TAPT Version 70.0 Steve Dowden follows the rules

ThatJerkDave

Btw.....I was recently told that Golfman was a COVID denier and that he died of COVID. I've no clue where this thought originated or how far & wide it's spread - but it's not true. He's very much alive. I've no clue (#2) about his thinking regards COVID.

31 minutes ago, Leader said:

Btw.....I was recently told that Golfman was a COVID denier and that he died of COVID. I've no clue where this thought originated or how far & wide it's spread - but it's not true. He's very much alive. I've no clue (#2) about his thinking regards COVID.

Please keep us updated as this story develops

46 minutes ago, Norm said:

I'm glad they don't work for real though. I have wandered around forgetting what I was doing like five times now

I take it everyone else is either on vacay or working from home?

This work from home stuff is going to really shake up the economic and demographic fabric of this country. Admittedly, I'm pretty uneasy about it simply because of how we function and communicate given our immediate environment. Several of my co-workers have been in discussion as to whether we want to split time between the office and home, go full-blown at home, or full blown at the office. Personally, I've got pets and kids running around so I can't exactly provide my 100%, undivided attention when working from home though it fortunately hasn't affected my work. I cannot say the same for others who have fortunately caught themselves; thus, the debate at hand. Our bosses are staying out of it so long as we're still "getting done what needs to get done."

How about y'all?

6 minutes ago, Joe said:

I take it everyone else is either on vacay or working from home? This work from home stuff is going to really shake up the economic and demographic fabric of this country. Admittedly, I'm pretty uneasy about it simply because of how we function and communicate given our immediate environment. Several of my co-workers have been in discussion as to whether we want to split time between the office and home, go full-blown at home, or full blown at the office. Personally, I've got pets and kids running around so I can't exactly provide my 100%, undivided attention when working from home though it fortunately hasn't affected my work. I cannot say the same for others who have fortunately caught themselves; thus, the debate at hand. Our bosses are staying out of it so long as we're still "getting done what needs to get done." How about y'all?

Another aspect of working inside/from the office is that many offices are centrally or collectively located - providing rents and supporting real estate values - plus support to the local / surrounding economy: restaurants, shops, parking garages etc (read: jobs).

Edited by Leader
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Joe said:

I take it everyone else is either on vacay or working from home?

This work from home stuff is going to really shake up the economic and demographic fabric of this country. Admittedly, I'm pretty uneasy about it simply because of how we function and communicate given our immediate environment. Several of my co-workers have been in discussion as to whether we want to split time between the office and home, go full-blown at home, or full blown at the office. Personally, I've got pets and kids running around so I can't exactly provide my 100%, undivided attention when working from home though it fortunately hasn't affected my work. I cannot say the same for others who have fortunately caught themselves; thus, the debate at hand. Our bosses are staying out of it so long as we're still "getting done what needs to get done."

How about y'all?

No working from home has happened much here, but we're really small, 8 full time and pretty spread out anyways. But people are on a work trip and then couple others took some time off. Every time big boss is gone, all the sudden everyone just has to be gone for something. 

The other annoying part is the old lady works 3pm-11 so if I go straight home after work I basically talk to like two human beings over the course of an entire day and it gets old

Edited by Norm

5 minutes ago, Norm said:

The other annoying part is the old lady works 3pm-11 so if I go straight home after work I basically talk to like two human beings over the course of an entire day and it gets old

So go to the bar. At least you can try to convince the other guys not to take your stool :)

I work for a big semiconductor corporation and they've been all over the map on WFH.  Our local office is currently at about 50% in office and doesn't look like they can relax that any time soon.  Really think that ultimately they are going to have to allow WFH if they want to hire anyone, but their current threat is to not allow WFH long term for all engineering, even though the corporate mandate is to allow 2 days/wk at home.   Hiring is nearly impossible already, but being inflexible with this will only add to that problem. 

Personally, I basically got a flimsy medical exemption to stay at home currently and I love it.  I'm fortunate to have a big place, so when I'm in my makeshift office in the basement, I can work pretty much undisturbed.  And no daily commute is fantastic.  If I have to go back 5 days/wk, I'm gonna be irritated.