TAPT Version 70.0 Steve Dowden follows the rules

ThatJerkDave

46 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

You self-identity with a group that is statistically far more unlikely to get vaccinated than the "other" group.

You're suggesting that saying "Men have lower life expectancy than women" is stereotyping. It's not. It's just factual. Even if you're a 107 year old man.

It's wonderful you're among the population of vaccinated conservatives, but the fact remains that conservatives are more likely to die from Covid now than their more highly vaccinated counterpart progressives.

Biologically a man and woman are different, not the same as labeling like people into groups. 

11 minutes ago, R T said:

Biologically a man and woman are different, not the same as labeling like people into groups. 

Huh?

This doesn't counter anything I said.

It's not stereotyping to acknowledge factually accurate information about a group. Full stop.

And it's factually accurate to state that demographic splits on vaccination are more starkly dividend by political identification than anything else:

https://www.wpr.org/gop-men-are-most-likely-say-theyll-refuse-covid-19-vaccine

Every major poll/publication collects data on this sort of thing. They are not stereotyping. It's just data. 

It appears to be data/labels you are unfortunately uncomfortable with. I get it, sometimes people don't always agree or respect the decisions of others in their "group", but labeling the reporting of this info as "stereotyping" or "labeling" is inaccurate.

Edited by incognito_man

13 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Huh?

It's not stereotyping to acknowledge factually accurate information about a group. Full stop.

I actually agree with this statement, but I have to laugh because for just about every semi-controversial topic there is to discuss, what is a considered a "stereotype" by one group is often based on factually accurate information according to the other group. That's largely because these days, most people don't even accept facts as "facts." There's always some explanation given that those "facts" are wrong, misleading, biased, you name it. 

40 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Huh?

This seems to happen time to time with you and I, we end up talking about 2 different things. My original comment was addressing lumping all conservatives in with alt-right, anti vaccine people who would kill themselves over loyalty to Trump, which isn't correct. The vast majority of conservatives are not in that group. 

As of 6 AM July 15th, 48.3 percent of the population was vaccinated and a good percentage of those 48.3 percent are conservatives like it or not. As much as people want to spin it as one group is for vaccination and one isn't, there is a large number of people on both sides of the political aisle not vaccinated. 

To my original point, labeling is divisive and counter to unity for common good.   

Edited by R T

17 minutes ago, R T said:

My original comment was addressing lumping all conservatives in with alt-right, anti vaccine people who would kill themselves over loyalty to Trump, which isn't correct

I agree with you that is not factually correct.

I disagree with you that the person you replied to did what you claim.

That's the distinction here, I think.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, R T said:

This seems to happen time to time with you and I, we end up talking about 2 different things. My original comment was addressing lumping all conservatives in with alt-right, anti vaccine people who would kill themselves over loyalty to Trump, which isn't correct. The vast majority of conservatives are not in that group. 

As of 6 AM July 15th, 48.3 percent of the population was vaccinated and a good percentage of those 48.3 percent are conservatives like it or not. As much as people want to spin it as one group is for vaccination and one isn't, there is a large number of people on both sides of the political aisle not vaccinated. 

To my original point, labeling is divisive and counter to unity for common good.   

Polling has shown for a while now that Democrats were more likely to get vaccinated than Republicans. A NPR/PBS-NewsHour/Marist College poll from earlier this month showed that 82% said they were vaccinated compared to a mere 45% of Republicans. The stats revealed a similar split between Biden backers (82%) and Trump supporters (44%).

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/23/politics/vaccine-map-2020-election-analysis/index.html

A MAJORITY of Republicans (and since y'all vote for Trump and Trump supporters, I'm just thinking all of you are Trumpists) are not vaccinated. Make of that what  you will. I was unable to find a solid % of people who the vaccine is contraindicated for, but I wouldn't argue it's probably less than the unvaccinated 18% of liberals (my dummy ex-wife is one of those). Still, the differentiation is stark. A majority of Republicans are putting the health of themselves, their family, their community, and their country at risk for no good reason I can think of. 

CNN -  With Covid-19 cases rising in all 50 states, health officials say it's clear that unvaccinated people are both driving the increase in cases and are most at risk.

"This is becoming a pandemic of the unvaccinated," US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Dr. Rochelle Walensky said during Friday's White House Covid-19 briefing. "We are seeing outbreaks of cases in parts of the country that have low vaccination coverage because unvaccinated people are at risk," Walensky said. Meantime, "communities that are fully vaccinated are generally faring well."

According to White House coronavirus coordinator Jeff Zients, just four states made up 40% of Covid-19 cases in the past week, "with one in five cases occurring in Florida alone."

Florida authorities are mobilizing vaccination efforts in the wake of rising Covid-19 cases.

But cases are rising in all 50 states and Washington, DC, with the average of new cases at least 10% higher than a week ago -- and 38 states are seeing at least a 50% increase, according to a CNN analysis of data from Johns Hopkins University.

The US recorded an average of 26,448 new cases per day over the last week -- up 67% from the week before -- and case rates are highest in states with lower vaccination rates: Among those states that have fully vaccinated less than half its residents, the average Covid-19 case rate was 11 new cases per 100,000 people last week, compared to 4 per 100,000 among states that have fully vaccinated more than half its residents.
Many experts have attributed the rise to slowing vaccination rates with just 48.4% of the US population fully vaccinated.

Edited by Leader