TAPT Version 70.0 Steve Dowden follows the rules

ThatJerkDave

20 minutes ago, R T said:

Teenager Attacked and Pulled Underwater by Crocodile on Vacation in Mexico (msn.com)

Wow, I didn't even know that crocodiles vacationed in Mexico. This is good information to have. 

Why does the article point out multiple times that the crocodile sign was in Spanish...in Mexico. Like the implication is there was some sort of neglect by the authorities or property management lol

42 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I have been dealing with this, for real, since I was 16.  I hate when people use it as an excuse.

Have a son who deals with the real stress/anxiety issue daily.  I agree with you that people are now using it as an excuse when really they are taking the path of least resistance.  Mental health is real, path of least resistance is a choice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

I know I'm at risk of starting a ****-storm on here by bringing it up, and obviously mental health issues are real...but are people buying her position here? I see an athlete who went through a qualification round, didn't perform up to her standards (and neither did the team), was facing some real adversity to achieve gold despite Team USA being an overwhelming favorite, and the suddenly says "yea, I'm done, I'm stressed out." 

Is this going to become a trend now? 

Not only did she let the entire country down, but she let those cheating commie bastards take Gold. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dubz41 said:

Have a son who deals with the real stress/anxiety issue daily.  I agree with you that people are now using it as an excuse when really they are taking the path of least resistance.  Mental health is real, path of least resistance is a choice.

Conversely, why does the assumption by you two seem to be that she's simply using it as an "excuse". Everyone's mental health is different and, especially when a lapse in concentration could cause serious injury, it's good that folks are taking care of themselves instead of "pushing through" (which, imo, is an antiquated and toxic mindset).

She's also competed through some immense physical pain and injuries in the past, so if she's deciding to sit out and not set the team back, one would think that whatever is going on is pretty significant.

Edited by Striker
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Striker said:

Conversely, why does the assumption by you two seem to be that she's simply using it as an "excuse". Everyone's mental health is different and, especially when a lapse in concentration could cause serious injury, it's good that folks are taking care of themselves instead of "pushing through" (which, imo, is an antiquated and toxic mindset).

She's also competed through some immense physical pain and injuries in the past, so if she's deciding to sit out and not set the team back, one would think that whatever is going on is pretty significant.

Sorry I didn't mean to single her out.  It seems to be happening more often across the sports world though.  When you see someone struggle with it every.single.day. you get a little sensitive to it.  It was the most humbling experience of my life, something I had no idea how to deal with.  Nothing I could really effect to help, to be relegated to witness only.

It might be an unfair assumption, but I agree that everyone's mental health is different.  Mental exhaustion is not the same as mental illness, but they both have a connection with mental health.  That would be my perspective.

12 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Why does the article point out multiple times that the crocodile sign was in Spanish...in Mexico. Like the implication is there was some sort of neglect by the authorities or property management lol

Also, who could have known “cocodrilo” means “crocodile”? That pesky R moving around makes it impossible 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VonKarman said:

All my support to Simone Biles, mental health is a real thing. I have no reason to believe she's lying. Hope she gets better. It must have been really hard for her to admit something like that publicly.

Same. I suffer from chronic social anxiety, and there are days where (for seemingly no reason, nothing has “triggered” it - another real thing heartless people like to make fun of) being in public gives me panic attacks. I’ll be at the grocery store and feel like I need to get out as fast as possible, everyone is disgusted by me, etc… it’s an extremely weird feeling. 

I’m not saying there aren’t people who would use it as an excuse, or that a certain aspect of being a professional athlete is trying to persevere over that stuff, but I would never accuse a woman at the top of her profession of that without knowing her, and certainly they are under pressures that we cannot begin to comprehend. 

The thing I would stress to people who haven’t experienced panic attacks is that they are scary, you do not know why they’re happening, and you don’t know how to stop them in the moment. You’re almost watching someone else experience terror but it’s you. Idk if that’s what she’s going through, but our mental health can so easily betray us, it’s crazy. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

Same. I suffer from chronic social anxiety, and there are days where (for seemingly no reason, nothing has “triggered” it - another real thing heartless people like to make fun of) being in public gives me panic attacks. I’ll be at the grocery store and feel like I need to get out as fast as possible, everyone is disgusted by me, etc… it’s an extremely weird feeling. 

I’m not saying there aren’t people who would use it as an excuse, or that a certain aspect of being a professional athlete is trying to persevere over that stuff, but I would never accuse a woman at the top of her profession of that without knowing her, and certainly they are under pressures that we cannot begin to comprehend. 

The thing I would stress to people who haven’t experienced panic attacks is that they are scary, you do not know why they’re happening, and you don’t know how to stop them in the moment. You’re almost watching someone else experience terror but it’s you. Idk if that’s what she’s going through, but our mental health can so easily betray us, it’s crazy. 

Your words are what I was looking for last night when I was trying to respond, but kept deleting my comments.  The sheer fact that I have left a full cart of groceries, or taken 8 tries to go get my oil changed, or can't go visit my grandma (she lives like 5 hours away and I am only good for about two hours travelling, tops), always leaves me skeptical when people invoke the mental health excuse.  Hopefully she finds whatever help she needs.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

You’re almost watching someone else experience terror but it’s you.

I talk about this with my anxiety attacks all the time. It's almost like it isn't me, I'm like wow what's going on, I'm fine yet it's happening to me. It's such an odd thing to describe if someone hasn't experienced it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Norm said:

I talk about this with my anxiety attacks all the time. It's almost like it isn't me, I'm like wow what's going on, I'm fine yet it's happening to me. It's such an odd thing to describe if someone hasn't experienced it. 

I had no idea what a panic attack was....until about 2 years ago when I had one.  Don't know why, don't know how.  Do remember that I had to get out of a grocery store ASAP.  Sat in my vehicle with the AC on and shook for a couple of minutes.  Heart racing.  Really freaked my wife out.  About the only thing I can think of is...it was really, really hot, and there were a ton of people around.  Just really weird and happy it hasn't happened again.

• Like 1