TAPT Version 70.0 Steve Dowden follows the rules

ThatJerkDave

39 minutes ago, MaximusGluteus said:

I'm so pissed that I just learned about it yesterday.  That's what I get for being a hermit who doesn't pay attention to anything going on I guess.

The fed is going to try it's best to keep it from happening again.

Like it's okay in their eyes for huge hedge funds to do this on a regular basis to boost their earnings, but when individuals get together to do it themselves, then they have a problem.

But yah, it sure is facinating.

Read where some regular guy put 20k into Gamestop.  Cashed out a little early, but still I think he gained a little under 2M.  Crazy.  Just crazy.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Like it's okay in their eyes for huge hedge funds to do this on a regular basis to boost their earnings, but when individuals get together to do it themselves, then they have a problem.

Read where some regular guy put 20k into Gamestop.  Cashed out a little early, but still I think he gained a little under 2M.  Crazy.  Just crazy.

Could have made some easy money if I had been paying attention.  Such is hindsight I guess.

On 1/29/2021 at 11:33 AM, vegas492 said:

If you've made that sort of return, I don't think that qualifies as cashing out "early." 

• Like 1

Here's what I do get about the Gamestop imbroglio: Little guy pumps and dumps and costs big guy short sellers $$$$ and the system steps in to support the big guy.

Here's what I don't get about the Gamestop imbroglio: In a system ostensibly designed to capitalize businesses, was there ever an opportunity for Gamestop to use that capital to re-create itself, change its business model, or acquire new technology? Cuz that would have been cool to see.

I guess that is a fundamental lack of knowledge I have about stocks and capitalization. Mostly, stocks appear to be baseball cards that rise and fall in value according to the realized and potential successes of a corporation: cardboard and ink with value amounting only to public speculation over the matter. How does the corporation turn external speculations over its shares into actual capitalization?

7 hours ago, Uffdaswede said:

t stocks and capitalization. Mostly, stocks appear to be baseball cards that rise and fall in value according to the realized and potential successes of a corporation: cardboard and ink with value amounting only to public speculation over the matter. How does the corporation turn external speculations over its shares into actual capitalization?

By issuing more stock. 

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Man, I'm struggling lately.  Winter is kicking my tail.  I have little energy and just feel overly lethargic.  And I hate groundhogs.

I can only imagine, brother.  I remember what it was like living in the upper Midwest in the winter.  As much as I love the area, I really don’t miss the winters.  I live in the southwest Rockies now and I’ve been skiing and golfing on the same weekend several times already this winter.  Just can’t beat the weather.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

I can only imagine, brother.  I remember what it was like living in the upper Midwest in the winter.  As much as I love the area, I really don’t miss the winters.  I live in the southwest Rockies now and I’ve been skiing and golfing on the same weekend several times already this winter.  Just can’t beat the weather.

I'm going to "like" you post, though I hate you for posting it!  :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sasquatch said:

Northern Arizona, maybe Flagstaff-ish?  I've been eyeing the SW Rockies up for a future move due to the weather you speak of.

2 minutes ago, MaximusGluteus said:

Northern Arizona, maybe Flagstaff-ish?  I've been eyeing the SW Rockies up for a future move due to the weather you speak of.

Flagstaff is awesome, and very similar to the weather we have in the Santa Fe area.  You get four beautiful seasons - none of which are too harsh.  The sun is out every day.  The upper Midwest might be more tolerable if not for the gray blanket that covers the region for most of the winter.

36 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Flagstaff is awesome, and very similar to the weather we have in the Santa Fe area.  You get four beautiful seasons - none of which are too harsh.  The sun is out every day.  The upper Midwest might be more tolerable if not for the gray blanket that covers the region for most of the winter.

Besides the weather, how do you like Santa Fe?

1 minute ago, MaximusGluteus said:

Besides the weather, how do you like Santa Fe?

It’s amazing!  The culture, world-class food and art, history, architecture, and recreational amenities are incredible.  It’s high desert surrounded by snow-capped mountains.  The only downside is that it’s not all that affordable to live here.  But there are communities in and around Santa Fe that are, and they have access to the same amenities - and 365 days of sun and crisp, clear blue skies.

The highs have been in the high 50’s, lows 60’s the past several weeks.  At an elevation of 7,000 feet, we get to enjoy these temps, but within minutes be up to 12,000 feet where it’s winter and we can ski.  It’s supposed to drop down into the 30’s this weekend, then back up to the 50’s next weekend.  I can’t imagine ever leaving here.