TAPT Version 70.0 Steve Dowden follows the rules

ThatJerkDave

Y'all gonna HATE this but ABBA is absolutely without a doubt one of the "most important" bands in music. Swedish producers/songwriters have absolutely dominated the pop music world for better or worse for like the last 30 years and that is without a doubt the direct result of ABBA.

Max Martin is arguably the most influential person in pop music over the last 25 years. He has 25 number ones and an additional 50 top tens himself over that time. Literally ever major pop star has worked with him. Read recently he has had more songs chart than Madonna and Micheal Jackson COMBINED.

You can hate them as much you want and I wouldn't argue but they are definitely IMPORTANT.

Edited by wgbeethree
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

Y'all gonna HATE this but ABBA is absolutely without a doubt one of the "most important" bands in music. Swedish producers/songwriters have absolutely dominated the pop music world for better or worse for like the last 30 years and that is without a doubt the direct result of ABBA.

Max Martin is arguably the most influential person in pop music over the last 25 years. He has 25 number ones and an additional 50 top tens himself over that time. Literally ever major pop star has worked with him. Read recently he has had more songs chart than Madonna and Micheal Jackson COMBINED.

You can hate them as much you want and I wouldn't argue but they are definitely IMPORTANT.

Did not see that one coming. Cold slap in the face and definitely right on.

Most Important seems to imply that they had an effect and not just commercially successful.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Leader said:

You'd have to think so in so much as the original list is of "most important bands in history."

Agree @OneTwoSixFive - regards the elevation of Zeppelin - but again - they may not qualify as an important band - just a huge commercial success. Dont think Neil cuts it though. Like the guy a lot, but mostly due to his ensemble work with CSN&Y. He had a few notable hits with Crazy Horse...but not enough to warrant "most important band" status IMO.

If the requirement is not based on commercial success, but on "importance", you'd have to drop the Stones a lot further down.  IMO.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, mikebpackfan said:

If the requirement is not based on commercial success, but on "importance", you'd have to drop the Stones a lot further down.  IMO.

Perhaps so. Only caveat would be that the Beatles and Stones pretty much plowed the road for what came after. They were the "British Invasion"

Edited by Leader

7 hours ago, Leader said:

Stevie Van Zandt -    Ok. The top 10 most important bands in history according to me (today!).

1-Beatles
2-Rolling Stones
3-Who
4-Byrds
5-Kinks
6-Jimi Hendrix Experience
7-Bob Dylan and the Hawks
8-Sly and the Family Stone
9-Jeff Beck Group (w/Rod Stewart)
10-Prince & The Revolution

Hard to make a worse list.

4 hours ago, wgbeethree said:

Great post.

Also important to name Kraftwerk here, who were so far ahead of the curve in electronic music they had to invent their own instruments. Basically the Beatles of electronic music.

And a disturbing lack of Black Sabbath, who basically laid down the template that heavy metal and grunge have been using for 50 yrs now.

28 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Great post.

Also important to name Kraftwerk here, who were so far ahead of the curve in electronic music they had to invent their own instruments. Basically the Beatles of electronic music.

And a disturbing lack of Black Sabbath, who basically laid down the template that heavy metal and grunge have been using for 50 yrs now.

Was gonna mention kraftwerk as well

• Like 2

5 hours ago, wgbeethree said:

6 hours ago, VonKarman said:

Hard to make a worse list.

I feel like SVZ tripped himself up by saying "important" because then you are talking LEGACY. "Greatest" or "Best" you can just look at the work; The Kinks are pretty inarguably a "Great" band but sorta fail on the "Important" scale because 50+ yrs down the road, nobody wants to be "the next Kinks." As @wgbeethree pointed out, if we're looking at current significance, it's tough to downplay the role of ABBA in the pop world, Kraftwerk's impact on electronic music, and some early hip-hop band should be on there as well (Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five?) since rock is slowly sliding into irrelevance (which is a bummer for me, because I'm a rock guy). 

13 hours ago, R T said:

Interesting list. I get the Dylan thing, but if he uses Dylan than shouldn't Clapton be on there also? He does say bands and Clapton was a member of several, so maybe that is it. Zeppelin and U2 not being on the list makes me wonder if there is not something personal with Van Zandt and some of these other bands. Always a good debate. 

I agree. Though Stevie owned it as his list and he obvious was looking at Rock...

IMO Dylan belongs but so too does Clapton with the Yardbirds,  Bluesbreakers, Cream with (Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker), Derek and the Dominos.

Muddy Waters and his bands laid the path for Bluesmen greats like Jimmy Reed, Howlin' Wolf, T-Bone Walker, B.B. and Albert King, and was named as highly inspirational and influential by the Beatles, Stones and Clapton

Neil Young (Buffalo Springfield, CSNY, Crazy Horse) deserves consideration.

Hard to imagine Led Zeppelin and U2 not being included. The Clash were the inspiration for U2 and just about every aspiring band in Ireland and the UK that followed.

Difficult to argue with the Kinks being on the list, and The Ramones certainly changed everything when things were getting stale

Bob Marley and the Wailers deserve mention.

Dead Heads would wonder how the Grateful Dead were not given consideration. The Velvet Underground didn't give a **** about commercial success, but influenced everyone who followed. .

You're correct RT it is always a good debate, Perhaps it is impossible to contain a list like this to 10.  De gustibus non est disputandum

Edited by BAM
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Who?

In my last-but-one post I had The Who a tier below the top 10. Probably in the teens somewhere.

21 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Queen?

Ah ! That's why I said my list was an early list, I wanted to leave a little wiggle room for very significant bands I'd forgotten. Queen should certainly be in that top 10.....................but who would then miss out making my list from the bottom 4 choices (Jeff Beck, Neil Young, The Police, Cream) ?

Lists are a personal thing and for younger posters, bands like the Beatles might mean much less than they do to many older ones. Also, I agree it is pretty rock based and while I included Neil Young (who was often in a band, like CSNY or Crazy Horse), I left out people like Bowie, Presley and Dylan who were more often solo artists (in my mind anyway).

For me, the 10-20 range would include the one who missed out to make way for Queen in my earlier top 10, plus U2, Joy Division, Beach Boys, Abba, the Who, Supertramp. I'm not sure who would be in the remaining three choices, but Yes, The Sex Pistols, Santana and Velvet Underground are (for me) among those with a case. Someone earlier mentioned Black Sabbath, who do move the needle.

That doesn't leave room for the important but less recognised guys like Tom Scholz (Boston) who was so influential in creating new pedal effects and synthesizers. It also misses out on influential, but more fringe music, like Kraftwerk and Tangerine Dream as @Mr Bad Example pointed out so clearly. Much less well known bands like 'Gentle Giant' will never make a list like this, but they pushed the level of sophistication and complexity of music (and made 10 albums).

As always it is the wording that is key. Picking  'most important' is even harder than asking for 'the greatest' (and the greatest was closer to the rationale for my choices) which in itself is a tricky word, it can mean rather different things to different people........ and different choices for different age groups.

I do disagree with @mikebpackfan on the IMPORTANCE of the Stones (even though my choices were more 'greatest' than 'most important'). Their musical range was huge and their longevity is legendary. Many forget their awesome and varied production in the 60's (Not Fade Away, Mothers Little Helper, We Love You, Get off my Cloud, Paint it Black, Ruby Tuesday, Under my Thumb, It's all over Now, Jumping Jack Flash, Honky Tonk Women, Satisfaction, 19th Nervous Breakdown, Sympathy for the Devil, Out of Time, Time is on My Side, Street Fighting Man, Let's Spend the Night Together, 2,000 Light Years from Home).

Martin Scorcese loved 'Gimme Shelter' (1969) so much he used it three times in his films. Rick Beato, who you can find on youtube, spends huge time and effort breaking down over 100 songs in "What makes this song great" has a  Stones song as his all time favourite.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

2 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Rick Beato, who you can find on youtube, spends huge time and effort breaking down over a 100 songs in "What makes this song great" has a  Stones song as his all time favourite.

But "favourite" is another word that has a specific meaning to me....that means "I like it" and no real defense is needed, it's personal taste. My favourite song could be "Escape (The Pina Colada Song)"* and it doesn't really have to be great or important or anything, it just has to be something I like. Now if I start calling "Escape" a Great or Important song, I'm in a lot of trouble. 

* for example; in reality it's probably more like top 50

Has anybody seen the Cubs dignity?

Top of the 7th, Brewers up 13-1 looking to complete a 4 game sweep with a total series score of 33-6.

Would extend the winning streak over the Cubs to 9 consecutive games, total score 74-18

Cubs falling to 52-65

Brewers going up to 70-46