Clemson WR Justyn Ross to miss 2020 season

RaidersAreOne

On 6/5/2020 at 4:42 PM, Thelonebillsfan said:

Yet another reason it's idiotic these guys don't get paid.

He just lost tens of millions of dollars, he could have at least made a little bit of that while playing with Clemson.

What about HS seniors who suffer potential career-ending injuries? Then let's take it further down to middle schoolers?

• Like 3

🙁
On 6/2/2020 at 9:05 AM, ronjon1990 said:

Ouch. That's really unfortunate. I always hate hearing about guys who have something pop up in college or Combine testing that can change their course that much at such a young age. It's easy to armchair QB and say "student athletes should have a backup plan" (and yeah, they should) but that doesn't take away the hard work they put in to get where they are, especially guys who, even with a down season, are staring at a guaranteed draft pick. Work is work, and to see it possibly be for naught is just awful. 

Silver lining is that, given it's a neck/vertebrae issue, they found it now instead of later. I imagine it's the type of thing that could land someone in a wheelchair with a bad hit or fall. So at the very least, there's that. Shame though, I was looking forward to watching him this year.

I might be in the minority with this opinion, but I actually don't have a problem with a talented young guy putting everything into getting into the NFL.  Yeah, its lousy when it doesn't work out, but the way I see it, he has a shot at a multi-million dollar payday at the age of 22-23.  It's worth it to give yourself the very best chance to get it.  If it falls through for some reason such as injury, he is still only 22-23 years old and has PLENTY of time to start over on something else.  As far as I'm concerned, if you have a shot at getting the golden goose, go for it, and don't let anything else distract you.

• Like 5

On 6/12/2020 at 7:03 PM, RuskieTitan said:

What about HS seniors who suffer potential career-ending injuries? Then let's take it further down to middle schoolers?

Show me a HS or middle school football program that brings in millions. I'll wait.

13 minutes ago, D82 said:

Show me a HS or middle school football program that brings in millions. I'll wait.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2729443-72-million-for-a-high-school-stadium-in-texas-its-only-up-from-there

"It didn't cost taxpayer dollars—it was through sponsorships," he says of the screen, which measured (modest by today's standards) 100 square feet.

Building a 72 million dollar stadium from an article 3 years ago. 

https://www.wkrn.com/sports/high-school-football-championship-brings-millions-to-putnam-county/

“In the past, we’re between $2.5 and $3 million economic impact over the three days, so our hospitality partners are really happy and our community is as well,” said Zack Ledbetter, Vice President Visitor Development of Cookeville-Putnam County Chamber of Commerce.

Article about how a 3 day weekend has a multi-million dollar impact for Cookeville.

https://www.cnbc.com/id/100001024

For instance, a $60 million state-of-the-art high school football stadium that seats 18,000 – the money approved by voters in a local referendum - opened this past summer in Allen, Texas. Meanwhile, shoe company New Balance paid $500,000 last year to help refurbish an existing high school football stadium in Gloucester, Mass., as well as getting the stadium's naming rights.

Similar high school stadium naming deals with local businesses have been made across the U.S., including in Lakewood, Ohio ($320,000) and Noblesville, Indiana ($575,000).

Broadcasting rights and money are also expanding. Last summer, the New York City public school system negotiated a two-year, $500,000 contract with the MSG Varsity Network — a Cablevision network — to broadcast all types of high school athletic events.* And the California Interscholastic Federation just signed a 15-year deal with Time Warner Cable to broadcast high school football playoff games, for $8.5 million.

This is from an article from 2012... I'm sure you can imagine those sorts of deals only going up in $ amounts since then.

This was from a 5 minute, front page google search on "High school football bringing in millions". If you don't think high school football programs aren't bringing in millions in certain parts of the country, you are absolutely deluding yourself.

5 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2729443-72-million-for-a-high-school-stadium-in-texas-its-only-up-from-there

Building a 72 million dollar stadium from an article 3 years ago. 

https://www.wkrn.com/sports/high-school-football-championship-brings-millions-to-putnam-county/

Article about how a 3 day weekend has a multi-million dollar impact for Cookeville.

https://www.cnbc.com/id/100001024

This is from an article from 2012... I'm sure you can imagine those sorts of deals only going up in $ amounts since then.

This was from a 5 minute, front page google search on "High school football bringing in millions". If you don't think high school football programs aren't bringing in millions in certain parts of the country, you are absolutely deluding yourself.

That's...actually kind of ridiculous. 

Still though, as you said...in certain parts. Not every HS does. 

Every college football program does. Or at least, a larger majority do. 

• Like 1

On 6/20/2020 at 8:35 PM, D82 said:

That's...actually kind of ridiculous. 

Still though, as you said...in certain parts. Not every HS does. 

Every college football program does. Or at least, a larger majority do. 

Yeah, head to AZ and high school football is a joke. I played varsity as a 5'9", 115 lbs freshman with one year of junior peewee football experience. Meanwhile, my cousin was a bench-warmer until his junior year at Escondido High School in SoCal. He was 5'9" 145 lbs as a freshman and 5'11" 203 as a junior, had a great work ethic, tons of experience at camps, his cousin worked as a scout for the Chiefs, AND his dad was a (albeit short-term) Major League Baseball player. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/5/2020 at 7:42 PM, Thelonebillsfan said:

Yet another reason it's idiotic these guys don't get paid.

He just lost tens of millions of dollars, he could have at least made a little bit of that while playing with Clemson.

several months late to this post, but boy, this is a head scratcher. 

He was born with a condition, which is a reason that he should be paid to play in college? Huh?

• Like 2