year, but I still believe thats our best bet of having success against their defense. Marshawn needs 20 carries at least imo. He doesn't need to have a huge game, but we need to show a real commitment to running the ball. Let beastmode get stronger as the game goes on. Carr needs to have a bounce back game and be smart with the football.  He is going to get pressured so him keeping his cool will be key. If he can play as good as Tyrod Taylor did last week against them, ill take that. Good spot to evaluate Todd Downing. He needs to call a good game. Jared Cook needs to have a good game. He is probably our only advantage vs their defense in the passing game.

Defense needs to play well. We can't let this team, with that defense, get far out in front of us. They will move the ball, but our redzone defense has been pretty solid so limiting them to FGs will be key. Trevor Simian has gotten better this year. He still makes a couple "WTF" throws per game though, and we need to capitalize on those when he does. Can Bruce Irvin make a play? Dude has been invisible this year sans a few dumb body slams. Our run defense has looked solid this year but stopping CJ anderson and JC will be a task. They have looked good running the ball this year.

Special teams will be huge as always in Denver. Giorgio has been a revelation so far so im not worried. Marquette King can dance all he wants if he wins us the field position battle lol

6 hours ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

#NFLboycott

xD

Positive face back on - I think we'll be much more up for this game than we were on SNF in terms of preparation and motivation. I'd much rather our wake-up call came by the Skins giving us a beating than one from the Broncos. I mean, obviously I'd rather we didn't need a wake-up call at all, but of these two road games, at least we had our stinker in the non-divisional game.

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Roberts needs to step up. He's a non factor in the pass game right now. Yes he's a good blocker, but he's a RECEIVER.

Cook will be vital this week with Harris/Talib.

Cooper gave Talib the business last year and McGloin missed him on that long TD. If we want to win he needs to step up.

If Crabtree is going to be out, Cooper will get plenty of targets so he will have to be engaged all 4 quarters.

How great would it be for Coop to have a stud game against that defense, silencing all his critics who have came after him this week.

D-line needs to step up in this game. Broncos o-line is very average with Garcia and Watson being matchups we need to exploit.

If Crabs sits we need to Patterson to step up outside. We're going up against a physical secondary but if we can beat presses, we'll have alot of speed in 3 wide looks. But I hope Crabs plays.

Secondary play is my big concern. We have no one to matchup with Thomas (don't say Sean Smith. He's been terrible) and Sanders is too savvy for Amerson. KoJo and Reggie are gonna have to play excellent if we struggle to get pressure. We got torched by Thompson last week as well and we're gonna have to watch out for 2 good receiving backs in Charles and Anderson. 

Hopefully our coordinators have also used the week to reflect on their atrocious playcalling last week.

I'm not gonna make a prediction it'll be very, very close imo. Possibly down to the last possession.

And for the love of all that is holy, do something Bruce Irvin. You're supposed to be the 2nd best player on this defense...

Archived