TAPT Version 70.0 Steve Dowden follows the rules

ThatJerkDave

Been on a shark feeding dive..  about 60-70 feet deep.   Mostly black tip and lemon sharks but was amazing.      Dive master told us to grab on some coral at the bottom and hold on or we might not have arms to swim back up with.    Might have been total BS but watching those sharks tear through the bag of fish he was holding - I do admit to holding on pretty tight even if black tip and lemon's aren't particularly dangerous.  We swam around at the bottom for while afterwards and my head was on a serious swivel.    Rested a little easier thinking although I'm not the fastest swimmer, I know I'm faster than my wife

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

Dive master told us to grab on some coral at the bottom and hold on or we might not have arms to swim back up with.........

Whats the thinking behind this? I'm not making the connection on what difference it would make....so wondering.

9 minutes ago, Leader said:

Whats the thinking behind this? I'm not making the connection on what difference it would make....so wondering.

At 60-70 feet the motion of the ocean is enough to move you around (which is true of any depth I imagine) so it's natural to try to balance by waving your arms around.   Wavy arms can apparently look like tasty morsels and and an easy thing to grab to see just how tasty the rest of the animal might be.

26 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

At 60-70 feet the motion of the ocean is enough to move you around (which is true of any depth I imagine) so it's natural to try to balance by waving your arms around.   Wavy arms can apparently look like tasty morsels and and an easy thing to grab to see just how tasty the rest of the animal might be.

Makes sense!

I wonder if a massive pile of poop in the water would dissuade a shark.......

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

There ya go. Thought it might be something like "hold yourself in place" but was unsure. Thanks.
Would be an interesting experience......

Oh....were you wearing the "chain suit" or "armor?"

Edited by Leader

1 minute ago, Leader said:

There ya go. Thought it might be something like "hold yourself in place" but was unsure. Thanks.

Then you'd be a chew toy......

3 hours ago, Kampfgeist said:

Gnat in eye...in soo much pain.......must..get to ... footballs future...........and.....post ..... about it.......

makes sense to me. just wait until the topic of Rodgers' collarbone structural integrity comes up and you'll see how many medical experts we have in here.

Number 1 on my bucket list is cage diving and seeing a Great White up close.

Number 2 is seeing a toucan in the wild, not in a zoo.

Number 3 is seeing a saltwater crocodile or a Nile crocodile in the wild, not in a zoo.

Number 4 is seeing a brown bear in the wild, not in a zoo.

Number 5 was seeing an alligator in the wild, not in a zoo.  That one I accomplished.

11 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Number 3 is seeing a saltwater crocodile or a Nile crocodile in the wild, not in a zoo.

Number 5 was seeing an alligator in the wild, not in a zoo.  That one I accomplished.

1. Wolverine

2. Mountain Lion

3. Narwhal

4. Fisher

5. Canada Lynx

2 hours ago, Cakeshoppe said:

1. Wolverine

2. Mountain Lion

3. Narwhal

4. Fisher

5. Canada Lynx

I never thought of this list before...

Expedition to see the ‘white ghost’ Snow Leopard

Hiking with Mountain Gorillas

Climbing with Rocky Mountain Goats

Diving with a Whale Shark

Trekking with Orangutans

6 hours ago, Leader said:

Only the dive master wore chain - but just on his arms- fingers to shoulders.    There were probably 10? of us that dove to the bottom, held on and then the dive master jumped in with a bag of fish and just about every fish for miles swarmed him.    Looked like a massive ball of fish descending and then a shark would race in, all the fish would scatter and then come back  and then another shark would race in to grab a hunk o fish.  Very cool.   Probably 25-40 sharks total around us?  I actually have a VHS of the dive as there was a National Geographic photog that happened to be at the dive shop that day.   I, of course, have no VCR to play it or I would re-watch today.   All done in Tahiti.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

#1 would be amazing.   I'm in

#3, #5 Have seen crocodiles and alligators in the wild-  Australia for crocs and Florida and Louisiana for the alligators.    Do it.

#4 - Did you know brown bears can be black and black bears can be brown?   Look at the hump when they sit to determine which is which.  I was told once you can also look at their claws to distinguish....to which I responded that if I'm close enough to determine which bear by their claws I no longer give a %$^& what kind of bear it is

I would recommend seeing a Manta Ray in the ocean while diving as a definite must for anyone.   Really amazing experience - was a very peaceful, awe-inspiring moment for me.