Jump to content
Mid Iowa

Can we please talk about football?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

In light of what's happening in our country right now, I'd really love to chat about football. 

I'm excited to see what Payton & crew are putting together for a game plan. We've got sooo much talent, and a group of new talent, and some serious competition in our own division, this could be an epic year!

 

And by the way, peace to you all. I hope you are safe and well.

Edited by Mid Iowa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Mid Iowa, hope you are doing well mate and are safe. I'd love to talk about football.

 

So I gotta say, maybe it's my hype getting the better of me but I'm really liking our draft and UDFA haul. I think camp is going to be a really competitive one as far as spots go.

- Joe Bachie Jr. has the highest chance to make the team IMO. I think if he can show he's not a complete liability in coverage, and his athleticism is as shows at the combine, I think he's going to put pressure on guys like Elliss and Robertson. His combine results were interesting to me. They were comparable to a guy like Cory Littleton (for Rams now Raiders LBer). His ability to diagnose and then read and react are top notch, and he was great against the run. Add in a captain, and if he can show potential in coverage (and by extention foot speed), I think he's got a really good chance to make the team.

- Malcolm Roach is also interesting. A buddy told me this, but at the combine he actually tested with EDGE players rather than interior D-linemen. In terms of interior linemen athleticism, he's pretty up there. Interesting to see if Ryan Nielsen sees some potential and use for him, if so he's going to put pressure on a guy like Mario Edwards Jr.

- Throckmorton has the chance to put guys like Clapp and Tom out of a job. He's someone who has legitimately played all 5 spots on the O-line. He's similar to Joe Bachie Jr., in the sense that he has to show he has quick enough feet. I know we signed former Ravens RT in James Hurst to a deal so I'm guessing he's competing too. Keep an eye on Ethan Greenridge from Villanova. We picked him up as a UDFA the previous year, and he has all the measurements for a LT. We kept him on the roster but was never active for gameday, I reckon they think he might get snatched up if he's on the PS. A year learning behind Armstead and Ramcyzk and our terrific O-line coaches should help. We'll see how much.

- Keith Washington is kind of a wildcard too. He's a CB who has good measurements for an outside CB. Was one of the better cover guys in the East-West Shrine practices. Our talent behind Lattimore and Jenkins is thin, so if he can impress, I wouldn't be surprise if he wins a spot. We desperately need some quality back up behind both of those guys, and hopefully Washington becomes that guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Bachie makes the team even if it's only for special teams.  He's a sure tackler that follows assignments well so at the very least he'd be good there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So...uh we going to talk about Brees response regarding kneeing and how MT and Emmanual Sanders responded or should we just ignore it and hope for the best?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Canadian Saint said:

So...uh we going to talk about Brees response regarding kneeing and how MT and Emmanual Sanders responded or should we just ignore it and hope for the best?

Drew Brees needs to sit down and shut up. He’s obviously ignorant on the situation, and he’s only going to hurt his relationship with his teammates and the fans. 

Edited by Dome

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Dome said:

Drew Brees needs to sit down and shut up. He’s obviously ignorant on the situation, and he’s only going to hurt his relationship with his teammates and the fans. 

He's getting killed right now in all directions. Jenkins had a video which ended telling Brees to shut the eff up, Lattimore, Kamara, MT and Emmanual Sanders all unfollowed him on twitter. Let alone the other NFL players and media starting to pick up on it and sharing their disappointment. He really needs to shut up and start fixing his relationship with his teammates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Canadian Saint said:

He's getting killed right now in all directions. Jenkins had a video which ended telling Brees to shut the eff up, Lattimore, Kamara, MT and Emmanual Sanders all unfollowed him on twitter. Let alone the other NFL players and media starting to pick up on it and sharing their disappointment. He really needs to shut up and start fixing his relationship with his teammates.

I don’t know what he was thinking. He’s not an impulsive person who pops off when he’s emotional. This is what he really believes. 

He truly doesn’t get it, that’s the sad part. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Dome said:

I don’t know what he was thinking. He’s not an impulsive person who pops off when he’s emotional. This is what he really believes. 

He truly doesn’t get it, that’s the sad part. 

 

I'm with you. I just don't get it. Even if he said something cookie cutter like "With my upbringing, I can't agree to kneeling during the anthem, however I do support others kneeling and understand why do so. It's their right to do so." Or something like that, I think it would've gone over fine. Yet he goes full dumbass with this statement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

All of Brees' receivers stopped following him on IG. 

Edited by PapaShogun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really drew wow never would’ve thought him tho he seemed smart

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/2/2020 at 2:23 PM, Canadian Saint said:

Hey Mid Iowa, hope you are doing well mate and are safe. I'd love to talk about football.

I've been well, and thanks for asking! Just working and doing my best to build better relationships with my circle. Between Covid and Floyd, people need people now more than ever, in my opinion.

On 6/2/2020 at 2:23 PM, Canadian Saint said:

- Joe Bachie Jr.

I agree with your assessment, and yes, the only real concern I have is his coverage ability. He's not overly fast, but he's a heat seeker. His run game is really good, and his ability to diagnose plays seems to be on point. We'll see how this transfers to the pro level, but I'm really happy with the pick up.

On 6/2/2020 at 2:23 PM, Canadian Saint said:

- Malcolm Roach

Do you think he'll become some sort of hybrid player? This type of player could be really beneficial in short yardage, yet if he's got edge type agility and speed, he could be the beneficiary of coverage sacks.
We're going to need speed and agility to keep up with Bridgewater & McCaffery, Let alone the Brady crew.

On 6/2/2020 at 2:23 PM, Canadian Saint said:

- Throckmorton

Something the 49ers did that I've been impressed is, they spent 5 years drafting a killer D-line. 5 first round picks. Look at what the Saints have done recently, and it's similar. Our O-line has quickly become one of the best in the league, and getting better. We've got versatility, depth, and talent. Whoever takes Brees's spot will have a prime entry. A great line, really good backfield, and a really good receiving group with the best WR in the game. This O-line is stout!!

On 6/2/2020 at 2:23 PM, Canadian Saint said:

- Keith Washington

Slowly but surely, we're getting some depth in the secondary. Washington has size, and now he can get the coaching of 2 really good CB's. I don't know how smart he is regarding his ability to read & react without blowing his coverage by missing his assignment, but everything else looks good.
It's hard to not be excited about our secondary with the return of M. Jenkins,  the emergence of Gardner-Johnson, and the re-signing of J Jenkins. Plus you have Lattimore playing for a contract.

There's a lot to be excited about!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Dome said:

Drew Brees needs to sit down and shut up. He’s obviously ignorant on the situation, and he’s only going to hurt his relationship with his teammates and the fans. 

The death, and manner of death that killed George Floyd is beyond horrific, and we ALL should be looking at things differently right now, and we ALL should be peacefully speaking out against racial (and all) injustice.

A sad part to me is that Brees has remained consistent in his message since 2016, and now the feeling towards his words are suddenly different? Or is it now that people are paying attention to his words? Or is it that the straw finally broke the camel's back, and the timing of his statement sucks? Or maybe all of this...

I highly doubt Brees doesn't care about racial injustice, in fact, I'd argue that with him being an NFL QB, he's probably surrounded by more Black friends and co-workers than most people in the US. He probably employs a great number of Black folks in his restaurants and other businesses. So to say he doesn't understand, may be a long shot. And, I suppose he's also a rich white guy, so he's automatically got 2 strikes against him.

Our flag is about freedom, and our freedom needs improvement.
The National Anthem is about "One Nation", and we're divided now more than we've been in a long time.
Kneeling during the display of these combined tributes is a show of solidarity, unity, remembrance, and awareness. Sitting on the bench (Drew's original beef) or staying in the locker room is not. In fact, sitting or staying in the locker room is more divisive than unifying. But so is looting.

I truly hope Brees contacts his teammates, one by one, personally, and mends his relationship. It's obvious that he meant no harm, but the timing of his statement is as bad as it could ever be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

The death, and manner of death that killed George Floyd is beyond horrific, and we ALL should be looking at things differently right now, and we ALL should be peacefully speaking out against racial (and all) injustice.

A sad part to me is that Brees has remained consistent in his message since 2016, and now the feeling towards his words are suddenly different? Or is it now that people are paying attention to his words? Or is it that the straw finally broke the camel's back, and the timing of his statement sucks? Or maybe all of this...

I highly doubt Brees doesn't care about racial injustice, in fact, I'd argue that with him being an NFL QB, he's probably surrounded by more Black friends and co-workers than most people in the US. He probably employs a great number of Black folks in his restaurants and other businesses. So to say he doesn't understand, may be a long shot. And, I suppose he's also a rich white guy, so he's automatically got 2 strikes against him.

Our flag is about freedom, and our freedom needs improvement.
The National Anthem is about "One Nation", and we're divided now more than we've been in a long time.
Kneeling during the display of these combined tributes is a show of solidarity, unity, remembrance, and awareness. Sitting on the bench (Drew's original beef) or staying in the locker room is not. In fact, sitting or staying in the locker room is more divisive than unifying. But so is looting.

I truly hope Brees contacts his teammates, one by one, personally, and mends his relationship. It's obvious that he meant no harm, but the timing of his statement is as bad as it could ever be. 

Well said my man, well said

Someone forward this to Tom Condon 

 

 

edit: I will add that brees having black friends and employing minorities at his restaurants doesn’t mean he’s immune to showing his ignorance. Donald Sterling had black employees too. I’m not comparing the two, I’m just pointing out that logic can be flawed. 

Edited by Dome

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Drew Brees is handling his misstep with grace. Hopefully the team and community looks at this as an opportunity to embrace and educate rather than push him out.

 

Edited by Dome

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×