TAPT Version 70.0 Steve Dowden follows the rules

ThatJerkDave

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

Wall st is nervous

As they should be...but news like above (and further research....should ease that a bit). My "I'm not a virologist" thinking is we seem to have the basics of this virus down pat and mutations from the original will only require tweaking the current vaccines.....plus....this things around to stay....for awhile at least.

Hoping that @beekay414 can help me out here.

I see where the Bucks have signed Cousins to help play the 5 spot for a while.

I'm curious is this is a move that puts them in line for a title.

Like, I'm not sure I remember who won it all last year in the NBA, or how many games it took, or who the MVP of the Finals was.....

Robert Mann  -  To put LSU's new coaching hire in perspective, the Baton Rouge campus receives about $115 million annually in state appropriations for educational purposes for approx 34,000 students. So, LSU will give the new coach an amount equal to 1/10th of LSU's annual state appropriation.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Leader said:

Robert Mann  -  To put LSU's new coaching hire in perspective, the Baton Rouge campus receives about $115 million annually in state appropriations for educational purposes for approx 34,000 students. So, LSU will give the new coach an amount equal to 1/10th of LSU's annual state appropriation.

I get it, but this is only one level deep. That program has revenue that probably rivals the state appropriation. And profits at some significant multiple above the expense of the head coach.

It's justifiable.

5 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I get it, but this is only one level deep. That program has revenue that probably rivals the state appropriation. And profits at some significant multiple above the expense of the head coach.

It's justifiable.

Fine. Then cut the cost to the taxpayers.

13 minutes ago, Leader said:

State revenues are appropriately designated for educational purposes...

In 2020 LSU football generated $95.06 million in revenue... ticket sales, tv and contributions

While I think the coach is overpaid, it is an apples to oranges comparison

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Leader said:

Why would you want to cut education funding?

Fans of the football program are paying the coach's salary and "donating" even MORE money to the University. That doesn't mean the education programs should get less money...

Edited by incognito_man

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Why would you want to cut education funding?

Fans of the football program are paying the coach's salary and "donating" even MORE money to the University. That doesn't mean the education programs should get less money...

If the school has a proven profit center - i.e. football/sports and can maintain their budget via that profit center - then there's no need to cut funding to educational programs etc. Just divert $$ from that profit center to those programs and relieve the taxpayers burden. It doesnt have to be a loss "per se" - just a self sustaining system.

42 minutes ago, Leader said:

D1 football coaches are paid almost entirely by boosters, not the school. 

On 11/26/2021 at 10:46 AM, Leader said:

As they should be...but news like above (and further research....should ease that a bit). My "I'm not a virologist" thinking is we seem to have the basics of this virus down pat and mutations from the original will only require tweaking the current vaccines.....plus....this things around to stay....for awhile at least.

The Beta variant that was discovered a bit after the Alpha variant had a different hook protein than the original strain, Alpha and Delta. Our vaccines are built to identify and neutralize the hook proteins. 

For that reason Beta2 (I'm calling it for simplicity) has proven to be resistant to the vaccines (how resistant isn't super clear) we had, but it was ****ty at propagating. Consequently it wasn't anything to worry about. The concern was always that it was going to go through the Alpha -> Delta mutation where it would become far more effective at propogating without a significant change to the hook protein. That appears to have finally happened.

Consequently, if/when the current vaccine proves poor at attacking the Beta2, we're going to need another vaccine specifically designed for that hook protein.

+++

I'm also expecting an announcement any day that we're now looking at another huge jump from the variants with the original hook protein as far as they're propogating abilities, essentially a better Delta.

There's been discussion coming out of South Africa that announcement is coming out soon also. It's not getting the press because it should because (in theory) the current vaccine should work against it.

The fear is that it's going to be BAD for the unvaccinated.